Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Kurt Cobain died 20 years ago today. RIP.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kurt Cobain died 20 years ago today. RIP.

Not sure if there's many Nirvana fans on the board but I've always been a big one so this day is kind of big deal to me.

The Seattle Times did a cool article on how the "Seattle Scene" has evolved since then, and they also released a lot of pictures from the scene of his suicide that somehow went undeveloped until recently (love the hard work and diligence they put into the case).

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...aders1xml.html
    Twenty years ago Saturday, Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain shot himself. In the intervening years, his contemporaries have changed, Seattle has changed and music has changed. But he still holds sway.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Re: Kurt Cobain died 20 years ago today. RIP.

Some guy actually had a parade for him in downtown Portland today, they had commercials on the radio

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Some guy actually had a parade for him in downtown Portland today, they had commercials on the radio
    One guy isn't really a parade.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Don't lie... it was you wasn't it.

Murder.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Murder.
    Was it Courtney?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Murder.
    Not sure if you're being serious or facetious, but I spent quite a bit of time in my teens reading the Tom Grant Case Files as well as the stuff on http://www.justiceforkurt.com/

There were a lot of oddities around the whole thing. #1 in my mind being - why the hell did she (Courtney) cancel his credit cards when he went missing? Anyone with a brain would let him keep charging away and track him down based on where he uses it.

Eventually I came to the conclusion that either way (murder or suicide) he was dead and not coming back. But it does make for some interesting research if you've got time to kill.
    Last edited by The Operator; 04-05-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Semi-serious, he does appear to have become a miserable guy who lived only for his next shot of heroin, but his death did benefit not only his wife but a lot of other people.

But yeah he's dead, doesn't change anything.
    Go Gators!

9. Likes:

The Operator (04-05-2014)

Nirvana played one concert in Birmingham, Al in 1994 at a very small venue and I kinda wish I would have went..... Other musicians I would like to see just to say I see them before they get to old to perform is Madonna and U2.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

I'm a bit late to the show, but oh well.

Huge Nirvana fan, here. I wasn't mature enough to appreciate their music when they were big (I was 5 when Kurt died), but I'll never forget the first time I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit and Come As You Are back-to-back while in the car one summer afternoon. I was probably 9, and I fell in love with them that day.

As far as the conspiracy stuff, I just don't buy it. From what I understand, Courtney cancelled his cards because she was terrified of him buying another weapon (most of them had been confiscated by the police a few weeks prior). She knew he was suicidal, and the minute he turned up missing, she hired one Tom Grant to find him. He failed, and Kurt wound up dead.

I often find myself wondering how Kurt would have ended up had he not killed himself, but I feel like he would have inevitably wound up dead at a young age, anyway. He was a serious addict, his family had a history of severe depression and suicide, and his lyrics and journals were filled with self-loathing. Frankly, I think his unlikely success kept him on this earth a bit longer than if he'd been an unknown, unemployed drug addict. Luckily his talent shined through, and the world was granted access to a highly gifted artist. I'm glad he existed even if he wasn't.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-09-2014)

Turn Off Ads?