Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor-League Player of the Day (2014)

Minor-League Player of the Day (2014)

If people are sufficiently interested, I wouldn't mind doing the Minor-League Player of the Day again this year. But if so, I'd like to enlist some regular help to ease the grind. I'm thinking in terms of maybe two to five folks taking a particular day of the week on a steady basis. Sunday morning, especially, is one that's tough for me. But any ol' day will do.

I'd like, if possible, to retain a consistent form. To that end, I've pasted a template day from last August.

So, what do you think . . . texasdave? lollipop? M2? RedlegJake? Van Hot? mth? OGB? OnBase? Anybody?

Here's the rough template:

Saturday, August 24: Ismael Guillon, Dayton . . . 6 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K. After a wild and wretched first half of the season, the 21-year-old lefty is finally on a roll. Over his last six starts, he has permitted just 6 ER in 33.2 IP (1.60 ERA). His OPS-against for August is .583.

Also notable . . .

Ryan LaMarre: 3-3, 3B, SB (22). Has hit in eight straight games. Seems like a different player lately.

Mike Costanzo: 2-3, 2B, BB, R, RBI.

Daniel Renken: 6 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K.

Chris Manno: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K.

Trevor Bell: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, Sv (17). ERA 1.50.

Sharky Rogers: 7 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K.

Billy Hamilton: 2-5, 2B, R, RBI. Delivered a walkoff single in the ninth.

Neftali Soto: HR #14, 2 RBI.

Henry Rodriguez: 2-4, 2B.

Kris Negron: 2-4, SB (10).

Emmanuel Burris: 1-2, BB, R.

Feliz Perez: 1-3, 2B, BB, R.

Daniel Pigott (Dayton): 2-4, 2 2B, R, 4 RBI.

Seth Mejias-Brean: 2-3, BB, 2 R. Up to .306.

Beau Amaral: 3B, R.

Ben Lively (Billings): 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K. It's getting a little ridiculous, as the 0.73 ERA would attest.

Avain Rachal: 3-4, HR #4, 3 RBI. The 19-year-old second baseman might start popping up in the prospect ratings (within the organization, that is).

Adam Matthews: 2-3, 3B, BB, R.

Daniel Wright: 3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K.

Joe Mantoni: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, Sv (5). At 22, this year's 18th-rounder has flashed an 0.57 ERA in his 15.2 IP.

Joey Housey (Bakersfield): 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K. The former Oregon star is on his third club this year.

Junior Arias: 2-4, 2B, R.

Steve Selsky: 2-4, 2 RBI.

John De Leon (DSL Rojos): 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K. He's 6-foot-4 and 19.

Anthony Rubicondo: 2-4, 2 RBI. The young second baseman has been making a little noise.
    Last edited by mace; 04-01-2014 at 02:09 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Minor-League Player of the Day (2014)

On board for keeping this good thing going. Just assign me a day, mace. Sundays are fine.

4. Likes:

mace (04-01-2014)

I will take a day. But it has to be a weekday. I work 12-hour shifts on the weekend. Just sign me up for whichever day. Player of the Day is a great thread.

6. Likes:

mace (04-01-2014)

Outstanding, fellas. Lollipop, Sunday is yours. (By that, I mean Sunday's post for the games of Saturday). That should start this week, since games begin on Thursday night.

Tex, how about Wednesday (games of Tuesday night)? That means you're off until next week.

Thank you thank you.

The floor is still open.

Fine by me.

I'm on for some Sunday minor league ministering.

I love this stuff Mace, but I've been super busy the last month or so. The wife has a serious illness and takes almost 100% of my free time to care for her. I sneak posting in when she's sleeping and I'm not worn out myself, but can't really commit to anything on a such a regular schedule. Otherwise, I'd take a couple of days. Love this stuff and looking forward to it. Sorry I can't be more help.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Thanks for the response, mth. I'm sure your wife appreciates your devotion, and I applaud you for it.

I love reading this thread.. Would love to see in 2014, even if a few days get skipped due to lack of time for people to do their day.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

13. Likes:

mace (04-02-2014)

I can't commit yet, but I'd be willing to do a day, I think. Will know by the end of the weekend.

That'd be awesome, Felix. We can revisit when you're ready. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I love this stuff Mace, but I've been super busy the last month or so. The wife has a serious illness and takes almost 100% of my free time to care for her. I sneak posting in when she's sleeping and I'm not worn out myself, but can't really commit to anything on a such a regular schedule. Otherwise, I'd take a couple of days. Love this stuff and looking forward to it. Sorry I can't be more help.
    I hope for her speedy recovery. Best wishes.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-03-2014 at 12:49 AM.

17. Likes:

HokieRed (04-05-2014),RedlegJake (04-03-2014),SirFelixCat (04-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    My thoughts are with you both, mth - I've had to let Redszone slide a bit in the past myself so I completely understand. Family is always first!!
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I'd be happy to help out. This thread was my favorite of 2013. Thursday is my day off, so I can take it.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Well, then, Thursdays for you, OGB (games of Wednesday night). Outstanding, and thanks!

Turn Off Ads?