Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Sometimes you just know

Re: Sometimes you just know

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Like many here, I've experienced a lot of disappointing Reds seasons. Also, I've been lucky enough to be a fan of 3 WS Championship Reds teams, and three really good runs of teams- 70's, late 90's and right now. Just by the math, chances are I will not see another Reds WS victory (hey, there are 30 teams out there, and I'm 53).
    You must have been gone late eighties and early nineties. The 90, 94, 95 teams were good.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
    You must have been gone late eighties and early nineties. The 90, 94, 95 teams were good.
    Yeah, I left a few out. But then again, it wasn't the main point of my post, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
    92 as well, won 1 less game than the 1990 team

5. Likes:

Big Klu (04-10-2014), Revering4Blue (04-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Man, that 2011 team is going all the way!

Oh, wait...
    LOL nice call....

People are missing the point of the thread. "Sometimes you just know" was very carefully chosen for a reason. My prediction/feeling about this year is not based on comparison to previous years or "what could happen" in the remaining 153 games. Heck I hope we go 153-0. But sometimes you just know....

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    LOL nice call....

People are missing the point of the thread. "Sometimes you just know" was very carefully chosen for a reason. My prediction/feeling about this year is not based on comparison to previous years or "what could happen" in the remaining 153 games. Heck I hope we go 153-0. But sometimes you just know....
    If there are times "you just know" then you should be wagering some significant bets in Vegas. Sounds like you should get a 2nd mortgage on your house and place it on the Reds to miss the playoffs, a bet you can still make.

8. Likes:

Raisor (04-10-2014), RedEye (04-10-2014)

LOL nice call....

I'm too lazy, did you predict the number of wins in the prediction thread?

Care to give that prediction now?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    If there are times "you just know" then you should be wagering some significant bets in Vegas. Sounds like you should get a 2nd mortgage on your house and place it on the Reds to miss the playoffs, a bet you can still make.
    I know enough to post on a message board, but not enough to mortgage the house. A pretty wide gap in between there. I'll be talking with Bill Clinton later about what the meaning of "know" is.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'm too lazy, did you predict the number of wins in the prediction thread?

Care to give that prediction now?
    I didn't. Since this thread will come back either way, I'll say 79 wins.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I think most people who are very concerned completely understand that a slow start is not an indicator or has any cause-effect relationship. Has anyone really been arguing that? Or are those reminding others of that just plucking some low hanging fruit, copying and pasting and posting it in various threads?

But the real point is that the offensive inefficiency is continuing from last year and makes being an also ran, similar to the Nats last year, look like a more likely outcome than in prior seasons for 2014.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

13. Likes:

membengal (04-12-2014)

Its all about run differential on making it into the playoffs.
    Last year six NL teams had positive differentials. Five made the playoffs.

Reds had a +109 last year, third best in the NL. They don't have to match that to make the playoffs.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

15. Likes:

Always Red (04-10-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (04-10-2014)

Things I just know: (1) One day our lives will come to an end. (2) Dill relish is good, sweet relish is gross.

Things I do not just know: Everything else.

17. Likes:

RedEye (04-10-2014), RedFanAlways1966 (04-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Things I just know: (1) One day our lives will come to an end. (2) Dill relish is good, sweet relish is gross.

Things I do not just know: Everything else.
    3 - Any vegetable pickled is good

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-11-2014)

LOL nice call....

Maybe you should have called it "Sometimes you just have a feeling.." when you say you know, you're speaking in absolutes anf certainties. You don't KNOW how this season is going to turn out anymore than anyone else here.

Choose your words carefully. Don't speak in absolutes. Qualify your posts with things like "I think" and you won't get as much flack.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

21. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (04-10-2014), OGB (04-15-2014), Raisor (04-10-2014), westofyou (04-10-2014)

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Its all about run differential on making it into the playoffs.
    Last year six NL teams had positive differentials. Five made the playoffs.

Reds had a +109 last year, third best in the NL. They don't have to match that to make the playoffs.
    Isn't this the same side of the "why do they play the games if the season is determined?" coin?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Isn't this the same side of the "why do they play the games if the season is determined?" coin?
    I don't think so, I'm just saying they don't have to be as good as they were last year as RS/RA to still make the playoffs.

They don't have to score as many runs as last year to have a positive differential.

5 of the six NL teams with a +diff made the playoffs.

Turn Off Ads?