Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor-League Player of the Day (2014)

Re: Minor-League Player of the Day (2014)

Mace, how would you feel about selecting a minor league player of the week /month? Week should be easy, month might be a bit more work. Im just throwing it out there, and I think you deserve first dibs if you'd want to.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Mace, how would you feel about selecting a minor league player of the week /month? Week should be easy, month might be a bit more work. Im just throwing it out there, and I think you deserve first dibs if you'd want to.
    I think it's a nice idea. Last year, I didn't pick a Player of the Month or Week, but I did do a monthly recap, then noted the best single-game performances by a hitter and pitcher. (Example below).

A Player of the Week has value in that some guys get on a roll and never really separate themselves to be Player of the Day, although they challenge for it consistently. Lately, Ryan Wright is a guy who falls into that category. Kyle Waldrop's roll is also deserving of that kind of notice. It's also a way for a hot relief pitcher to get recognition--Lee Hyde last year, or Layne Somsen and Alejandro Chacin this year. I suppose the same could apply to a Player of the Month.

OGB, if you have an interest in doing this, I'd urge you to go ahead. I like the way different voices have energized the thread this year.

Meanwhile, here's an example of last year's monthly recap, which I'll be happy to reprise this year.

August-plus recap

( ) indicates how many times the player has been selected as the MiLPoD (if more than one).

8-1: Carlos Contreras (4) . . . 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K.
    8-2: Henry Rodriguez . . . 5-5, 3 R.
    8-3: Juan Silverio (3) . . . 5-5, 2 2B, HR, 2 R, 5 RBI.
    8-4: Greg Reynolds (5) . . . 7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
    8-5: Amir Garrett . . . 6 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K.
    8-6: Jake Johnson . . . 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K.
    8-7: Jon Moscot (4) . . . 7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K.
    8-8: Jeremy Kivel . . . 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K.
    8-9: Phillip Ervin (2) . . . 2-4, 2B, HR, 3 RBI.
    8-10: Robert Stephenson (6) . . . 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K.
    8-11: Nobody.
    8-12: Jose Ortiz (3) . . . 2-4, 2B, HR, 2 RBI.
    8-13: Aristides Aquino . . . 4-6, 2 3B, 3 R, 3 RBI.
    8-14: Kyle Waldrop (4) . . . 4-4, 2B, HR, 2 R.
    8-15: Nick Travieso (3) . . . 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K.
    8-16: Robert Stephenson (7) . . . 6 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K.
    8-17: Carlos Sanchez . . . 3-5, 2B, HR, 2 R, 3 RBI.
    8-18: Adam Matthews . . . 4-4, 2 2B, 3B, BB, 3 R, 3 RBI.
    8-19: Jon Moscot (5) . . . 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K. Also 1-2, 2B, R.
    8-20: Greg Reynolds (6) . . . 9 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K.
    8-21: Juan Silva . . . 3-3, 3B, BB, 2 R, 3 SB.
    8-22: Robert Stephenson (8) . . . 5 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 8 K.
    8-23: Yohan Pino (2) . . . 7 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K.
    8-24: Ismael Guillon . . . 6 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K.
    8-25: Tim Crabbe (5) . . . 7.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 4 K.
    8-26: Luke Moran . . . 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K.
    8-27: Tyler Mahle . . . 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K.
    8-28: Kevin Franklin . . . 3-4, 2B, BB, R, 2 RBI.
    8-29: James Allen (3) . . . 6 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 K.
    8-30: Ismael Guillon (2) . . . 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K.
    8-31: Mike Hessman (2) . . . 3-4, 2 HR (25), BB, 2 R. 5 RBI.
    9-1: Pedro Villarreal (2) . . . 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K.
    9-2: Juan Duran (2) . . . 3-3, 3 HR, BB, 3 R, 3 RBI.

Pitching Performance of the Month: Ismael Guillon, 8-24 . . . 6 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K. Over his final five starts of the season, the Venezuelan lefty permitted just 11 hits in 29.1 innings.

Hitting Performance of the Month: Juan Duran, 9-2 . . . 3-3, 3 HR, BB, 3 R, 3 RBI. The breakout came on the big fellow’s 22nd birthday, and it gave him 6 home runs in the last 5 games of the season.

This is a fantastic thread. A must-read every single day. Thanks for all the hard work guys.

