Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dr. Jack Ramsey passes away at 89.

Dr. Jack Ramsey passes away at 89.

Coaching Legend of the NBA (voted 10 greatest ever by the NBA).

Led St. Joseph's to 7 League titles including an appearance in the Final Four.

Coached the 76er's in the late 60's/early 70's, the Buffalo Braves in the early/mid 70's (Ernie D, McAdoo, Smith), and the Trailblazers after that for nine seasons winning one NBA Championship. After one more stint Coaching, retired to broadcasting for Philadelphia and Miami, while working with ESPN for three more decades. Probably the most respected Coach among other NBA Coaches of all-time.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...ay-dead-at-89/

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...to_passin.html

“I just look at Jack as one of the premier coaches,” said Pat Riley, who coached the Los Angeles Lakers to four NBA titles and the Miami Heat to one. “And he could be considered the most premier coach in the NBA. It has nothing to do with how many games a coach wins or titles. He was a coach’s coach.”

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...l_of_fame.html

Name:  -d0a01811b941aa60.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  74.3 KB
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-28-2014 at 04:41 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Likes:

BillDoran (04-28-2014), Roy Tucker (04-30-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dr. Jack Ramsey passes away at 89.

I always liked the way he spoke, his pacing, he seemed intelligent. I liked him a lot. RIP.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Yay!

I probably learned as much about pro basketball by watching games Ramsay was calling than I did through any other means. He was the best analyst in the business.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Coaching Legend of the NBA (voted 10 greatest ever by the NBA).

Led St. Joseph's to 7 League titles including an appearance in the Final Four.

Coached the 76er's in the late 60's/early 70's, the Buffalo Braves in the early/mid 70's (Ernie D, McAdoo, Smith), and the Trailblazers after that for nine seasons winning one NBA Championship. After one more stint Coaching, retired to broadcasting for Philadelphia and Miami, while working with ESPN for three more decades. Probably the most respected Coach among other NBA Coaches of all-time.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...ay-dead-at-89/

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...to_passin.html

“I just look at Jack as one of the premier coaches,” said Pat Riley, who coached the Los Angeles Lakers to four NBA titles and the Miami Heat to one. “And he could be considered the most premier coach in the NBA. It has nothing to do with how many games a coach wins or titles. He was a coach’s coach.”

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...l_of_fame.html

Name:  -d0a01811b941aa60.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  74.3 KB
    That picture is fantastic.

And if you want some great insight into Dr. Jack or have an interest in one of the best basketball books ever written, pick up Halberstam's "Breaks of the Games," as he follows the post-Championship Blazers.

7. Likes:

Roy Tucker (04-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post

And if you want some great insight into Dr. Jack or have an interest in one of the best basketball books ever written, pick up Halberstam's "Breaks of the Games," as he follows the post-Championship Blazers.
    I'm embarrassed that I haven't read that, yet. Got to get to it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post

Thanks. I'll have to remember to look for that book on Amazon.

I always liked Ramsey. He was very articulate and seemed very smart. I enjoyed that 1977 Trail Blazer team as much as any team I have ever watched in sports. They were the epitome of team basketball. They would have won it all the next season if not for all the injuries.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Dr. Jack is an absolute legend in Portland (rightfully so). I'm looking forward to their next home game to see the outpouring of respect for the man that not only brought a championship to Rip city, but was a mentor to so many in the game since his departure from coaching. Class act, all the way.

Bit of Jack trivia.....he had Moses Malone as a Blazer during preseason of their championship year, but didn't think they needed a low block center, so he was traded to Houston. To imagine what could have been....WoW!
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Dr. Jack is an absolute legend in Portland (rightfully so). I'm looking forward to their next home game to see the outpouring of respect for the man that not only brought a championship to Rip city, but was a mentor to so many in the game since his departure from coaching. Class act, all the way.

Bit of Jack trivia.....he had Moses Malone as a Blazer during preseason of their championship year, but didn't think they needed a low block center, so he was traded to Houston. To imagine what could have been....WoW!
    I sat by my radio in my room on the floor and listened to a pre-season game in October of 1976 (Senior year in High School) where Malone had 20 rebounds....at Halftime! They were trying to figure out if they should keep Lucas or Malone, but ultimately Malone was more of a Center, so they didn't keep him. Crazy. And, this was a team that had drafted LaRue Martin with the 1st overall pick of the draft in 1972, just four years earlier, yet let Malone slip through their hands. They really had trouble recognizing Centers for a while back then. But, they did steal Duckworth from San Antonio a few years after the Bowie fiasco. And, with the highway robbery of Robin Lopez over the rest of the NBA, they finally got themselves a legitimate Center. Their best move last year though was firing the head of their medical staff, who had been in charge for 20 years. He's gone, and all of a sudden they have no significant injuries. Go figure.

Yes, I should go to the Goodwill and find a Jack Ramsey special of pants/sportcoat. Might be hard to find by Friday (if Houston wins on Wednesday). I'm sure many will be wearing plaid.

I think it very safe to say the Blazers have been cursed at the center position. It's quite stunning when you look at it, despite a few jewels they've found. I
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

That '77 team was about as good of a basketball team as you'll ever find. Walton, Maurice Lucas, Lionel Hollins, Johnny Davis (from UD), and I can't remember the small forward.

RIP Dr Jack. A great coach and basketball man.

Pay attention to the open sky

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-01-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    That '77 team was about as good of a basketball team as you'll ever find. Walton, Maurice Lucas, Lionel Hollins, Johnny Davis (from UD), and I can't remember the small forward.

RIP Dr Jack. A great coach and basketball man.
    Bobby Gross. He had to guard Dr. J. Still does stuff with the team. His wife Cindi was head of season tickets. TMI.

Found it odd that with 65 seconds left down by nine Stotts quit and threw in the towel on a night he was honoring Ramsey. Ramsey never did that once his whole career, nor did Adelman, whom Ramsey taught how to coach. I saw that '77 team come back from 10 with a minute left and win it in regulation without 3-point shots. There's plenty of time to at least keep trying.

16. Likes:

Roy Tucker (05-04-2014)

Turn Off Ads?