Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor-League Player of the Day (2014)

Re: Minor-League Player of the Day (2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Whoever has the POTD for Wednesday.... good luck.
    OGB has it today . . . and I have to say, I'm enjoying that the dilemma's not mine.

It seems like just about every time there's a thankless call like this, Winker's involved.
    Last edited by mace; 06-12-2014 at 09:45 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It's a complete joke at this point Winker is not in AA. I hope it does not negatively effect his development. This is ridiculous.
    Spending half of a season in a league, no matter how dominant one is, isn't going to negatively effect someones development.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Spending half of a season in a league, no matter how dominant one is, isn't going to negatively effect someones development.
    Doug, do you think Winker will be called up after the All-Star Break? I think most of us would be most concerned if he had to play the second half in Bakersfield as well which would not allow him to get the AA PAs to prove he could be ready on Opening Day 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Doug, do you think Winker will be called up after the All-Star Break? I think most of us would be most concerned if he had to play the second half in Bakersfield as well which would not allow him to get the AA PAs to prove he could be ready on Opening Day 2015.
    Yes, I think Winker gets called up before July rolls around.

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-12-2014),Old school 1983 (06-12-2014)

I think wasting your time in A+ can impede one's development. The more PA's in AA the better. He is 100% wasting his time right now. If he is not being called up because of a non-prospect in AA, it is a joke. The outfielders other than Y-Rod are Duran, Fellhauer, and Bryson Smith. You could cut any one of those three players right this second and it would have no effect whatsoever on the Reds. Zero. Zilch. Baseball/Life is not fair, sorry Bryson, enjoy working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 06-12-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think wasting your time in A+ can impede one's development. The more PA's in AA the better. He is 100% wasting his time right now. If he is not being called up because of a non-prospect in AA, it is a joke. The outfielders other than Y-Rod are Duran, Fellhauer, and Bryson Smith. You could cut any one of those three players right this second and it would have no effect whatsoever on the Reds. Zero. Zilch. Baseball/Life is not fair, sorry Bryson, enjoy working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car.
    I'm very glad you aren't running the system.

Stats are generally not a reason to assume a player is ready to move up. Players are not moved up because of their OPS. The level of competition does not increase evenly in every area from level to level. If it did, every player would perform at a relative level compared to what he did in the previous league. There would be no 4A players. A hitter is moved up because the organization sees he has progressed in the specific areas that he will need at the next level. You could go 4 for 4 against a certain Single-A pitcher that will never cut it in Double-A, absolutely own the guy, but the next night when you see a guy with the command more typical of what you might see at the next level, you go 0 for 4 with 2 Ks because you can't lay off the slider. That is 4 for 8, .500. Pretty good. Useless in terms of being ready to move up.

The other issue, probably not as much of an issue with Winker as someone else that might be performing well in Bakersfield, is that the organization is generally not going to make a move if they think it is going to weaken Pensacola, unless it is a top priority prospect. A guy might be hitting .310 in Bakersfield, and you have a guy hitting .260 in Pensacola, and the guy in Pensacola is just an organizational guy but the organization is convinced he is currently a better player than the guy in Bakersfield, that move is not getting made unless it is a top 10 prospect. They are not going to call Delino and tell him we are going to weaken your club because we have a guy in Bakersfield who has some good stats unless it is a priority guy. They are not going to move Ryan Wright up and sit Rey Navarro unless they are convinced it is going to help the Pensacola club.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-12-2014),lollipopcurve (06-13-2014),Old school 1983 (06-12-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (06-13-2014)

Winker is a top prospect though. He is better than any OF on Pensacola.

Listen, I love Winker. I am the biggest Winker booster there is. But the stats don't tell you if he is ready to move up. The games do.

They will move Winker up when they are convinced he is ready. It has nothing to do with Fellhauer or Bryson Smith.

The pitcher who threw against Bakersfield last night has an 8.55 ERA. Yes, he had a monster game. That's my point. Billy Doran and others are evaluating this thing daily.
    Last edited by redsof72; 06-12-2014 at 03:29 PM.

13. Likes:

Kc61 (06-14-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (06-13-2014)

Minor League Player of the Day for Wednesday June 11th

Jesse Winker
    (Redszone prospect #4) told the Modesto Nuts to sit on it last night. In what may have been the finest night of Winker's blossoming career, his stat line read like this: 3-3, 4R, 2HR, 6RBI, 2BB. That on its own was enough to just edge the next two contenders for the top spot, but Winker also added his 5th stolen base and gunned down a runner at second base. I'll say "Wow" and leave it at that. I think we're all anxious to see him in a Wahoos uniform.

Honorable Mention
    Marquez Smith: 3-5, 2R, 2HR, 6RBI The 29 year old had a grand slam in the Blaze's 19 run effort.

Amir Garrett: (RZ #21) Complete game 7IP, 3H, 0R, 0BB, 5K Garrett is a 6'5", 22 year old lefty. In 5 of his last 7 starts, his numbers read like this: 29IP, 18H, 4ER, 7BB, 22K

Around the Farm

Louisville
    Felix Perez: 2-3, R, 2B, RBI, BB, OF assist

Pensacola
    Josh Fellhauer: 2-5, 2B, RBI

Rossmell Perez: 2-4, HR

Juan Duran: 3-4, R

Fabian Williamson: 2IP, H, 0R, 3K

Bakersfield
    Juan Silva: (RZ #36) 3-3, 5R, 3B, 2BB

Zach Vincej: 2-5, RBI, 3R Pronounced "Vin-cee," Superfuous J makes my list for the first time in 2014

Juan Perez: 2-5, 2R, HR It was a good day for the Juans

Dayton (played a double header, games listed individually)
    Phil Ervin: 2-3, 2B, R

Tanner Rahier: (RZ #34) 2-3, R

Jon Matthews: 2-3

Tanner Rahier: 2-3, RBI

Carlton Daal: (RZ #56) 2-2, SB(9)

Franderlyn Romero: 5IP, 5H, 3R, 2ER, 0BB, 3K

DSL Rojos
    Francisco Guerrero: 2-4 A 6'3", 19 year old catcher

Ernesto Liberatore: 2-3, BB A 6'0", 18 year old first baseman from Venezuela.

