Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Price and a first inning bunt = Manager who embraces sabremetrics?

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    74

    Re: Price what the heck was that!!?!?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Votto View Post
    As I have said in a couple of other threads.... Dusty Baker won 90 games three times in his tenure with Cincinnati. Only Sparky Anderson has accomplished that as a Reds manager.

    Look at what Baker had to contend with last year
    1. His ace was available off and on throughout the year.
    2. His clean-up hitter was gone for pretty much the entire season.
    3. His two veteran set-up men were hurt all of last year.
    4. He received absolutely NO front office support AFTER the season started.

    To be perfectly frank, Baker's 2013 campaign was probably the best managerial job this city has seen since 1990.
    I'll go on record saying that I didn't support Baker's firing. That said, I'll give Price time to get things headed in the right direction.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    185

    Price and a first inning bunt = Manager who embraces sabremetrics?

    Ok, why is Phillips bunting in the first inning?
    If Price called that (and that is a big if) What in God's name is he DOING?

    I realize it is a small sample size, but Phillips is only hitting 2 for 4 so far this year with runners in scoring position, and well, he is hitting .292 on the year.
    I can see if it were Cozart... I can see if it were Cingrani... but to take the bat out of Phillips' hands?

    What the heck?

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    74

    Re: Price and a first inning bunt = Manager who embraces sabremetrics?

    Yeah, I totally disagreed with that. Hamilton is fast enough to score from second on a single (he legged a double out of a normal single!). Just a very dumb decision in my book, but hindsight is 20/20.

  5. #19
    Member Kilgore_Trout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    79

    Re: Price and a first inning bunt = Manager who embraces sabremetrics?

    Don't we already have a "what the heck was that, Price" thread going?

    Sure it was frustrating, but if people really wanted to they could make a thread every game on decisions they didn't agree with.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    185

    Re: Price and a first inning bunt = Manager who embraces sabremetrics?

    Yeah, I suppose we do. However--I find it EXTREMELY frustrating that this team/organization went out (knowing the window is closing) and promoted Price with NO MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE.

    And then, a lot of the interviews, a lot of the discussions were about how everything would be different--he was a manager that would embrace sabermetrics, embrace the numbers... bring excitement to the team--and I am supremely frustrated that it looks like we have a manager that is LEARNING on the job--which is fine if you are the Astros--but NOT when you take over a team that has made it to the playoffs three out of four years.

    People compared the firing of Baker to the firing of Bristol and bringing in Anderson--that it was needed to get the Reds over the obstacle--to win a playoff series, and hopefully to play in the World Series, but dag gone it... Anderson was a minor league manager for five seasons--he was not learning how to manage on the job.

    I, obviously, did not agree with the Baker firing, but it is what it is.... and one has to move on to the present, but I expect a lot of things from this organization.

    To me, hiring an established/phenomenal pitching coach as your manager--when he has NO managing experience is something that our professional football team would do--and not something that the Cincinnati Reds would do.

    And, when he makes extremely questionable decisions, then yes it should be pointed out.
    To me, Price has NO managerial credibility to fall back on--and for a team that is EXPECTED to contend--then dag gone it... the man and the organization gets NO PASS from me.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    74

    Re: Price and a first inning bunt = Manager who embraces sabremetrics?

    Preach it, brother!

  8. #22
    Member Kilgore_Trout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    79

    Re: Price and a first inning bunt = Manager who embraces sabremetrics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Votto View Post
    Yeah, I suppose we do. However--I find it EXTREMELY frustrating that this team/organization went out (knowing the window is closing) and promoted Price with NO MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE.

    And then, a lot of the interviews, a lot of the discussions were about how everything would be different--he was a manager that would embrace sabermetrics, embrace the numbers... bring excitement to the team--and I am supremely frustrated that it looks like we have a manager that is LEARNING on the job--which is fine if you are the Astros--but NOT when you take over a team that has made it to the playoffs three out of four years.

    People compared the firing of Baker to the firing of Bristol and bringing in Anderson--that it was needed to get the Reds over the obstacle--to win a playoff series, and hopefully to play in the World Series, but dag gone it... Anderson was a minor league manager for five seasons--he was not learning how to manage on the job.

    I, obviously, did not agree with the Baker firing, but it is what it is.... and one has to move on to the present, but I expect a lot of things from this organization.

    To me, hiring an established/phenomenal pitching coach as your manager--when he has NO managing experience is something that our professional football team would do--and not something that the Cincinnati Reds would do.

    And, when he makes extremely questionable decisions, then yes it should be pointed out.
    To me, Price has NO managerial credibility to fall back on--and for a team that is EXPECTED to contend--then dag gone it... the man and the organization gets NO PASS from me.
    So, a lot of your anger seems to be directed at the Reds for hiring a manager with no previous experience. Fine. But were the Cardinals wrong to hire Matheny? Did the Blue Jays make a mistake when they hired a former pitching coach in John Farrell? What about when the Dodgers hired Don Mattingly, or the Marlins hired Joe Girardi? Kirk Gibson had no previous managerial experience, and Matt Williams seemed to be welcomed with open arms. It looks like professional football teams aren't the only ones to take chances on guys without head coaching experience. Care to throw out any names of established coaches without jobs that the Reds should have pursued instead?

