Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Astros get 0.00 television rating...

Astros get 0.00 television rating...

What if they held a baseball game and nobody watched? It just happened. On Houston televisions anyway.

http://mlb.si.com/2014/04/09/houston...vision-rating/

I can't believe Bud Selig is allowing this travesty to go on. Some folks might disagree but I have yet to meet an Astros fan that was cool with what is going down. Throwing away seasons, IMO, is a disgrace.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros get 0.00 television rating...

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    What if they held a baseball game and nobody watched? It just happened. On Houston televisions anyway.

I can't believe Bud Selig is allowing this travesty to go on. Some folks might disagree but I have yet to meet an Astros fan that was cool with what is going down. Throwing away seasons, IMO, is a disgrace.
    At least the Astros have a plan. Short term it might not be profitable, but they could be the Marlins.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

Marlins are a much bigger zit on the face of the MLB than the Astros. At least the Astros can point to a plan, they had to rebuild after years of poor drafting. Marlins are just ass clowns stuffing their pockets with as much money as they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

The Marlins have Jose Fernandez. Advantage Marlins.

Didn't this happen to them last year too?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    They also hired a big name manager, signed some big name players, and then after one season dumped the manager and traded the players they signed, completely alienating what little fans they had left.

What the Astros are doing takes guts, but at least there is a vision. They are in a division where they could compete a lot quicker than the NL Central when that talent starts to arrive and gel.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    They also have Stanton. The Astros have Altuve and Fowler. Marlins trump them in exciting players. When you lose over 100 games a few seasons in a row there will be no interest. It's going to take a long tome to build that fanbase back up. I can't see it happening anytime soon either.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    They also hired a big name manager, signed some big name players, and then after one season dumped the manager and traded the players they signed, completely alienating what little fans they had left.

What the Astros are doing takes guts, but at least there is a vision. They are in a division where they could compete a lot quicker than the NL Central when that talent starts to arrive and gel.
    The Astros have lost 100+ games for three seasons in a row. The Astros were touting 2014 as the season they "may" not lose 100 games. They have played 3 years with one average MLB player on their roster all along collecting massive paychecks from MLB. Its even more egregious when you consider Houston is the 3rd or 4th largest market in America. Its an embarrassment and black eye for baseball.

Baseball should never have allowed Loria to get another team. But the Marlins have won 2 WS during his tenure and have had a stable full of stars come through their organization. What he did with the new stadium was criminal, but it appears as if they have another exciting team brewing down there. You replace Loria and Miami may be a dominant player very soon. Houston, well they may not lose 100 games in 2020.

10. Likes:

M2 (04-10-2014)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Baseball should never have allowed Loria to get another team. But the Marlins have won 2 WS during his tenure and have had a stable full of stars come through their organization. What he did with the new stadium was criminal, but it appears as if they have another exciting team brewing down there. You replace Loria and Miami may be a dominant player very soon. Houston, well they may not lose 100 games in 2020.
    Huizenga was the owner for the first World Series win.

Anyway, the "Marlins model" is primarily based on luck -- make the playoffs twice as a wild card and end up winning the World Series both times? Good luck replicating that -- and regularly honking off their fans. Rebuilding is one thing, not giving a rip about your major-league product is another thing entirely. It takes true, um, talent to create a situation where you could win another World Series and hardly anyone will care that you did.

Houston's upcoming challenge is not just winning, it's also convincing fans that intentionally being the worst team in baseball for a half-decade at a time won't be a recurring rebuilding strategy. And frankly, most MLB teams don't want them to wildly succeed with this strategy. If multiple teams try this, the overall product suffers. It's almost enough to make a guy wish for promotion and relegation. If a team wants to take itself off the grid for years at a time to rebuild, it would be nice if that spot could be given to a team that would actually try in the meantime, but of course that's not how our system works.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Is it so bad that George and Barbara Bush don't even follow them anymore?

0.00 sounds high for an Astros audience. FWIW, I don't think they have a plan beyond spend very little money, suck really bad and maybe someday they'll have some competent players. Hopefully the reward they get for that kind of cynicism is ex-fans who never ever return.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I actually like the Astros chances. Luhnow's the GM there and he was the one responsible for bringing in all that young talent in StL. If they start winning there, the fans will come. Ownership has spent big in the past. They aren't spending much now but why have a huge payroll if you are going to lose 90-100 games anyway? Everyone talks about Theo and Jed in CHI but I'll bet HOU turns things around before the Cubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-10-2014),Tom Servo (04-10-2014)

Five Year plans are for losers

Bill Veeck

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The Astros have lost 100+ games for three seasons in a row. The Astros were touting 2014 as the season they "may" not lose 100 games. They have played 3 years with one average MLB player on their roster all along collecting massive paychecks from MLB. Its even more egregious when you consider Houston is the 3rd or 4th largest market in America. Its an embarrassment and black eye for baseball.

Houston will be good way before 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Houston will be good way before 2020.
    I've heard that, maybe they will have some fans still

Turn Off Ads?