5. Likes:

Ga_Red (04-24-2014), HokieRed (04-23-2014), OGB (04-24-2014), Old school 1983 (04-23-2014), PepperJack (04-23-2014), SirFelixCat (04-23-2014)

Although the amazing Ben Lively has rendered this thread academic every fifth day, texasdave will nevertheless post the update sometime this afternoon, when his babysitting detail is up. (Note to dave: Ben, not Blake; Ben, not Blake; Ben, not Blake . . .)
    Last edited by mace; 04-23-2014 at 11:49 AM.

7. Likes:

dougdirt (04-23-2014), Edd Roush (04-23-2014), SirFelixCat (04-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    This is a fantastic thread. A must-read every single day. Thanks for all the hard work guys.

Absolufreakinglutely!

Tuesday, April 22: Ben Lively, Bakersfield....turned in another stalwart effort to garner the nod. For the game, Lively spun six shutout innings. He allowed a hit and a walk while fanning 10. The walk was the first one he has issued in four start. His line for the year: 23.0IP 8H 1R 1ER 1BB 33K.

Curtis Partch (Louisville) made his first appearance as a Bat this year a successful one. He pitched two shutout innings, allowing two hits and a walk. He struck out three.
    Lee Hyde (Louisville) was also stellar out of the Bats' bullpen. He worked two hitless frames, walking a batter and striking one out.
    Brooks Pinckard (Bakersfield) faced just seven batters in his two innings on the bump. He allowed a lone single.
    Carlos Gonzalez (Bakersfield) was dealing. He struck out the side in the ninth for the Blaze.

Ruben Gotay (Louisville) went 2 for 4 at the dish. He singled, doubled and drove in a run. He is hitting a robust .338 for the season.
    Rey Navarro (Pensacola) went 2 out of 5 from the leadoff slot. He singled twice, scoring once and driving a runner home.
    Travis Mattair (Pensacola) whacked his first home run of the year. He was 2-4. He added a double a walk to his roundtripper. He drove two in and stepped on home twice.
    Bryan Anderson (Pensacola) singled twice and walked. He drove a pair of Wahoos home.
    Seth Mejias-Brean (Bakersfield) had a lone single in two official at-bats. He tacked on three bases on balls and stole a base.
    Kyle Waldrop (Bakersfield) reached base twice on a double and walk. He drove in a run and is batting .408 on the campaign.
    Zach Vincej (Bakersfield) singled twice in four trips and drove home a run.
    Beau Amaral (Dayton) was 2-4 in game one of a doubleheader. His single and double resulted in one run being scored and one run batted in.
    Daniel Mateo (Dayton) doubled in the first game. He came around to score.
    Carlton Daal (Dayton) went 2-3 in game two. He singled twice and came around to score both times.
    Sebastian Elizalde (Dayton) homered in the nightcap. He drew a base on balls as well. He scored once and drove home a pair.
    Tanner Rahier (Dayton) both singled and doubled in the second game. He plated two runners.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

With a career ERA of 0.70 (two seasons, 17 starts), Lively has now evened his record at 4-4.

I guess it's not quite as weird as it looks. He never went five innings last year, so he couldn't qualify for wins. And although he only gave up 4 earned runs in his 13 starts, he did give up 5 unearned runs. But still.

Here's a Lively stat that (among several) blows me away: In 17 games as a pro, never pitching less than 3 innings (64 in all), he has allowed only 31 hits. That's less than two hits a game! And as we know, he doesn't walk many.
    Last edited by mace; 04-24-2014 at 12:34 AM.

11. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-24-2014)

OGB is gonna have a tough call today between Guillon and Winker. But that's why he makes the big bucks.

OGB is gonna have a tough call today between Guillon and Winker. But that's why he makes the big bucks.
    Is there precedent for having co-winners?

Glad it's not my day....
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Is there precedent for having co-winners?

Glad it's not my day....
    Oh no. You gotta man-up.

Since OGB usually can't get to it until later in the day, anybody care to state a preference in the meantime? It's a pretty classic case of a dominating pitching day against a monster hitting day.

I would take seven innings of dominating shutout baseball every time. JMO. I wonder what a team's winning percentage would be if they got seven shutout innings from their starter each time out? More than likely, it would be higher than if a team had a hitter go 4-4 with a walk each game. Tough decision, but I am a pitching guy.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-24-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I would take seven innings of dominating shutout baseball every time. JMO. I wonder what a team's winning percentage would be if they got seven shutout innings from their starter each time out? More than likely, it would be higher than if a team had a hitter go 4-4 with a walk each game. Tough decision, but I am a pitching guy.
    What about 4-4 with a walk and 4 RBI though? 4-4 with a walk and four singles and no runs driven in is a lot different than 4-4 with a walk, two doubles, a homer and 4 RBI.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I'm with this. Plus, the zero walks is a great signpost for Guillon (especially with 11 K), whose control seems to be the only thing keeping him out of the upper reaches of prospectdom.

