Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Mickey Rooney

Re: RIP Mickey Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The only thing I knew him as was the voice of Santa Claus in Santa Claus is Comin' to Town. I don't know or remember watching a movie he was in. I do know he had a bunch of wives and probably a ton of alimony payments.
    He was also Santa in the Year Without a Santa Claus with the Miser Brothers and all. He played a jockey in a Twilight Zone. I got the impression from a later interview that he thought Twilight Zone was beneath him but whatever

I saw an interview on TCM with Robert Osborne and Rooney nearly hit him. He seemed very emotionally unstable then

2. Turn Off Ads?

I got an interesting tale...

Back in the mid-60s, when his career was kinda "Blah", he was performing for the Kenley Players (out of Dayton). My grandmother had an ice cream store in a small village (Harmony) located between Springfield and Columbus (right on National Road/ Rte 40). My Mom, and her sisters, would help grandma run the store. One day this beat up station wagon pulls in and a group get out, come to the window and order food. They're sitting on the back tailgate of the station wagon eating when my Mom recognizes one of them as Mickey Rooney. They go up to the car and are talking with them. Mickey and "company" had just finished in Dayton and were heading for Columbus.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

4. Likes:

redsmetz (04-10-2014)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

As one writer appropriately put it - he was the Justin Bieber of his time.

RIP Mickey
    What an insult to Mickey Rooney. Rooney took over after Shirley Temple as the #1 Box Office attraction in the World. Bieber is famous for spanking his monkey.

- - - Updated - - -

Sunday, beginning at 6:00 a.m., TCM will show 24 hours of Mickey Rooney movies.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Sunday, beginning at 6:00 a.m., TCM will show 24 hours of Mickey Rooney movies.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

My favorite Mickey Rooney movies (in chronological order):

Little Lord Fauntleroy (1936)

Captains Courageous (1937)

Boys Town (1938)

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1939)

Young Tom Edison (1939)

National Velvet (1944)

The Big Wheel (1949)

The Black Stallion (1979)

Bill (1981)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

Bieber is famous for spanking his monkey.
    Def don't mean to defense Justin Bieber but I would say he is famous for singing terrible pop songs, not for masturbating.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I got an interesting tale...

Back in the mid-60s, when his career was kinda "Blah", he was performing for the Kenley Players (out of Dayton). My grandmother had an ice cream store in a small village (Harmony) located between Springfield and Columbus (right on National Road/ Rte 40). My Mom, and her sisters, would help grandma run the store. One day this beat up station wagon pulls in and a group get out, come to the window and order food. They're sitting on the back tailgate of the station wagon eating when my Mom recognizes one of them as Mickey Rooney. They go up to the car and are talking with them. Mickey and "company" had just finished in Dayton and were heading for Columbus.
    Great story. Thanks
    Looks like it was 1975.

Here's a list of all the Kenley Players shows and "stars." I remember seeing Fonzie in "Room Service" in 1976

http://www.kenleyplayershistory.com/dayton.htm
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Top-Grossing Actors/Actresses by year **:

1932-33 Marie Dressler
    1934 Will Rogers
    1935-38 Shirley Temple
    1939-41 Mickey Rooney (1939 is considered the best year ever for movies, and Rooney was #1 in box office receipts)
    1942 Abbott & Costello (WWII saw numerous stars enlist...everything changed)
    1943 Betty Grable
    1944-48 Bing Crosby
    1949 Bob Hope
    1950-51 John Wayne
    1952 Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis
    1953 Gary Cooper
    1954 John Wayne
    1955 James Stewart
    1956 William Holden
    1957 Rock Hudson (First Actor to be #1 after never being in the Top-10 any previous year)
    1958 Glenn Ford
    1959 Rock Hudson (From 1957-64, Rock Hudson was less than #3 only once, and that was #5 in 1958)
    1960 Doris Day
    1961 Elizabeth Taylor
    1962-64 Doris Day
    1965 Sean Connery
    1966-67 Julie Andrews
    1968 Sidney Poitier
    1969-70 Paul Newman

** Quigley's Annual "Top Ten MoneyMakers Poll" has been conducted every year since 1932 and is based on a yearly survey of motion picture exhibitors. The survey asks the exhibitors to vote for the ten stars who generated the most box-office revenue for their theatres that year. Though it doesn't reflect actual box-office receipts, the Quigley poll has long been regarded as a reliable indicator of a star's box-office draw. It is published annually in the International Motion Picture Almanac (New York: Quigley Publications).

When looking over the lists below, keep in mind that (especially in the earlier years) a star's ranking was frequently influenced by major blockbuster movies of their career, but not always in the year of the film's official release. This is because under the old method of distributing films, it often took a movie many months after its premiere to reach theatres throughout the United States. In the days of single-screen theatres (as opposed to today's multiplexes), films were not released simultaneously in hundreds of theatres across the country the way they are now. Instead, movies opened in a few large theatres of major metropolitan cities before gradually working their way into the smaller theatres and cities as the larger theatres chose to showcase new films. The more successful a film was, the longer it played in the big theatres, and the longer it took for people in the smaller cities to get to see it. Thus, individual films continued to generate box-office revenues for several years, spreading out the impact of their success on the annual ranking of their stars.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-09-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Judy Garland places her handprints at Grauman's:

Attachment 6934

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Def don't mean to defense Justin Bieber but I would say he is famous for singing terrible pop songs, not for masturbating.
    I'm sure you didn't...just the writer suggesting any connection. Bieber abused his monkey by abandoning it in Germany. About the only way he can get in the news is to do something stupid.

I'm sure a lot of you have seen: his estate was $18K! He was worth less than me.

What's the lesson here kids? Don't get married.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'm sure a lot of you have seen: his estate was $18K! He was worth less than me.

What's the lesson here kids? Don't get married.
    Or, don't outlive your retirement.

(Just watched "Revolutionary Road".)

On a Reds related note, I remember an episode of Conan back in 1994 when Pete Rose and Mickey Rooney were guests and Rooney was acting very bizarre. Pete looked like he thought Rooney was high or drunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He was also Santa in the Year Without a Santa Claus with the Miser Brothers and all. He played a jockey in a Twilight Zone. I got the impression from a later interview that he thought Twilight Zone was beneath him but whatever

I saw an interview on TCM with Robert Osborne and Rooney nearly hit him. He seemed very emotionally unstable then
    Right after I posted I saw him in an episode of Night Gallery on METV. He must have done some acting in these types of shows quite a bit late in his career. Guess he able to make a couple of alimony payments that way.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

One role I wish he hadn't taken was for Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Great movie, but sheesh.

Turn Off Ads?