Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price and a first inning bunt = Manager who embraces sabremetrics?

Price what the heck was that!!?!?!?!

Between Billy Hamilton being relatively non-existent and iffy moves by Price....Our season may be over before it begain
    Steven, nothing is higher than an architect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Price what the heck was that!!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
    Between Billy Hamilton being relatively non-existent and iffy moves by Price....Our season may be over before it begain
    We're five games in, man. Take a breath, sip on some water, and put your clothes back on.

It's a lousy start, but at some point during the season we would've gone 1-4 anyway. We just got it out of the way early.

Yea I know....I've calmed down....Thanks I needed that.
    Steven, nothing is higher than an architect.

Things will balance out in due time. I'm disappointed with our start, but there are so many variables and moving parts, things are bound to improve. We'll be right up there in September. But, with that being said, I don't care if he's a faster than Usain Bolt, but Hamilton's gotta get on base. As the old saying goes, you can't steal first base.

I just really don't like J.J. Hoover. I know he's had some good moments, but every time I see this guy pitch things always go off the rail. Maybe I'm bad luck and should change the channel when he comes out of the bullpen.

I called it last October, after Baker was fired. Actually I was a little optimistic. I said it would take 10 games before fans started questioning Price's (or at that time the new manager's), line-ups and/or moves. Perhaps we are finding it out that Dusty Baker may not have been the problem, or at least not as big a problem as he was made out to be. That being said, Price is not playing with a full deck (in regards to all the injuries) and we are only five games into the season.

Basically this is last years team, minus Choo.

Why are we expecting a different result ?

Quote Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
    Basically this is last years team, minus Choo.

Why are we expecting a different result ?

Because, as I've read on here all offseason... every single Reds player that had a good year last year will have the exact same year this year, and every player that was bad last year was going to drastically improve, and Billy Hamilton was a guarantee to hit his minor league pre-AAA levels.

In addition, every single player that had a good year on the Cardinals was due to decrease their production, no one was going to improve, and all their young pitchers were going to all of the sudden forget how to pitch.

Affable Opponent

"In addition, every single player that had a good year on the Cardinals was due to decrease their production, no one was going to improve, and all their young pitchers were going to all of the sudden forget how to pitch."

That IS partially correct. Cards are batting below .100 with RISP so far. Bourjos is 0 for the season, and Maness HAS forgotten how to locate his sinker. We'll see how both teams fare at St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by TDogg View Post
    "In addition, every single player that had a good year on the Cardinals was due to decrease their production, no one was going to improve, and all their young pitchers were going to all of the sudden forget how to pitch."

That IS partially correct. Cards are batting below .100 with RISP so far. Bourjos is 0 for the season, and Maness HAS forgotten how to locate his sinker. We'll see how both teams fare at St. Louis.
    The Cardinals are also hitting home runs, which they didn't do a lot of last year.

They were in the top 2 in the NL in runs in 2011 and 2012 as well, and didn't hit near .330 with RISP like they did in 2013.

The Cardinals have a good lineup every year, they have people that hit .300 with a very good OBP up and down that lineup every year. They are going to score runs no matter what their RISP avg is, just like they have the last 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    I called it last October, after Baker was fired. Actually I was a little optimistic. I said it would take 10 games before fans started questioning Price's (or at that time the new manager's), line-ups and/or moves. Perhaps we are finding it out that Dusty Baker may not have been the problem, or at least not as big a problem as he was made out to be. That being said, Price is not playing with a full deck (in regards to all the injuries) and we are only five games into the season.
    Criticism is inevitable. It's a long season, and I think the slow start really sped it up. We've also had a few setbacks health-wise, so it's natural to kind of panic when things on the field aren't looking too good. Not to mention, all of our losses have been winnable.

With that said, I don't really feel any panic. I realize that it's too early to gauge Price's managerial skills, so I don't fault him yet. It's important to remember that a lot of what has happened has been the result of bad luck and nothing else.

As far as Dusty is concerned, I thought he was an above-average manager overall. He seemed to be great with the players, and I think they all enjoyed playing for him for the most part. He was a bit too old school for me, and a lot of his tactical decisions made me scratch my head, but he helped bring success back to Cincinnati. I think it was a good decision to let him go, but I think I'll look back on him more fondly one day than I do now.

As I have said in a couple of other threads.... Dusty Baker won 90 games three times in his tenure with Cincinnati. Only Sparky Anderson has accomplished that as a Reds manager.

Look at what Baker had to contend with last year
    1. His ace was available off and on throughout the year.
    2. His clean-up hitter was gone for pretty much the entire season.
    3. His two veteran set-up men were hurt all of last year.
    4. He received absolutely NO front office support AFTER the season started.

To be perfectly frank, Baker's 2013 campaign was probably the best managerial job this city has seen since 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Votto View Post
    As I have said in a couple of other threads.... Dusty Baker won 90 games three times in his tenure with Cincinnati. Only Sparky Anderson has accomplished that as a Reds manager.

Look at what Baker had to contend with last year
    1. His ace was available off and on throughout the year.
    2. His clean-up hitter was gone for pretty much the entire season.
    3. His two veteran set-up men were hurt all of last year.
    4. He received absolutely NO front office support AFTER the season started.

To be perfectly frank, Baker's 2013 campaign was probably the best managerial job this city has seen since 1990.
    I agree. But he is gone and not coming back. We must move on.

I just think it's funny how some fans can turn so quickly. The comment about criticism being inevitable is correct, but five games? I believe many Reds fans, and some in the front office thought that ridding the organization of Dusty Baker was going to cure all the ills - not that this is a bad team, but it is a flawed team. I just think we need to let Price get his feet wet, with that, mistakes are going to happen.

I just think it's funny how some fans can turn so quickly. The comment about criticism being inevitable is correct, but five games? I believe many Reds fans, and some in the front office thought that ridding the organization of Dusty Baker was going to cure all the ills - not that this is a bad team, but it is a flawed team. I just think we need to let Price get his feet wet, with that, mistakes are going to happen.
    This doesn't necessarily apply to anyone in this thread, but from my experience, a lot of Reds fans are a bit reactionary. Then again, a lot of Buckeyes fans are too, so I'm assuming just about every sizable fanbase inevitably shares this trait.

Turn Off Ads?