Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB.com Top 20 Reds Prospects-2014

MLB.com Top 20 Reds Prospects-2014

The list has been updated, and looks much more realistic now.(No Wright or Buckley in the Top 10)

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=cin

Their new Top 10:

Stepehenson
    Hamilton
    Ervin
    Winker
    Lorenzen
    Contreras
    Holmberg
    Travieso
    Yorman
    Guillion

2. Turn Off Ads?
    thorn

Re: MLB.com Top 20 Reds Prospects-2014

Looks like Dayton's rotation is going to be fun to watch, all 5 in the top 20 if Lively starts there.

Anybody else concerned by the lack of infield position players on that list?

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Looks like Dayton's rotation is going to be fun to watch, all 5 in the top 20 if Lively starts there.
    From what Lively tweeted the other day, I think it sounds like he will be in Bakersfield. Which is likely where he should start out anyway.

Ben Lively ‏@BenLively19 Mar 30
    It's gonna be tough being in California for the first time without a surfboard #fail

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Anybody else concerned by the lack of infield position players on that list?
    Not really.

The Reds have traded away a bunch of quality infield prospects over the past two or three years (and moved their top SS prospect to CF), so it makes sense that they are weak there. As long as they have surplus talent elsewhere, they can fill their infields needs via trade rather than promotion.

Seems to me the Reds talent base is very heavily weighted toward pitching. The Pensacola staff looks like it will be full of good prospects.

Reds still need an infusion of position player talent IMO. Even after drafting Ervin last year.

8. Likes:

Rojo (04-02-2014)

I agree, I know pitching depth can dissapear very quickly, but I would like to see some position players in the system other than OFs.

I mean, one of our best non-OF/P prospects is a catcher that is expected to be a career backup.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I mean, one of our best non-OF/P prospects is a catcher that is expected to be a career backup.
    I think a lot of folks are underselling Barnhart. I see no reason to write him off as a backup. He looks like a young Ryan Hanigan to me. He'll probably reach the majors this season, at an age where Hanigan was still in single-A ball. They are both defense-first catchers with great plate discipline, which allows them to be offensive contributors despite their lack of power.

11. Likes:

mace (04-01-2014)

I like Barnhardt, but batting him vs LHP is foolish until he improves.

When do we find out where everyone is officially starting the year?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    When do we find out where everyone is officially starting the year?
    I too have been checking the rosters several times a day. My hunch is that the Louisville roster is awaiting placement of Negron, Jumbo and Beato. Those moves must be made before they can flow down final rosters of the lower levels. I suspect the Reds know where the top prospects will start, but the news is being held hostage to finalizing the complete rosters.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I like Barnhardt, but batting him vs LHP is foolish until he improves.
    That is what the minor leagues are for. No one is talking about batting him vs LHP in the majors (or RHP for that matter) until he has some more seasoning. While I think it is likely he will make it to the majors this season, he won't see any significant playing time unless there is a catastrophic injury at catcher or Mesoraco turns out to be a complete bust. He'll likely spend 90% of his season in the upper minors in 2013, and will probably spend a good bit of time there in 2014 as well.

Even if Tucker never learns how to hit LHP, that would still make him a serviceable platoon guy versus RHP, which for all intents and purposes, would make him a starter.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 04-01-2014 at 12:24 PM.

I agree on all points.

An article from Jim Callis on the Reds system.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...nt_id=70478972

Right-hander Robert Stephenson was only the 17th pitcher selected (27th overall) in the loaded 2011 First-Year Player Draft, but his pure stuff is as good as any of them. He has one of the best fastball-curveball combos in the Minors, and after surging to Double-A last year, he could reach Cincinnati by midseason.

"Robert Stephenson is right there with all the big-name guys in terms of stuff," Reds farm director Jeff Graupe said. "His fastball and curveball are potential 70s [on the 20-80 scouting scale], but I don't think his changeup is talked about enough. His changeup is a weapon. It's every bit a 50 pitch."
    Also includes 3 questions with Winker, says that Romano stood out in camp, and lists Garrett as a breakout candidate.

Also from MLB.com comes a stroy from former scout Bernie Pleskoff on how the Reds prospects fit into the team's needs.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...nt_id=70479228

This series is designed to evaluate the role prospects play in each Major League organization, looking at the short- and long-term needs of each club and illustrating how prospects fit in both scenarios.

Here's my look at the Reds:
    In the short term, he focuses on Hamilton, Stephenson, and Holmberg.

For the long term, he talks about Yorman, Winker, Ervin, and others.

Turn Off Ads?