Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds RESIGN Chris Nelson

Reds RESIGN Chris Nelson

IMHO, this is a great move. I was mad we let him go, but he could provide us with valuable depth. I feel he can play 1B, 2B, SS, 3B and LF. Price said he is versatile and can play multiple positions, not very good defensively, but isn't horrible.

With Cozart struggling early, I guess Nelson felt he had a great opportunity here. Let's see if he tears it up in AAA Louisville and earns his way to Cincinnati.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds RESIGN Chris Nelson

Cozart better get things going. He didn't come alive until the later part of last season, but we can't wait that long to get production from the SS position. Hopefully he can break this 0-19 slump he's in today against the Cards.

I think the only reason he didn't make the team out of spring training was because they didn't want to lose anyone off the 40-man roster. Not saying that's right, but I believe that's what happened. I agree - I like the signing. Hope he gets a shot before his opt out on May 6.

NM

IMHO, Nelson should be on this team right now. I want him over Santiago.

Heisey, Bernadina, Pena, Nelson, Soto(until Schumaker gets healthy)

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    IMHO, Nelson should be on this team right now. I want him over Santiago.

Heisey, Bernadina, Pena, Nelson, Soto(until Schumaker gets healthy)
    O agree - they need Nelson's bat more than they need Santiago's glove. The difference between bat and glove in this case, imo, strongly favors Nelson.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    O agree - they need Nelson's bat more than they need Santiago's glove. The difference between bat and glove in this case, imo, strongly favors Nelson.
    So, you would rather have Nelson (who has a total of 3 games in the majors at SS), then Santiago, who has over 460 games at Major League shortstop. Well, I can see that-- I mean you would never want to double switch or just pinch hit for a .111 starting shortstop.

If, we are reacting to the MOMENT, and not thinking in the near future, then the person that should be down for Chris Nelson really should be Neftali Soto.

What the Reds could do is release Ryan LaMarre from the 40-man roster, send down Soto and let him play everyday, and then add Chris Nelson to the 40-man roster and call him up--HOWEVER--I think they are waiting to see how and when Schumaker will be ready--and if Schumaker is ready by May 5th, then Schumaker gets the call, and LaMarre is removed from the 40-man roster.

But, if Schumaker is not ready then--then Nelson will get the call because he is a right handed hitting infield compliment to Santiago that IN A PINCH could play shortstop.
    Last edited by Don Votto; 04-20-2014 at 09:39 AM.

Don - YES for replacing Cozart for a game or 2, I'd rather have Nelson. If Cozart goes down everyday I'd bring Santiago up from AAA. I am not talking about Nelson replacing Cozart but as a bench player who can hit and play all infield spots in an emergency.

Well since he has played zero shortstop at Louisville, and only ten games at SS last year, I have to assume your wish is not in the Reds plans.

Reds are looking better all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Votto View Post
    Well since he has played zero shortstop at Louisville, and only ten games at SS last year, I have to assume your wish is not in the Reds plans.
    I'll get over it - lots of my wishes aren't in their plans

Turn Off Ads?