Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: 4/5/14 - Reds vs Mets

Re: 4/5/14 - Reds vs Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    What I hate is my feeling that a former manager is smiling -- might just be in my head -
    Just bad luck to start the season. Chapman beaned...out. Latos steps wrong...out. Shumaker dives...out. Reds were 1 hit, play or pitch away from winning 4 of these games. Very Frustrating way to start... : (

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I'm not going to sugar coat it. The Reds are hitting .205 in five games. Starting pitching has been good, but Homer and Leake just had stinkers of starts, till a 3.09 ERA. That's all you can expect, except for bad starts from Leake and Bailey were not encouraging. The bullpen has had two blowups in five games. Price's use of Bell the other day and Hoover today was not good, and his unwillingness to make a change when neither really had it was baffling. Bullpen ERA is 5.73. Not good. Still, the Reds have only been outscored 18-13 and they had an opportunity to win four of the games and mistakes caused them to go down. Surely it will get better, but I don't see anything in Price that makes me adore him as a manager. As they say, it is early, but even though he's mixing it up, it's not working. If 1-4 goes to 5-11 (as I expect but hope not), this place will be in free-fall.

By the way, I though Price's answer to the question of keeping LaCure in the game for a second inning was interesting. A short answer of no followed by silence. No explanation. Nothing. I'm in the minority, but I think he's in over his head now. That may change and I hope it does. I'm rooting for him.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Fair enough. I concede that Price is in a tough spot due to all the injuries to the pen.

But as far today goes - the fight is now and here. The Reds had a one run lead going into the final inning - not tied or behind which would've changed the calculation.

I'd much rather keep LeCure in today to SEAL A WIN than worry about not being able to use him tomorrow.
    I know hindsight is 20/20 but with all the injuries to the pen, the top starters and relievers are going to need to be pushed a little further perhaps.

While I agree that LeClure could have at least started the next inning..... Hoover is not some throwback to those pitchers this team had in the mid 2000's.

He has closed out some games. He has not been this shaky doing it...... but then again...he was terrible last April too. What can you do though? Loan him out for the month of April.

I also think that Price figured that if he used up Parra ......and then it went EI...he was going to tire his bullpen? I don't agree, unless LeClure cannot go back to back games. I just think he saw what he had left in the pen and he figured he had no chance if this went EI.

UPDATE: LeCure threw 11 pitches in the 8th.

Ummm.... what the heck happened to my long and great thought out post??

Now I have to do this all over again?

Forget it.

This game blew.....that is all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I'm not going to sugar coat it. The Reds are hitting .205 in five games. Starting pitching has been good, but Homer and Leake just had stinkers of starts, till a 3.09 ERA. That's all you can expect, except for bad starts from Leake and Bailey were not encouraging. The bullpen has had two blowups in five games. Price's use of Bell the other day and Hoover today was not good, and his unwillingness to make a change when neither really had it was baffling. Bullpen ERA is 5.73. Not good. Still, the Reds have only been outscored 18-13 and they had an opportunity to win four of the games and mistakes caused them to go down. Surely it will get better, but I don't see anything in Price that makes me adore him as a manager. As they say, it is early, but even though he's mixing it up, it's not working. If 1-4 goes to 5-11 (as I expect but hope not), this place will be in free-fall.

By the way, I though Price's answer to the question of keeping LaCure in the game for a second inning was interesting. A short answer of no followed by silence. No explanation. Nothing. I'm in the minority, but I think he's in over his head now. That may change and I hope it does. I'm rooting for him.

His response....was dare I day.... Dusty-esque in it's arrogance but at least Dusty would have said something and talked about Ralph Garr or Buzz Capra.

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

Bringing Hoover in to close in the 9th wasn't an unreasonable move per se. In Chapman's absence, they want him to close some games out and he was pretty solid last year. So I understand it.

I guess my criticism is the in the same vein as 757690's. I know it's early but he's made some pretty conventional decisions.
    I agree with 757690 in that when you have guys hurt, that's the precise time to get a little creative.

The loss isn't on Price and it's still super early, but I'd prefer him to think outside the box on some things - let guys go an extra inning to seal a one run game for instance.

The Reds have lost 4 one run ball games and LeCure has only thrown 11 pitches all year. Think about that.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

The more I think about this, the less I'm upset about using LeCure for one inning only. They're in a position where they have to trot out Alfredo Simon tomorrow to start the game. If Price is unsure how many innings Simon can actually go, I don't blame him at all for limiting LeCure to one inning today in order to use him some more tomorrow.

Fun game to be at, but I'd do anything to change that ending. Highest of highs to lowest of lows.

Pat Riley was me as the ball sailed over the fence
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

9. Likes:

kbrake (04-05-2014), PepperJack (04-05-2014), villain612 (04-06-2014)

First dumb move of the year by Price. Leave LeCure in to pitch the 9th. He had a very easy 8th. Maybe 11 or 12 pitches. I had a feeling when they brought in Hoover he would blow it. No reason not to leave LeCure in. Especially when you are going bullpen by committee.
    The offense still sucks but its going to all year unless some big changes are made. The Reds have to win these 3-2 type games or its going to be a very loooooooong season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

11. Likes:

Sea Ray (04-07-2014)

I still think it is likely there is something going on health wise with LeCure that we are unaware of.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Regardless of his choice of Hoover for the 9th, how do you rationalize letting him face the LHH Davis, who has big splits...instead of calling on Parra?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    I still think it is likely there is something going on health wise with LeCure that we are unaware of.
    This seems to happen a lot with him that's for sure.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    His FB did top out at only 88 but it had good movement, and his change-up and curve were great.

I think he would have closed things out just fine.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

sorry

Turn Off Ads?