DSL Reds
    Gabrielle Oval: 3-4, 2B, R A 6'2", 19 year old, switch hitting short stop from the DR

Raul Wallace: 3-4, RBI An 18 year old center fielder from the DR

Franklin Montilla: 5IP, 4H, 1ER, 2BB, 5K A 6'4", almost 20 year old right hander from Venezuela

Redszone Top Ten
    3. Phil Ervin: (Game #2) 1-3, R
    5. Yorman Rodriguez: 1-5, K
    7: David Holmberg: 4IP, 8H, 3R, 2ER, 4BB, 1K
    9. Seth Mejias-Brean: 1-5
    Last edited by OGB; 06-12-2014 at 09:45 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

15. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (06-14-2014),Edd Roush (06-12-2014),lollipopcurve (06-13-2014),mace (06-12-2014),PepperJack (06-12-2014),SirFelixCat (06-18-2014),Tom Servo (06-12-2014)

I was tempted to go with Garrett, especially since he has yet to win the award. Winker's stat line from top to bottom was just too much to ignore.
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I was tempted to go with Garrett, especially since he has yet to win the award. Winker's stat line from top to bottom was just too much to ignore.
    Well, you couldn't go wrong. And yeah, the SB and assist kind of put it over the top. It's not fair, but if Garrett had struck out another 3 or 4 . . . (That said, more meaningful is that he didn't walk anybody and was very pitch-efficient. A terrifically impressive performance for a part-time pitcher.)

18. Likes:

SirFelixCat (06-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Well, you couldn't go wrong. And yeah, the SB and assist kind of put it over the top. It's not fair, but if Garrett had struck out another 3 or 4 . . . (That said, more meaningful is that he didn't walk anybody and was very pitch-efficient. A terrifically impressive performance for a part-time pitcher.)
    If he'd had 8-9 strikeouts, it would've been his for sure--6 or 7, coin flip.
    -RichRed

Thursday, June 12: Marquez Smith, Bakersfield . . . 3-4, HR (15), BB, 2 R, 3 RBI. That's 9 RBIs in 2 games--for a guy who already led the league in that department. Smith is a strange case. He's 29, too old and too good for Bakersfield. But he's there, leading the league in not only RBIs (67 in 66 games) but OPS (1.006). And he didn't make the all-star game. Can a guy get a little respect around here?

Also notable on a day in which the Blaze reached 20 games over .500 (44-24) and Dayton stayed alive, barely, for the Midwest League playoffs . . .

Pitchers

Luke Moran, Day: 4 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K. First appearance of the season. Don't know where he's been (though I presume the answer is extended spring training).

Ryan Kemp, Day: 3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 4 K.

Layne Somsen, Day: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, Sv (2).

Adolfi Telleria, Rojos: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 9 K. A 20-year-old righthander.

Josh Smith, Lou: 7 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 5 BB, 7 K.

Elvin Ramirez, Lou: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.

Mike Dennhardt, Bake: 7 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 2 K. Nice to see.

Jimmy Moran, Bake: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K. Could be the first time in MiLPOD history that two Morans have made the list (both pitchers).

Hitters

Juan Silva, Bake: 3-6, 2B, 2 R, 3 RBI, 2 SB (31). How about this guy? Now rocking a .410 OBP.

Kyle Waldrop, Bake: 1-2, 2 BB, R, RBI. Batting a Cobb-like .363.

John Tolisano, Bake: 2-4, BB, 2 R.

Jesse Winker, Bake: 1-3, 2 BB, R, RBI. No extra-base hits. I assume he batted right-handed.

Juan Perez, Bake: 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI, SB.

Rey Navarro, Pen: HR (9). Pretty strong for a 2B-SS.

Neftali Soto, Lou: 2-2. Left game for a pinch-runner.

Shelley Duncan, Lou: Game-turning 3-run, pinch-hit HR.

Big Lutz, Lou: HR (8). Second for Louisville.

Chris Nelson, Lou: 2-4, 2 R.

Derik Capitillo, Rojos: 2-4, BB, 2 R, RBI.

Carlton Daal, Day: 1-2, 2B, R.

Avain Rachal, Day: 1-2.

Jon Matthews, Day: 1-3, 2B, R. Batting .350 in 100 AB for Bakersfield and Dayton, with a .441 OBP and 14 SB. Bet you didn't know that.
    Last edited by mace; 06-13-2014 at 04:06 PM.

21. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (06-14-2014),Edd Roush (06-13-2014),lollipopcurve (06-13-2014),PepperJack (06-13-2014),SirFelixCat (06-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Minor League Player of the Day for Wednesday June 11th
    [B]

Juan Perez: 2-5, 2R, HR It was a good day for the Juans
    Because Juan is just not enough (it had to be said).

23. Likes:

mace (06-14-2014)

Turn Off Ads?