Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NFL Draft

Re: 2014 NFL Draft

I'd be very surprised if Jags traded back into first round. I think their GM is all about acquiring more picks. What I might like to see is a trade down to 10-12 and then they might use that extra pick on a QB
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'd be very surprised if Jags traded back into first round. I think their GM is all about acquiring more picks. What I might like to see is a trade down to 10-12 and then they might use that extra pick on a QB
    I mean I get that for them as they need a ton of talent but good grief how many players can a team pay with that draft pool, they have 11 draft picks already?! They wait until Denver is on the clock and Denver will probably swap out at a fair price, they don't move far. The reasoning behind the move for me is to get a QB and when get that extra year of grooming that you can get with the 5th year option in the 1st round, you gotta do it IMO. If the guy they like is there (Bridgewater or Carr) then it makes a world of sense.

Having said all that if you told me hey we are in no hurry to get the QB, we just want to make wise picks and if one makes sense at a spot (like a Tom Savage in round 2) then we'll do it, then I think that reasoning would make alot of sense to me. If I am them I would probably skip QB in the 1st because Mack and/or Watkins is too good to pass up there but I wouldn't fault them for going Bortles early I like him and frankly I don't like many of these QB's.

Here is my scenarios for them...

1st - Blake Bortles
    2nd - Kony Ealy

1st - Khalil Mack (or maybe Watkins)
    2nd - Tom Savage

I'd probably prefer the latter...but they really need to look at QB and Pass rush real hard, don't forget Andrew Luck is the man they have to beat....
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 05-07-2014 at 07:57 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

My last Mock Draft of the season (I think), it's probably V5.0

1. Houston Texans: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

2. St. Louis Rams (via WAS): Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo

4. Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

5. Oakland Raiders: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

6. Atlanta Falcons: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

8. Minnesota Vikings: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida

9. Buffalo Bills: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

10. Detroit Lions: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

11. Tennessee Titans: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

12. New York Giants: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

13. St. Louis Rams: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama

14. Chicago Bears: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

16. Dallas Cowboys: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville

17. Baltimore Ravens: Cyrus Kouandjio OT Alabama

18. New York Jets: Odell Beckham, Jr., WR, LSU

19. Miami Dolphins: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame

20. Arizona Cardinals: Anthony Barr, OLB/DE, UCLA

21. Green Bay Packers: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

22. Philadelphia Eagles: Deone Buchanon S, Washington St.

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State

24. Cincinnati Bengals: Ryan Shazier OLB, Ohio State

25. San Diego Chargers: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

26. Cleveland Browns (via IND): Marquise Lee, WR USC

27. New Orleans Saints: Dee Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn

28. Carolina Panthers: Jordan Matthews WR, Vanderbilt

29. New England Patriots: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU

30. San Francisco 49ers: Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame

31. Denver Broncos: Joel Bitonio OL, Nevada

32. Seattle Seahawks: Morgan Moses OT, Va.

I think there could be some trades early (top 7 picks) and mid to late (17 to end of rd.) but I am just gonna go with this. I feel pretty good about the guys that will be going in the 1st and relative order (by tiers). But I would keep an eye on these teams to potentially move St. Louis (down from 2), Buffalo (up from 9), Tennessee (up from 11), Dallas (way up from 16), Baltimore (down from 17), Eagles (up from 22), Chiefs (down from 23), Bengals (down from 23), Saints (down from 27) Pats (any direction), 49ers (any direction), Jaguars (up from round 2).....the bold ones I just think are quite likely. Those Jags moving up to get David Carr seems likely maybe with Denver....

