Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: ACC considering non-conference games against...

  1. #1
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,423

    ACC considering non-conference games against...

    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,083

    Re: ACC considering non-conference games against...

    It's done occasionally in other sports. I know Xavier played Butler in the non-conference a couple of years ago in basketball even though they were both in the A-10 (special circumstances there since they didn't know they'd be in the same conference when they scheduled the game). The same thing happened in baseball this year even though they're both in the Big East (that one is probably a better example).

    Somehow it seems different in football. Particularly with the shorter season. Why not just play SEC and Big Ten and Pac 12 schools (and the occasional BYU, Boise State, etc.)?

    The Duke/NC State portion of the article does make sense, though. They're really only scheduled to play each other once in the next 11 years?!? That's nuts.

  4. #3
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,423

    Re: ACC considering non-conference games against...

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It's done occasionally in other sports. I know Xavier played Butler in the non-conference a couple of years ago in basketball even though they were both in the A-10 (special circumstances there since they didn't know they'd be in the same conference when they scheduled the game). The same thing happened in baseball this year even though they're both in the Big East (that one is probably a better example).

    Somehow it seems different in football. Particularly with the shorter season. Why not just play SEC and Big Ten and Pac 12 schools (and the occasional BYU, Boise State, etc.)?

    The Duke/NC State portion of the article does make sense, though. They're really only scheduled to play each other once in the next 11 years?!? That's nuts.
    Is it just going to get to the point anymore that they will play their 8 conference games and have 3 scrimmages? You see they pack them in for the spring games so why not just have 3 scrimmages and charge fans a nominal amount to attend? Or just play 3 Division II teams or J.C. teams and call them exhibitions like in basketball? You might as well since it looks like none of the power conferences want to schedule each other non-conference.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  5. #4
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,854

    Re: ACC considering non-conference games against...

    I don't think they expect it to happen all that much, it's just an out for situations where teams might want to play a rivalry game every year but are not permanent opponents, or they can't work out a game against a team from one of the other conferences. If restricted to Big 5 + ND + (maybe) BYU, that's something like 66 teams, 52 after subtracting ACC schools, and then you filter out teams that already have respectable non-conference games scheduled (which is at least half of them I'd think), then filter by open dates and by home/road balance and by the fact that just because Illinois is available to play on the road on Sept. 13, you can't make them do it if they don't want to... scheduling is not as easy as it sounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Is it just going to get to the point anymore that they will play their 8 conference games and have 3 scrimmages? You see they pack them in for the spring games so why not just have 3 scrimmages and charge fans a nominal amount to attend? Or just play 3 Division II teams or J.C. teams and call them exhibitions like in basketball? You might as well since it looks like none of the power conferences want to schedule each other non-conference.
    No, they'll have scrimmages and charge full price to attend. Just like they always have. At least it's a slight improvement to the status quo, since being compelled to schedule at least one respectable OOC opponent is a new thing. There hasn't been anything up until now stopping a team from scheduling four cupcakes if they wanted to.
    Not all who wander are lost

  6. #5
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,671

    Re: ACC considering non-conference games against...

    Lame, just go to 9 games like every conference should be doing.
    Go Gators!

  7. #6
    15 game winner Danny Serafini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sultanes de Monterrey
    Posts
    4,183

    Re: ACC considering non-conference games against...

    I don't like 9 game conference schedules. It's not right for some teams to have 5 home games and some only 4.

  8. #7
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,423

    Re: ACC considering non-conference games against...

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I don't think they expect it to happen all that much, it's just an out for situations where teams might want to play a rivalry game every year but are not permanent opponents, or they can't work out a game against a team from one of the other conferences. If restricted to Big 5 + ND + (maybe) BYU, that's something like 66 teams, 52 after subtracting ACC schools, and then you filter out teams that already have respectable non-conference games scheduled (which is at least half of them I'd think), then filter by open dates and by home/road balance and by the fact that just because Illinois is available to play on the road on Sept. 13, you can't make them do it if they don't want to... scheduling is not as easy as it sounds.
    With the SEC stepping up and telling its members they need to play other power conference teams, other conferences have to follow suit. But Bob Bowlsby of the Big 12 said his conference isn't going to help out the SEC. Since there are playoffs now if you are a 1 loss team and your SOS isn't up to snuff, you may find yourself excluded from a 4 team playoff.

    No, they'll have scrimmages and charge full price to attend. Just like they always have. At least it's a slight improvement to the status quo, since being compelled to schedule at least one respectable OOC opponent is a new thing. There hasn't been anything up until now stopping a team from scheduling four cupcakes if they wanted to.
    I don't think they could get away with charging full price. Maybe $5. If it were scrimmages, you wouldn't have the ticket revenue that comes from a proper game but you also wouldn't have the expense of a several hundred thousand dollar guarantee you have to pay an FCS team or a lesser FBS team. It's a controlled environment so injuries won't be that big of a worry.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  9. #8
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,854

    Re: ACC considering non-conference games against...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't think they could get away with charging full price. Maybe $5. If it were scrimmages, you wouldn't have the ticket revenue that comes from a proper game but you also wouldn't have the expense of a several hundred thousand dollar guarantee you have to pay an FCS team or a lesser FBS team. It's a controlled environment so injuries won't be that big of a worry.
    My fault, I misread your post. I thought you were using scrimmages as a euphemism for scheduling cupcakes, as opposed to actual scrimmages. But the money is the reason that won't happen -- at larger schools, a lost home game is a seven-figure hit, not to mention that more games = more leverage for getting booster contributions and the like.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 05-14-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    Not all who wander are lost

  10. #9
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,048

    Re: ACC considering non-conference games against...

    Anything to avoid associating with the unwashed masses.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  11. Likes:

    Slyder (05-22-2014)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25