Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Sometimes you just know

Re: Sometimes you just know

The 2012 team started 4-8 and went on to win 97 games. Last year's team started 5-7 and won 90 games. The 2011 team started out 8-3 and only won 79 games.

I'm not one who is prone to put much stock in stats or statistical analysis but these results seem to scream an answer. The Reds need to start out at least worse than 4-8 if they hope to have any chance of winning the world series.

I get that the victory a couple of nights ago was concerning but they are still tracking with their current record. People need to relax a little.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-09-2014), cincyinco (04-09-2014), Larkin Fan (04-09-2014), OGB (04-15-2014), RedEye (04-09-2014), villain612 (04-09-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    The defending World Series champs are 3-5 and in last place.
    They're already looking forward to Patriots games in Boston I guess.
    they are looking forward to the nhl playoffs (bruins for the win), so am I
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Y'all are posers. This is how you rant about a team:

Quote Originally Posted by April 2010 View Post
    on this day, no one and I mean no one is free from something they did poorly. On the laundry list:

Throwing the ball into the stands with two outs! I was taught to keep my head in the game in little league! Stubbs isn't a good enough player to be doing stuff like that at this stage in the game.

Jay Bruce missing fastballs right down the middle of the plate. Hitting .180. I'm tired of excusing him. He doesn't look right. Not at all.

Johnny Cueto's inability to put a start together. Had good stuff today, yet still managed to get hammered pretty good in spells. Nice base running as well.

I'm tired of seeing Joey Votto go down to one knee when he swings a bat. He does this nearly one at bat a game now, sometimes more. He's gone from a sure-bet that we all thought we had to a guy who now really has no business hitting third in any MLB lineup let alone ours. Joey, big league hitters don't hit from a knee, no excuses. Stop doing it. It looks terrible. It's Bush League.

Brandon Phillips. Not a clean up hitter. Whatever. Did he get picked off?

Gomes. No range in left field. Poor Pony League angle at the ball hit to left field that ended up a double. Swings at a first pitch down 5 runs and pops it safely into right field. Really the micro-cosm of the whole lineup. He goes up there hacking at fastballs down the middle and if he doesn't get it, automatic out. Lack of an approach in every plate appearance which is why he's not really a decent big league hitter and never has been. He also was picked off.

Ramon Hernandez is done. He's a singles hitter at best, a .230-.240 singles hitter. What does he bring to the table? Maybe he's a good cook or something I don't know. But he's bad on the field and Hanigan needs to be in the lineup 75% of the time.

I am so sick and tired of this team looking worse then the way 28 or 29 other teams in MLB look on a given day. They win ugly. The losses are ugly. They lose big. They look flat. They can't play from behind very well. They don't hit in the clutch. They don't play especially smart baseball.

This is a poor group of 25 and honestly, blow it up. You can say "wait until Memorial Day" but things aren't getting better. I don't care if Dusty comes back or not after this year, he doesn't deserve it and Bryan Price is a real schlup as a pitching coach as well. I don't need to see 162 to know that this team lacks a LOT and I don't care if every one of them isn't here next year.

You try something and if it doesn't work, you try something else. It's time to go back to the drawing board with a lot of these guys, including the sure bets we thought we had in Bruce, and Votto.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

6. Likes:

Big Klu (04-09-2014), kbrake (04-09-2014), RedTeamGo! (04-09-2014), villain612 (04-09-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (04-09-2014)

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Y'all are posers. This is how you rant about a team:

Name:  the-7-best-captain-picard-memes.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  8.2 KB
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

8. Likes:

Big Klu (04-09-2014), Raisor (04-09-2014), reds44 (04-14-2014)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'd forgotten about that thread. Nice find Raisor. Nice to see that I didn't respond in kind. I remember that game in SD, it was horrific. And it prompted that team meeting afterwards. The results...a 5 game winning streak and rolling off a 16-5 record immediately after. Bad losses and bad efforts are hard to watch...but they CAN be put to good use. A swift kick in the tail can do wonders. Not that I think this current version is in need of one. They're fine. Just need to stop with the mental mistakes and get a few breaks to turn their way.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Does this baseball team make my thighs look fat?

11. Likes:

RedEye (04-09-2014), TRF (04-09-2014)

Sometimes I just know the winning lottery numbers. The people pulling the numbers just keep pulling the wrong ones.

13. Likes:

cincyinco (04-09-2014), marcshoe (04-09-2014), OGB (04-15-2014), RedEye (04-09-2014), villain612 (04-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Red View Post
    So you'll be staying out of the game threads entirely then? Last night just about sealed it for me... Chicken Little has nothing on this place.
    Agreed. In my 12 years on this board, this has been the most miserable, dealing w/ the posters. Such a shame.

15. Likes:

cincyinco (04-09-2014), OC_Red (04-09-2014), RedlegJake (04-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Red View Post
    So you'll be staying out of the game threads entirely then? Last night just about sealed it for me... Chicken Little has nothing on this place.
    Nothing is more counter productive to enjoying baseball than the ORG Game Thread, I've enjoyed root canals 100 times more.

17. Likes:

cincyinco (04-09-2014), George Anderson (04-09-2014), HeatherC1212 (04-10-2014), OC_Red (04-09-2014), RedlegJake (04-09-2014), SirFelixCat (04-09-2014), traderumor (04-09-2014)

I've watched Opening Day and a couple innings over the weekend and that's it. Just don't really care at this point, and it appears I haven't missed anything either. I'm not saying it's impossible to go on a run this year, I just don't see it happening. Too many missing parts and too much bad luck with injuries before the season even began.

So yeah I feel meh too. And think that's totally fine, and doesn't make me any less of a fan as some here seem to believe.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Nothing is more counter productive to enjoying baseball than the ORG Game Thread, I've enjoyed root canals 100 times more.
    Root canals are actually great. But in the metaphor, ORG Game Threads are actually the intense, throbbing toothache that makes root canals worth their pricey bill.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

20. Likes:

Always Red (04-09-2014), bigredmechanism (04-09-2014), OC_Red (04-09-2014)

The great thing about threads like this is the Reds will eventually go on a run. every team does, even the Houston Astros. and at some point during that run we'll see a post about how the team now has fire.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

So yeah I feel meh too. And think that's totally fine, and doesn't make me any less of a fan as some here seem to believe.

Wait a second, and I swear I'm not trying to insult or upset you and start a big, whole thing, but I want to make sure I understand what you're saying. So you don't really care to follow Cincinnati Reds baseball, but that doesn't make you less of a fan of Cincinnati Reds baseball? Isn't that exactly what that does?

Edit: (and I'm saying this as a fan who is not nearly as die hard as I once was. Some nights, I just don't care.)
    Last edited by Gainesville Red; 04-09-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    Wait a second, and I swear I'm not trying to insult or upset you and start a big, whole thing, but I want to make sure I understand what you're saying. So you don't really care to follow Cincinnati Reds baseball, but that doesn't make you less of a fan of Cincinnati Reds baseball? Isn't that exactly what that does?
    I don't eat meat because I'm a vegetarian, but that doesn't make me less of a fan of a good steak now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I don't eat meat because I'm a vegetarian, but that doesn't make me less of a fan of a good steak now and then.
    wait... what?
    Suck it up cupcake.

25. Likes:

westofyou (04-09-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (04-10-2014)

Turn Off Ads?