Notable guys who fall out of the 1st round IMO:

QB Derek Carr
    QB Teddy Bridgewater
    WR Kelvin Benjamin
    WR Cody Latimer
    OG Xavier Sua-Filo
    DE Kony Ealy
    DT Timmy Jernigan
    NT Louis Nix
    DT RaShede Hageman
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    My last Mock Draft of the season (I think), it's probably V5.0

1. Houston Texans: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

2. St. Louis Rams (via WAS): Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo

4. Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

5. Oakland Raiders: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

6. Atlanta Falcons: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

8. Minnesota Vikings: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida

9. Buffalo Bills: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

10. Detroit Lions: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

11. Tennessee Titans: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

12. New York Giants: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

13. St. Louis Rams: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama

14. Chicago Bears: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

16. Dallas Cowboys: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville

17. Baltimore Ravens: Cyrus Kouandjio OT Alabama

18. New York Jets: Odell Beckham, Jr., WR, LSU

19. Miami Dolphins: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame

20. Arizona Cardinals: Anthony Barr, OLB/DE, UCLA

21. Green Bay Packers: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

22. Philadelphia Eagles: Deone Buchanon S, Washington St.

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State

24. Cincinnati Bengals: Ryan Shazier OLB, Ohio State

25. San Diego Chargers: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

26. Cleveland Browns (via IND): Marquise Lee, WR USC

27. New Orleans Saints: Dee Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn

28. Carolina Panthers: Jordan Matthews WR, Vanderbilt

29. New England Patriots: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU

30. San Francisco 49ers: Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame

31. Denver Broncos: Joel Bitonio OL, Nevada

32. Seattle Seahawks: Morgan Moses OT, Va.

I think there could be some trades early (top 7 picks) and mid to late (17 to end of rd.) but I am just gonna go with this. I feel pretty good about the guys that will be going in the 1st and relative order (by tiers). But I would keep an eye on these teams to potentially move St. Louis (down from 2), Buffalo (up from 9), Tennessee (up from 11), Dallas (way up from 16), Baltimore (down from 17), Eagles (up from 22), Chiefs (down from 23), Bengals (down from 23), Saints (down from 27) Pats (any direction), 49ers (any direction), Jaguars (up from round 2).....the bold ones I just think are quite likely. Those Jags moving up to get David Carr seems likely maybe with Denver....

Notable guys who fall out of the 1st round IMO:

QB Derek Carr
    QB Teddy Bridgewater
    WR Kelvin Benjamin
    WR Cody Latimer
    OG Xavier Sua-Filo
    DE Kony Ealy
    DT Timmy Jernigan
    NT Louis Nix
    DT RaShede Hageman
    This is the best one I've seen, by far, anywhere. I'd put Latimer @ #30 to the 49er's, though, but everything else looks really good. All of this would be assuming that there isn't a trade, but even with the trades, it's pretty darn close. I think it should play out pretty close to this. I think the Bengals will think hard about taking Verrett over Shazier, but in the end, they probably go with Shazier.

You also make a lot of sense about making a trade up to the bottom of the first round for some team looking to get a QB and having that 5th year option available. If the Bengals or the 49er's had a 5th year available on Dalton or Kaepernick right now, they'd both be less concerned about the QB spot and it's financial ramifications.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I really like the Jags's owner, and am pulling for them because of him. It's taking a few trial-and-error moments, but in the end, I believe he will find success for the franchise.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Geez, the more I think it about it the Rams and Manziel are really gonna determine the direction of this thing....
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 05-07-2014 at 08:02 PM.

--Woody Hayes

Geez, the more I think it about it the Rams and Manziel are really gonna determine the direction of this thing....
    If the Rams are still sitting at #2, there's no way that they are taking a WR, which means that someone else is going to be taking Watkins at #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If the Rams are still sitting at #2, there's no way that they are taking a WR, which means that someone else is going to be taking Watkins at #2.
    I don't know about that, I tend to think it's long overdue that Bradford is given a legit outside WR. Now of course the Rams did just sign Kenny Brit who could be that guy but Watkins is arguably the best playr in the draft so it's not a reach at all. But I kinda wonder if Oakland wouldn't go up there after him, they really need a #1 go to guy also.

--Woody Hayes

I don't know about that, I tend to think it's long overdue that Bradford is given a legit outside WR. Now of course the Rams did just sign Kenny Brit who could be that guy but Watkins is arguably the best playr in the draft so it's not a reach at all. But I kinda wonder if Oakland wouldn't go up there after him, they really need a #1 go to guy also.
    We don't have the pieces. We need to move down if we can. We have to find some studs. I still expect the big mover to be sf. They CAN'T possibly sit there with 11 picks without doing something big. It wouldn't surprise me if they move into the 10-15 window if Evans or they "love" a db and make absolute certain they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I really like the Jags's owner, and am pulling for them because of him. It's taking a few trial-and-error moments, but in the end, I believe he will find success for the franchise.
    If you watch any interviews with the GM Dave Caldwell, I think you'll find you like him also. Just a "for instance": today just to blow off steam he and his scouts went next door to the Jax Suns ballpark and took batting practice.

