Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NFL Draft

Re: 2014 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I don't think that the owner is ready to veto David Caldwell. While Caldwell has not gotten the results the owner was hoping for right away, it's Khan's willingness to defer to the experts like a true owner should that I like about the guy, so I don't think the team will take a QB with the #3 pick, as some have mentioned (reported out of New York on Wednesday). That leaves Cleveland the "opportunity" to be the first to take a QB. Caldwell has made it known that he's not taking a QB with the #3 pick.
    Let me say that I don't think anyone is unhappy with Caldwell in any way. He took over a 2 win team, gutted it and it became a 4 win team. He had what is considered to be a very good 1st draft. And hopefully at least a good draft and at least 6 wins this year.

Dave has NOT said they are not taking at QB at 3. But he has said things that lead people to surmise they won't. Barring a trade back (which I am hoping for) I expect to have Sammy Watkins or Khalil Mack holding up a Jags jersey tonight.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    My last Mock Draft of the season (I think), it's probably V5.0

1. Houston Texans: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

2. St. Louis Rams (via WAS): Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo

4. Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

5. Oakland Raiders: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

6. Atlanta Falcons: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

8. Minnesota Vikings: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida

9. Buffalo Bills: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

10. Detroit Lions: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

11. Tennessee Titans: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

12. New York Giants: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

13. St. Louis Rams: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama

14. Chicago Bears: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

16. Dallas Cowboys: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville

17. Baltimore Ravens: Cyrus Kouandjio OT Alabama

18. New York Jets: Odell Beckham, Jr., WR, LSU

19. Miami Dolphins: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame

20. Arizona Cardinals: Anthony Barr, OLB/DE, UCLA

21. Green Bay Packers: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

22. Philadelphia Eagles: Deone Buchanon S, Washington St.

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State

24. Cincinnati Bengals: Ryan Shazier OLB, Ohio State

25. San Diego Chargers: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

26. Cleveland Browns (via IND): Marquise Lee, WR USC

27. New Orleans Saints: Dee Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn

28. Carolina Panthers: Jordan Matthews WR, Vanderbilt

29. New England Patriots: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU

30. San Francisco 49ers: Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame

31. Denver Broncos: Joel Bitonio OL, Nevada

32. Seattle Seahawks: Morgan Moses OT, Va.

I think there could be some trades early (top 7 picks) and mid to late (17 to end of rd.) but I am just gonna go with this. I feel pretty good about the guys that will be going in the 1st and relative order (by tiers). But I would keep an eye on these teams to potentially move St. Louis (down from 2), Buffalo (up from 9), Tennessee (up from 11), Dallas (way up from 16), Baltimore (down from 17), Eagles (up from 22), Chiefs (down from 23), Bengals (down from 23), Saints (down from 27) Pats (any direction), 49ers (any direction), Jaguars (up from round 2).....the bold ones I just think are quite likely. Those Jags moving up to get David Carr seems likely maybe with Denver....

Notable guys who fall out of the 1st round IMO:

QB Derek Carr
    QB Teddy Bridgewater
    WR Kelvin Benjamin
    WR Cody Latimer
    OG Xavier Sua-Filo
    DE Kony Ealy
    DT Timmy Jernigan
    NT Louis Nix
    DT RaShede Hageman
    The Buccaneers drafting Aaron Donald makes absolutely no sense. He's a prototypical 3-technique / under-tackle defender in a traditional Tampa-2 scheme, but the Bucs already have the best 3-technique DT (and possibly the best overall DT) in the game in Gerald McCoy. If they drafted Donald, either he or McCoy would have to move from UT to NT where their overall value is minimized.

