Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Sometimes you just know

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Sometimes you just know

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post

If the old saying is true, that the best teams lose 1/3 of their games, the worst teams lose 1/3, and it's the middle 1/3 that make the difference, we have to win today just to be 0-3. Unlike past years during times when things didn't go well, I don't sense a recovery this year.
    Since you seem inclined to keep bringing it up, the actual quote is:

All teams are guaranteed to win 1/3rd of their games, and lose 1/3rd of their games, it's what they do with the other 1/3rd that makes the difference.

2. Likes:

cincyinco (04-21-2014),CmdrCody (04-25-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Since you seem inclined to keep bringing it up, the actual quote is:

All teams are guaranteed to win 1/3rd of their games, and lose 1/3rd of their games, it's what they do with the other 1/3rd that makes the difference.
    I wasn't trying to quote anyone, I was just referencing the principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    And under that analysis, we're only six games into a 54-game season.
    True dat. As I think about it Tony Larussa's view of a season breaks down the same way -- he always said "we just try to win series. Try to win the next series." He seemed to focus on series more than games, even. If you keep winning series you will have a very strong winning record in the middle 1/3 of games.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post

True dat. As I think about it Tony Larussa's view of a season breaks down the same way -- he always said "we just try to win series. Try to win the next series." He seemed to focus on series more than games, even. If you keep winning series you will have a very strong winning record in the middle 1/3 of games.
    It's all I've ever focused on, long before LaRoach ever became a manager.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Fangraphs has the Reds as fifth best in the majors in the overall sense of hitting/fielding/baserunning WAR.

The pitching ain't too bad either.

We knew April was gonna be tough, couple a few bad breaks in and the Reds are probably right where they should be. No surrender from me yet.

7. Likes:

cincyinco (04-24-2014),HeatherC1212 (04-24-2014),kbrake (04-21-2014),REDREAD (04-25-2014)

We've been competitive all year long. I mean 6 of our 8 losses are in one run games. Had we pulled those out we'd be sitting at 14-4 right now. We're THAT close to being the best in the majors. No panic here.

9. Likes:

CmdrCody (04-25-2014),REDREAD (04-25-2014)

Reds have lost by an average of 1.5 runs in their losses and won by an average of 3.62 in their wins, I like that ratio

11. Likes:

757690 (04-21-2014),Always Red (04-22-2014),bigredmechanism (04-21-2014),cincyinco (04-24-2014),HeatherC1212 (04-24-2014),HokieRed (04-21-2014),Raisor (04-21-2014),REDREAD (04-25-2014),reds44 (04-24-2014),Tom Servo (04-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    OK folks, so basically the Reds just shot a double-bogey on Hole 1. That's no reason to chuck your clubs into the pond.
    Followed up with a par on #2, and our tee shot on #3 is in the rough.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Reds 8-5 since the start of this thread

Reverse jink thread. I usually do not participate, but this time I did.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Should be a great pitched series in Atlanta this weekend, hopefully we can win a couple close ones. Being .500 or better adds a little spring to my step I think

Sometimes you just know April 8th is too early to just know anything.

April 24th isn't much better.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Should be a great pitched series in Atlanta this weekend, hopefully we can win a couple close ones. Being .500 or better adds a little spring to my step I think
    We're rolling pretty good right now. The bats have seemed to wake a bit, and our starting staff is phenomenal even with Latos on the DL. As our bullpen gets healthy we look better. When Chapman is back, look out.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Amazing how things can change. Since post we have won 3 straight series including just winning 3-4 on the road against playoff Pirates. Also, getting healthy. The pen is much better now and Chapman on the fast track. How about Simon - wow. We don't even miss Latos, but think if Latos gets back and Simon back in the pen and we will have one of the top pens again in the NL. Also, Hamilton getting consistant and on base and boy does he cause havoc. Even the bottom of the line up is improving greatly. I don't want to get too high on this, but I feel so much better about the team then I did 10 days ago. Baseball is a grind for sure. I remember Tampa Bay manager saying this is a much better team than people think.

Being 3rd in OBP in the NL despite losing Choo has been a very pleasant surprise thus far. Only Miami and Colorado have higher. So of what most people consider contenders the Reds are the best. Wow.

20. Likes:

Brutus (04-24-2014),REDREAD (05-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Being 3rd in OBP in the NL despite losing Choo has been a very pleasant surprise thus far. Only Miami and Colorado have higher. So of what most people consider contenders the Reds are the best. Wow.
    I was skeptical about this teams offense but I thought pitching would keep us in the 82-84 win range. What ive seen is enough for me to revise my prediction and say we will contend for the division title. Mes getting regular ABs is a big upgrade, Bruce's new patient approach has him getting on even when he doesn't hit well, and Ludwick looks like the guy that carried the offense when Votto went down in 2012.

I don't see much if any offense coming from our middle infielders, but I'm satisfied with Cozart if he can approach his 2013 offensive output.

Price is a smart guy, I trust he will recognize that he's got a guy in the #3 hole who barely OPS'd .700 last year and looks like his regression in 2012-13 is a pattern and not an aberration. IMO his success was always dependent on bat speed and as he gets into his mid 30s he no longer has the bat speed to make up for his awful plate discipline. Hope I'm wrong on this but I don't think I am.

Turn Off Ads?