    I know people are tired of hearing it, but how can someone possibly gauge the managerial proficiency of someone midway through the seventh game of the season? I'm not happy about the bunt. I'm not happy about Price's decision to take LeCure out after the 8th. But do you REALLY think that those two decisions automatically qualify Price as a guy who is "learning on the job"?

    I shouldn't be surprised with the negativity, but I really thought it would take longer than 7 games before people started making rash conclusions about our team/new manager.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    185

    Re: Price and a first inning bunt = Manager who embraces sabremetrics?

    Really, the only comparison you have to Price is Matheny. And to me, yes Matheny was LEARNING ON THE JOB.
    John Farrell took over a 4th place Blue Jays team, and led them to 4th place--while learning on the job.

    Kirk Gibson was a long time bench coach.
    Don Mattingly was a bench coach under Joe Torre.
    Matt Williams had a brief minor league managerial gig as well as the third base coach for Gibson.
    Joe Girardi was hired by the Marlins after being Torre's bench coach in 2005.

  10. #24
    Member Kilgore_Trout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    79

    Re: Price and a first inning bunt = Manager who embraces sabremetrics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Votto View Post
    Really, the only comparison you have to Price is Matheny. And to me, yes Matheny was LEARNING ON THE JOB.
    John Farrell took over a 4th place Blue Jays team, and led them to 4th place--while learning on the job.

    Kirk Gibson was a long time bench coach.
    Don Mattingly was a bench coach under Joe Torre.
    Matt Williams had a brief minor league managerial gig as well as the third base coach for Gibson.
    Joe Girardi was hired by the Marlins after being Torre's bench coach in 2005.
    Didn't you put "NO MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE" in all capital letters, thus stressing it's importance? I simply named guys who, when hired, had no managerial experience. Why does being a bench coach now count? Price was an exceptional pitching coach for over a decade. How does that not qualify him to manage a team?

    Matheny won 88 games. Pretty good for a guy who was learning on the job.

    By the way, you never offered any names of established, unemployed managers who would have been better options than Price. Or should I say, established bench coaches?

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wheelersburg, Ohio
    Posts
    929

    Re: Price and a first inning bunt = Manager who embraces sabremetrics?

    I'm willing to live with Price learning on the job - and it is only seven games, but I had conversations and debates with people last fall after Baker was let go. My point was be careful what you wish for. Many wanted Baker gone and even seemed to revel in his release - and wanted him gone so bad, that they thought anyone would be better. Much is expected for Price because he's taking over a team that has won at least 90 games in three of the last four seasons with three post-season experiences. Unfortunately I think most of those folks would rather finish 4th or 5th with a guy like Price, that they like, instead of winning divisions and making the playoffs with the manager we had in Baker. There is still time, but through the first seven it's hard to tell a lot of difference from the last six games of last season.

  12. #26
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,134

    Re: Price and a first inning bunt = Manager who embraces sabremetrics?

    To me Price seems to still be in spring training mode. Down 3-1 to the Cardinals, you don't pitch the guy that gets sent down when Broxton is activated.

    You also don't run Pena on Molina, and you sure don't bunt Hamilton to 3B.

    And if the bunt was Phillip's call, Price obviously didn't do his job during all those classroom discussions during ST.
    Last edited by malcontent; 04-08-2014 at 01:24 AM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    191

    Re: Price and a first inning bunt = Manager who embraces sabremetrics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Votto View Post
    To me, hiring an established/phenomenal pitching coach as your manager--when he has NO managing experience is something that our professional football team would do--and not something that the Cincinnati Reds would do.
    I too think the Bengals should hire a pitching coach.
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

  14. #28
    Member Kilgore_Trout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    79

    Re: Price and a first inning bunt = Manager who embraces sabremetrics?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    To me Price seems to still be in spring training mode. Down 3-1 to the Cardinals, you don't pitch the guy that gets sent down when Broxton is activated.

    You also don't run Pena on Molina, and you sure don't bunt Hamilton to 3B.

    And if the bunt was Phillip's call, Price obviously didn't do his job during all those classroom discussions during ST.
    It's been a slow start for just about everyone, and Price certainly isn't an exception. I thought the Reds passed on better options when they chose Bell for that final bullpen spot. I wasn't a fan of the decision to march him out there when the game was still in reach, but who else was available? I'm legitimately curious because I can't remember who we'd used up to that point.

    I don't mind being more aggressive on the base paths, but Pena's stolen base attempt was strange. As was BP bunting with no outs and a man on second. I really hope the bunting dies down a bit.

  15. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    185

    Re: Price what the heck was that!!?!?!?!

    `Ahhh Bryan Price.....

    Ohhh to have a winning manager back with experience.... memories....


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25