It'd be drafting for depth when there is already enormous need at QB, WR and OG. I'll be shocked and upset if it happens.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

my bengals wishlist for tonight:

1) Dennard DB MSU
    2) Martin OT ND
    3) Mason RB AU
    4) Nix NT ND
    5) Ely DE MU

I would love to see the Bengals trade down a few picks if a trade comes their way and they can still get any of these 5 above.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

I just wanted to throw this out here and see if anyone spots any major misses in terms of guys not being drafted. Houston trades up to take Savage for the 5th year option, they give up some late round picks at little cost. I've got 5 trades trying not to over do it but there was something like 9 trades last year.

Houston DE Jadevon Clowney
    St. Louis OT Greg Robison
    Jacksonville WR Sammy Watkins
    Cleveland WR Mike Evans
    Oakland (trade Buffalo) OT Jake Matthews
    Atlanta OT Taylor Lewan
    Tampa OLB Khalil Mack
    Minnesota QB Blake Bortles
    Buffalo "(trade Oakland, trade Giants)" DT Aaron Donald
    Detroit CB Justin Gilbert
    Tennessee (trade San Fran) WR Odell Beckham
    NY Giants (trade Oakland) QB Teddy Bridgewater
    St. Louis SA Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
    Chicago LB CJ Mosley
    Pittsburgh CB Darqueze Denard
    Dallas QB Johnny Manziel
    Baltimore TE Eric Ebron
    NY Jets WR Marquis Lee
    Miami OT Ja'Wuan James
    Arizona (trade Cleveland) QB David Carr
    Green Bay WR Brandin Cooks
    Philadelphia CB Kyle Fuller
    Kansas City (trade Denver) DT Ra'Shede Hageman
    Cincinnati SA Calvin Pryor
    San Diego OT Morgan Moses
    Cleveland (trade Arizona) OLB Anthony Barr
    New Orleans DE Dee Ford
    Carolina WR Cody Latimore
    New England (trade Houston) QB Tom Savage
    San Francisco (trade Ten) OT Zach Martin
    Denver (trade KC) OG Xavier Su'a-Filo
    Seattle CB Jason Verrett

Sort of a dream draft for this Raider fan, trade down and get a bunch of extra picks in one of the deeper drafts we have seen would be HUGE help for this rebuilding franchise. Getting Bridgewater at 15 rather than 5 takes some pressure off and we can add weapons like Jace Amaro in Rd 2 and on.
    Last edited by Slyder; 05-08-2014 at 10:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

5 QB's in first? That's a bunch.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Let me say that I don't think anyone is unhappy with Caldwell in any way. He took over a 2 win team, gutted it and it became a 4 win team. He had what is considered to be a very good 1st draft. And hopefully at least a good draft and at least 6 wins this year.

Dave has NOT said they are not taking at QB at 3. But he has said things that lead people to surmise they won't. Barring a trade back (which I am hoping for) I expect to have Sammy Watkins or Khalil Mack holding up a Jags jersey tonight.
    I agree with the consensus that it will be Mack. I finally did a Mock Draft last night and I'll post it when I get in front of a computer in a couple of hours.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The Buccaneers drafting Aaron Donald makes absolutely no sense. He's a prototypical 3-technique / under-tackle defender in a traditional Tampa-2 scheme, but the Bucs already have the best 3-technique DT (and possibly the best overall DT) in the game in Gerald McCoy. If they drafted Donald, either he or McCoy would have to move from UT to NT where their overall value is minimized.

It'd be drafting for depth when there is already enormous need at QB, WR and OG. I'll be shocked and upset if it happens.
    I think Lovie Smith wants Donald and that Tampa takes him.

Of course, all of this is predicated because I think Oakland moves up to #2 to take Watkins forcing Cleveland to take Manziel, otherwise Cleveland takes Watkins leaving Manziel to Tampa, which drops Donald further down and Evans to Oakland.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-08-2014 at 10:54 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Snyder, I like the idea of Houston trading up for Savage. I think somebody pulls off a trade with NE to grab a QB.

