Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Northwestern football players win right to unionize

Re: Northwestern football players win right to unionize

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Understood, but I would guess that the people of Nebraska would gladly pay a tiny tax to continue subsidizing Nebraska football because they find it to be valuable to them, the same way they do with libraries, parks, and rec centers. Everything has a value.
    I assume you are talking state level tax. I doubt everyone in the state of Nebraska feels that way. And what about states that have a large number of Division 1 colleges. Do you impose a bunch of 'tiny' taxes to support all of the schools? At what point does tiny become not so tiny.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I assume you are talking state level tax. I doubt everyone in the state of Nebraska feels that way. And what about states that have a large number of Division 1 colleges. Do you impose a bunch of 'tiny' taxes to support all of the schools? At what point does tiny become not so tiny.
    I will never get to that point. I was simply demonstrating how much some of these programs mean to their states. Besides, if I want to win people over to my side of this argument, I don't think proposing new taxes is the way to go.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

4. Likes:

I love that the Northwestern kid came up with the idea of unionizing from a class he was taking called, "Contemporary Issues in the Modern Workplace". As he was sitting in the class, he realized that this stuff applied to him and college football in general. He also talks about being steered away from more difficult classes and classes that conflicted with practice. It would have been funny if his advisor had made sure he didn't take any economics classes or anything with the word "labor" in the title.

One of the potential outcomes of paying players (or at least differentiating their compensation) is that it could somewhat neuter the massive power of head coaches. As it stands, every player with a scholarship gets the same benefits package, which often makes the differentiator between schools the head coach. If the compensation packages change, then the power of coaches might change as well.

Personally, I'm for anything that neuters the head coaches.

7. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-03-2014)

I honestly believe this will have negligible effect on the payroll afforded to most football and basketball players. The truth is that beyond the top 50-100 players, I doubt many players will make that much above their current scholarship dollars.
    And I believe that as such, it won't have a big impact on the remaining non-revenue sports because they provide just as much value.
    *One exception may be the number of women's progams built pretty much solely to counter the 85 football scholarships.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Maybe the Northwestern players just want to be un-ionized. There's too much static electricity in the locker room.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Emmert, concerning the unionization of college athletes, said, "It would blow up everything about the collegiate model of athletics."

Yep.

Maybe the private institutions could form their own league-the minor leagues which I guess really would only be for football.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

One of the things I have begun hearing is that the NCAA is going to give some more autonomy to the bigger schools and bigger conferences. I'm really surprised this hasn't happened earlier. Schools like Ohio State and Texas have really limited themselves by agreeing to play by the same rules as someone like Akron. I could really see some sort of Super Division 1 of schools that can really afford to give more to their players.

In Football, this could easily comprise around 40 schools. Not only would this benefit the kids involved, but it just might eliminate a large chunk of those meaningless games teams pad their schedules with early in the season. My mother in law splits season tickets to Ohio State football, and their home slate of games is embarrassing considering the prices they charge.

Just for fun, here would be my list of schools that would make this cut. Ohio State, Penn St., Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida State, Miami, Pittsburgh, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, LSU, Arkansas, Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri, Auburn, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St. Arizona St., Arizona, UCLA, USC, Cal, Notre Dame, Washington, Oregon, Kansas, Iowa, and Stanford. I'm sure there are more on the fringes of that list (like TCU, TT, BYU, Cincinnati, Louisville, Syracuse, etc...), and some that I've just missed. But, if that were a "league" like the NFL, it would be tremendous.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    One of the things I have begun hearing is that the NCAA is going to give some more autonomy to the bigger schools and bigger conferences. I'm really surprised this hasn't happened earlier. Schools like Ohio State and Texas have really limited themselves by agreeing to play by the same rules as someone like Akron. I could really see some sort of Super Division 1 of schools that can really afford to give more to their players.

In Football, this could easily comprise around 40 schools. Not only would this benefit the kids involved, but it just might eliminate a large chunk of those meaningless games teams pad their schedules with early in the season. My mother in law splits season tickets to Ohio State football, and their home slate of games is embarrassing considering the prices they charge.

Just for fun, here would be my list of schools that would make this cut. Ohio State, Penn St., Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida State, Miami, Pittsburgh, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, LSU, Arkansas, Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri, Auburn, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St. Arizona St., Arizona, UCLA, USC, Cal, Notre Dame, Washington, Oregon, Kansas, Iowa, and Stanford. I'm sure there are more on the fringes of that list (like TCU, TT, BYU, Cincinnati, Louisville, Syracuse, etc...), and some that I've just missed. But, if that were a "league" like the NFL, it would be tremendous.
    Just do away with "college" football altogether. The teams that can afford it can go pro, and keep their names and colors by leasing facilities and licensing the name, logos, and colors from the universities. Teams that can't just disappear. The universities no longer offer scholarships for football and can then use their scholarship allotment to men's sports under Title 9 to reinstate all those hockey, wrestling, and men's soccer programs that got cut.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

The easiest response is to simply eliminate scholarships.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Mark Emmert is slowly starting to make me think unionization is a good idea every time he opens his mouth.

On Dan Patrick, said if he was a football player he wouldn't want to be paid anymore than his scholarship.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

16. Likes:

Slyder (04-22-2014)

No union for the Northwestern players.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...163841276.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    No union for the Northwestern players.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...163841276.html
    The outcome isn't surprising, but I didn't expect them to punt so readily on the issue of whether or not college athletes are "employees" -- that seemed to be the easiest way to stop this case in it's tracks.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?