They did take Tavon Austin last year, so there's that. Tavon is more of a slot receiver though so he and Watkins could coexist. I'd use the pick on protection for Bradford though.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

GM David Caldwell, said only he and Gus Bradley knew the scenarios for the 3rd pick. They were having dinner with Shad Khan Wed night and they were telling Shad their plans.

I think the RAMS trade with somebody....anybody.

I don't think they will take a WR with their first three picks mainly because they are heavily invested in WR's right now who are still very young....

Beat writer Jim Thomas acknowledges "it’s believed there are some in the building who would like to take Watkins," but GM Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher have all but shot down the notion. The Rams invested first- (Tavon Austin) and third-round (Stedman Bailey) picks in wide receivers last April, in addition to 2012's No. 33 overall selection (Brian Quick). They also signed Kenny Britt and return 2013 leading receivers Chris Givens and Austin Pettis. Thomas expects St. Louis to either trade down or use the No. 2 pick on an offensive tackle.

The entire career of Steven Jackson was spent running behind a below average to horrible Offensive Line. Before Bradford got there it was terrible. Since he's been there it's been terrible. Last year was the first time it resembled a decent Offensive Line, and it was actually good compared to the rest of the league [overall, I believe most Offensive Lines right now are not very good...thankfully, teams don't try to run the ball very much (60% of all Offensive plays are pass-plays), while rules make it difficult to lay harm to a Quarterback].

Pre-Jeff-Fisher should have nothing to do with post-Jeff-Fisher. Fisher likes to run the ball, so I can't see him adding more Wide Receivers when the most impact could come from a 10-year Pro Bowler OT in the form of Robinson.

Bradford's reluctance to accept coaching in the past is coming to the end with the arrival of their new Quarterback's Coach, to where Jeff Fisher has basically said that Bradford either accepts the Coaching and makes the mechanical changes in his throwing motion, or he's not going to be Quarterbacking for the RAMS. The RAMS have strong RB's ready to make Sam Bradford's life easier and an Offensive Line on the verge of being one of the best in the league. Robinson would put them over the top. Trading down a few picks and grabbing one of the other Top-5 Offensive Tackles will also make their Line a Top-5 O-Line. In the toughest Division in the NFL, where running the ball is a premium, it makes sense for the RAMS to take an OT with their first pick, whether that's Robinson at #2, Matthews at #6, or Lewan at #9 (all possibilities via trade). They then take the Secondary player of their choice at #13, either the first CB off the board, or a Safety (Dix/Pryor). In the NFC West, where the RAMS have a very good Defense already, it doesn't stack up with the Seahawks and the 49er's. Adding a premier Secondary player is still more important than adding a "Beckham" with the #13 pick.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-08-2014 at 01:37 AM.

GM David Caldwell, said only he and Gus Bradley knew the scenarios for the 3rd pick. They were having dinner with Shad Khan Wed night and they were telling Shad their plans.
    I don't think that the owner is ready to veto David Caldwell. While Caldwell has not gotten the results the owner was hoping for right away, it's Khan's willingness to defer to the experts like a true owner should that I like about the guy, so I don't think the team will take a QB with the #3 pick, as some have mentioned (reported out of New York on Wednesday). That leaves Cleveland the "opportunity" to be the first to take a QB. Caldwell has made it known that he's not taking a QB with the #3 pick.

Another interesting part of this draft that doesn't get talked about is Blake Bortles, my choice as the best QB in this draft.

Should Mike Zimmer pass on Bortles (to take Aaron Donald to be his stud DT on Defense), it could be with the sole possibility of taking Tom Savage in the 2nd. That makes Bortles a target of teams like Arizona. Where teams decide they need to trade up in order to get Bortles (ahead of #11 Tennessee?) will be a big wild-card in this draft.

Turn Off Ads?