The only reason Savage makes it is because Houston "wants" that option at an extra year. For some reason a ton of NFL have fallen in love with this guy, I'm not but hey I'm not the one being paid 5-6 figures to scout these guys. With that "5th year option" it buys Houston an extra year to "develop him". They have a year to see if Fitzpatrick can work some magic before they would "have" to play Savage. They could certainly do worse than Fitzpatrick for this year.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

With the Arizona/Cleveland trade there's some rumors that the Bengals, Cards, and KC might be looking at a qb if the "right one" is on the board so Cleveland slides up a few spots to make sure they get "their" guy and man to get their new weapon (Evans) the ball early and often.

William Arthur Ward

For the NY Football Giants I think it comes down to one of these 5 players (in no particular order):

1. Taylor Lewan. The one pick I would hate - being a ND fan you would think that is the reason but not even close. Well dressed Amani Toomer is still one of my favorite Giants ever as is Jumbo Elliott, both Michigan Men. No, the reason I hate Lewan is the rape allegation against his best friend and his alleged role in that and the way he handles himself on field. He is a walking personal foul and a cheap shot artist. Plus I was never impressed with him when he played against top competition. Thought he looked average against ND, Michigan State and last year when Clowney pancaked him.
    2. Zack Martin. Love the kid. Worried that while he will end up being a solid player he won't be star. Picking at 12, the highest we have drafted in awhile that solid is just too low. But Martin is just so damn solid.
    3. Aaron Donald. Great player and love him. But he doesn't fit Giant prototype. Smaller than what Giants like. Would love for pick to be him though. Kid is lightening in a bottle.
    4. Odell Beckham. Not a big fan of LSU recievers. They always seem to be overvalued and at best end up being solid. Even D. Bowe, the best to come out of LSU in recent memory is just good, not great.
    5. CJ Mosely. Giants just signed Beason and playing a 4-3 we only have room for 1 MLB. That means if we draft him he slides outside to WiLB. Not sure that is best play but this kid can play. Student of game and loves film study. Injury history scares me a little but good player.

There you have it - unless Mike Evans falls to 12 those are 5 I expect Giants to choose from. Lewan and Donald might go top 10 but if they are available I expect Giants to discuss them. My choice is Donald if he is there and Martin if not. If none of Martin, Donald, Lewan are available then I pick Mosely.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Do the QB's hold the key to this draft?

Plenty of teams need a QB who pick early in the draft. Houston, Cleveland, Minnesota, Jacksonville, and even St Louis and Oakland need one sooner rather than later. It appears if none of those teams want to use their top pick on a QB, so when the domino's start to fall they may fall fast. I think things could get interesting around pick #26, the Browns 2nd 1st rounder. Will there be teams trading up to get ahead of the Browns in order to take the QB they like? What happens if two QB's go in the top 10, will there be a run on them in the teens? I think you have 4 guys (Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, and Carr) who could go in the first, will they?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I saw this idea on another board and was intrigued. Would anyone be upset if the Bengals traded their 2014 first rounder for a 2015 first rounder and, say a 2nd, or 3rd & 4th in this year's draft?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I think Lovie Smith wants Donald and that Tampa takes him.

Of course, all of this is predicated because I think Oakland moves up to #2 to take Watkins forcing Cleveland to take Manziel, otherwise Cleveland takes Watkins leaving Manziel to Tampa, which drops Donald further down and Evans to Oakland.
    I'm sure Lovie Smith loves Donald, the way most defensive coaches love good defensive players -- but he'd literally be a depth pick. The only way he sees the field at his primary position (3 technique DT) is if Gerald McCoy gets injured. You don't draft a guy Top-10 if your only plan is to immediately change his position from what he did well to get him drafted in the first place.

It'd be a tremendously silly pick for Tampa, given their roster makeup and needs elsewhere -- especially with Mike Evans sitting on the board and Tampa, right now, projected to start Louis Murphy as their WR2 next to Vincent Jackson.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

5.5 hours away!

I am really excited, hopefully Berman doesn't ruin it.

17. Likes:

Slyder (05-08-2014)

Turn Off Ads?