Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Mitch Williams survive this? [ordering 10 year old kids to throw beanballs]

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Does Mitch Williams survive this? [ordering 10 year old kids to throw beanballs]

I say no way. If this means more Dan Plesac on MLB network, I'm good with that: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...le-league-game
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: Does Mitch Williams survive this? [ordering 10 year old kids to throw beanballs]

Nope. Not in this day and age.

I hate when adults ruin Little League.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Re: Does Mitch Williams survive this? [ordering 10 year old kids to throw beanballs]

They began ruining it when they went to traveling teams and gutted the regular leagues. You know, gotta get em ready - there all gonna be big leaguers some day after all.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

5. Likes:

919191 (05-18-2014),Beltway (05-17-2014),Big Klu (05-17-2014),CarolinaRedleg (05-19-2014),cincinnati chili (05-17-2014),Crumbley (05-17-2014),Degenerate39 (05-19-2014),jojo (05-17-2014),Joseph (05-17-2014),KYExtemper (05-17-2014),marcshoe (05-17-2014),mikdavrut (05-19-2014),OGB (05-17-2014),Old school 1983 (05-17-2014),Ravenlord (05-17-2014),RedsManRick (05-17-2014),RiverRat13 (05-17-2014),Roy Tucker (05-17-2014),Slyder (05-21-2014),westofyou (05-17-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (05-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    They began ruining it when they went to traveling teams and gutted the regular leagues. You know, gotta get em ready - there all gonna be big leaguers some day after all.
    It's pretty crazy when kids spend more time in the organized sports biz than they do with homework, playing with neighborhood friends, and engaging in other pursuits combined.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Reading something like that really annoys me. To say the least. I can remember an indoor tournament some years back while coaching our kids (8-10 years old). And one of the opposing coaches was all over his team screaming, yelling and cursing. Heck. These are kids. Let them play and teach them. But donīt get into any profanities when they make mistakes. Thats not right. The kids are supposed to have fun and not be scared to death. Though probably the most talented team they wound up dead last ... Now THATS a way to keep kids interested in a sport .... NOT!

The "real" competition will come soon enough and you donīt ask a child to hurt another kid on purpose. Sorry Mitch but this is retarded and plain and simple wrong!

My dad was fired as an assistant volunteer coach from two of my teams.

My son has nothing but positive memories from travel baseball and the coaching and relationships that he has been able to enjoy and develop through that system. It isn't for everyone, but I get kinda sick of hearing all the experts expound on how awful it is.

10. Likes:

Always Red (05-17-2014),George Anderson (05-17-2014),Marc D (05-18-2014),Old school 1983 (05-17-2014)

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

What he did was wrong, and he should not be allowed to coach the kids anymore.

Losing his job because of this? No.

12. Likes:

DanielPlainview (05-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    My son has nothing but positive memories from travel baseball and the coaching and relationships that he has been able to enjoy and develop through that system. It isn't for everyone, but I get kinda sick of hearing all the experts expound on how awful it is.
    There are some excellent traveling teams. The one in the town where I grew up wasn't one of them. It was mostly run by guys dads who thought their kids were going pro despite the fact that they sucked at baseball. Their families just had the money to put up for the costs of travel, uniforms and field time and so on. The guys who weren't friends with people on the traveling team ended up playing in the traditional little league. From that league, there were sponsored all star teams. I was on one of those and we took great pride in beating the daddy ball team.

Having said all of this, there were also some terrific travel teams with great coaching that were focused in baseball and not politics. My first hand experience with them just wasn't so great. Unfortunately this system carried over into high school. The traveling head coach was brought in as a coach and mysteriously everyone who wasnt on his team was weeded out. By sophomore year the best three players we had growing up and at the time were either cut or quit.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 05-17-2014 at 09:30 AM.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I don't see this as any kind of indictment over travel baseball.

This is just Mitch Williams being the same jackwagon bully that he has always been.

I happened to be in Clearwater one summer in the early 90's and watched him berate minor leaguers playing behind him while he did a rehab stint. Haven't been a fan ever since.

The guy turns my stomach every time I see or hear him on MLB network. Plus I think he's a terrible analyst. The sooner they get him off MLB network, the better. But he doesn't deserve to lose his job over this. Just all respect as a human.

I am perfectly fine if he loses his job over this. MLB Network has sponsors. Sponsors don't tend to like this kind of press.

This was by far the most-disturbing part:

repeatedly calling one a "squirrelly little teapot,"

Don't believe everything you read

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Here's my problem....travel ball co-existed with regular leagues for a long time. Good players and not-so-good all played regular league ball and some of the better kids would join travel teams. Little by little, year after year, dads (especially) and kids abandoned the regular leagues leaving a remnant that was too poor to be on a travel team (the costs are high) or that were just not very athletic. Interest in the regular leagues waned. Interest in the prestige of travel teams grew. Now, in our area, the regular leagues have collapsed and only Y ball (a really soft diluted version of baseball) remains for kids who are not interested in a travel team, or whose parents won't/can't make the time and financial commitment. One of my sons played on a traveling team and had a blast. It doesn't change the fact that it was mostly the hyper competitive dads who killed the regular leagues in a mistaken belief that playing alongside weaker kids would damage their sons development. Here, we went from 32 city teams and a great city tournament to 6 Y teams, no tourney, and about 20 travel teams, who, by the way, have a diluted level of talent compared to the "old" travel squads from the city.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

19. Likes:

jojo (05-19-2014),wheels (05-17-2014)

Worth The Wait

"Son, I want you to stare into that batter's box, pretend that little twerp is Joe Carter, and stick one in his ear with all you got."

21. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-19-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (05-19-2014),The Operator (05-18-2014)

Turn Off Ads?