MLPotD for April 23rd
    Last night Bakersfield's Jesse Winker and Dayton's Ismael Guillon went toe to toe in the ring for the MLPotD belt. It came down to a decision, and the irreproachable, unimpeachable judge from Covington, KY cast the deciding vote in Guillon's favor. Let's be clear though, folks, this was Apollo Creed and Rocky Balboa far past exhaustion yet hugging it out--there were no losers here.
    Ismael Guillon (Redszone prospect #22) toed the rubber for the Dragons last night in South Bend and gave you everything you could reasonably ask for in a start from a top pitching prospect. Guillon went 7 strong, surrendering 2 hits, and no runs while fanning 11 SilverHawks. After a 2013 season plagued by control issues, Guillon issued a refreshing 0 free passes. With 186 strikeouts, Guillon has passed Daniel Corcino to become Dayton's career leader. Guillon leads the Midwest league with a .116 BAA. His ERA is a superlative 1.16

Around the Farm

Louisville
    Felix Perez: 1-3 2B, BB
    Chad "Sharky" Rogers: (Redszone #14) 2.1 IP, 0H, 0R, 3BB, 2K Sharky's ERA is 5.40

Pensacola
    Rey Navarro: 2-5, 2R, HR, 2RBI Hitting .279
    Yorman Rodriguez: (Redszone #5) 2-5 Hitting .315
    Donald Lutz: 2-5, R Hitting .353
    Travis Mattair: 2-4, R, 2B, HR, 3RBI The 1B/3B and Redszone #64 is hitting .238, but has homered in back to back games
    Michael Lorenzen: (Redszone #6) 5 IP, 4H, 2R, 1ER, 2BB, 5K Also 1-2, 2B, R, RBI

Bakersfield
    Ryan I Know That's Wright: 2-5, 2B, 2R, RBI
    Jesse Winker: 4-4, R, 2 2B, HR, 4RBI, BB Winker's monster day puts him at .338 in the early campaign
    Marquez Smith: 2-5, R, 2B
    Juan Perez: 1-2, R, RBI, 2BB The 23 year old lefty SS is hitting .234
    Yovan Gonzalez: 2-4, R
    Jon Matthews: 2-4, R, RBI
    Wandy Peralta: 6 IP, 6H, 0R, 3BB, 4K
    Jake Johnson: 2IP, 2H, 0R, 0BB, 2K

Dayton Dragons
    When you can't get a win for a guy that pitched like Guillon did Wednesday, the odds are good that nobody will deserve mention here

Standings
    Louisville: The 9-10 Bats are 4 games back of Pittsburgh affiliate Indianapolis, and are on a 3 game losing streak that has fans saying, "Guano!"
    Pensacola: The club with (possibly) the most talent is 8-12 and 5 games back in fourth place.
    Bakersfield: at 14-6, the Blaze are a game behind the Visalia Rawhide (Arizona)
    Dayton: The Great Lakes Loons (like pantaloons?) lead the intrepid Daytonians by 1.5. The Dragons are third at 11-7.

Redszone Top Ten
    3. Phillip Ervin: 1-4, 2K Ervin has yet to fill up the boxscore much this April. He's hitting a paltry .215
    9. Seth Mejias-Brean: 0-4, BB, K Hitting .280 with a .426 OBP

Notes
    (Redszone #34) Tanner Rahier is 6 for his last 18 with 3 doubles and a home run.
    Chad Reineke made a franchise best 98th start for Louisville, an inauspicious record to say the least
    Yorman Rodriguez has an 8 game hitting streak
    Masters champion Bubba Watson will be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch at tonight's game. Fans are encouraged to wear green. They are also encouraged to remain quiet and refrain from photography while Watson is in his wind up and pitching motion.
    Last edited by OGB; 04-24-2014 at 06:21 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

19. Likes:

Benihana (04-24-2014), mace (04-24-2014), texasdave (04-24-2014)

Masters champion Bubba Watson will be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch at tonight's game. Fans are encouraged to wear green. They are also encouraged to remain quiet and refrain from photography while Watson is in his wind up and pitching motion.
    Any word yet on whether his caddy will be tending a flag stick at home whilst Bubba is in his windup?

Also, speaking of Covington, whatever happened with Reds prospect
    Vaughn Covington?
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-24-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Turn Off Ads?