Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Astros get 0.00 television rating...

Re: Astros get 0.00 television rating...

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I actually like the Astros chances. Luhnow's the GM there and he was the one responsible for bringing in all that young talent in StL. If they start winning there, the fans will come. Ownership has spent big in the past. They aren't spending much now but why have a huge payroll if you are going to lose 90-100 games anyway? Everyone talks about Theo and Jed in CHI but I'll bet HOU turns things around before the Cubs.
    They've been historically bad during the past three seasons. They are headed into expansion Mets territory in terms of long-term haplessness. This is year six of their slide and they might not have hit bottom yet (because their pitching is a dog's breakfast). The notion that this team is going to do anything positive in the near-term future strikes me as wishful thinking. Looks like a franchise with a slog ahead of it to me.

As for why spend, so you aren't a 106+ loss team. This franchise is cratering. If I were a Houston fan it would take a minimum of a new owner to get me to see that team. Seriously, my summer sports spend in that city would be directed 100% to the Dynamo (which gets better attendance and local TV ratings).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

westofyou (04-10-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They've been historically bad during the past three seasons. They are headed into expansion Mets territory in terms of long-term haplessness. This is year six of their slide and they might not have hit bottom yet (because their pitching is a dog's breakfast). The notion that this team is going to do anything positive in the near-term future strikes me as wishful thinking. Looks like a franchise with a slog ahead of it to me.

As for why spend, so you aren't a 106+ loss team. This franchise is cratering. If I were a Houston fan it would take a minimum of a new owner to get me to see that team. Seriously, my summer sports spend in that city would be directed 100% to the Dynamo (which gets better attendance and local TV ratings).
    I wonder how many fans the Astros lost just by switching leagues. I suspect a fair amount of long-time Astros fans may have been turned off by Selig engineering the league switch to get league approval for purchase of the team. Some people have very strong views against the AL and the DH. I have family members who would probably give up baseball rather than see the Reds in the AL using the DH. I've never heard anyone say they would stop watching baseball if they got rid of the DH.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Houston will be good way before 2020.
    Will they?

They have very little major league talent on their everyday roster. They have very little major league talent in their starting rotation. Apparently they have a nice farm system, but we don't know how they pan out. At one point Homer Bailey was the best pitching prospect in baseball and it took him 5 years to become a solid reliable starter. Jay Bruce was the #1 prospect in baseball, he has been an All-Star but hardly one of the top players in baseball. It takes good drafting and a large portion of luck to build from within. Right now they have Fowler and Altuve, you could take both Bailey and Bruce circa 2008 and they still would be a 100 loss club.

I honestly dont get it. The astros suck. We know this. But this is America. People love watching horrible TV shows. Especially horrible reality TV shows

Rewarding teams like the Astros that are intentionally putting an inferior product on the field with high draft picks does not make sense. If we're not going to have a salary floor on the major league level, there should be at least a salary floor to be able to pick in the top 10.

8. Likes:

The Operator (04-13-2014)

It might suck for the fans but would them aiming for 82-80 really be that much better? if you don't have a chance at a championship why not build for one?
    Go Gators!

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-11-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The Astros have one of the best farm systems in baseball. They have money to spend. They are going to be pretty good pretty soon.

12. Likes:

Chip R (04-12-2014),gilpdawg (04-11-2014),Revering4Blue (04-12-2014),Tom Servo (04-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    It might suck for the fans but would them aiming for 82-80 really be that much better? if you don't have a chance at a championship why not build for one?
    I really don't want what is basically the NBA mentality to come into MLB. I don't think having a third of your teams tanking their seasons in order to get a higher draft pick is good for the sport, which is what will happen if MLB doesn't do something to dissuade teams from doing it.

14. Likes:

M2 (04-11-2014),texasdave (04-11-2014)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The two things are not mutually exclusive. The Astros aren't spending tens of millions more on their farm system than other teams are. They could put a better product on the field, one that might make dads feel like it's worth the trouble to take their kids to see a game, without damaging anything they're doing with the farm system. Or, more to the point of the original article, a modicum of competitiveness might garner enough TV eyeballs to keep their cable partner from going bankrupt and leaving themselves in a lurch with respect to future local media revenue.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

16. Likes:

M2 (04-11-2014),Wonderful Monds (04-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Or, more to the point of the original article, a modicum of competitiveness might garner enough TV eyeballs to keep their cable partner from going bankrupt and leaving themselves in a lurch with respect to future local media revenue.
    Excellent point. To build on that, while other franchises are breaking the bank with new local TV contracts why would anyone pay a nickel to broadcast the Astros? Literally, no one's watching. That could shorten the team's window with homegrown players from six to four years, after which quality arb-eligible players will be too costly to keep.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Excellent point. To build on that, while other franchises are breaking the bank with new local TV contracts why would anyone pay a nickel to broadcast the Astros? Literally, no one's watching. That could shorten the team's window with homegrown players from six to four years, after which quality arb-eligible players will be too costly to keep.
    That certainly could come into play. But they will still get a big chunk of money from the national tv deal and MLBAM.

I'm curious, if CSN Houston goes under, what do the Astros (and MLB) do?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I really don't want what is basically the NBA mentality to come into MLB. I don't think having a third of your teams tanking their seasons in order to get a higher draft pick is good for the sport, which is what will happen if MLB doesn't do something to dissuade teams from doing it.
    Basketball and baseball are so vastly different that it will never quite work that way. In the NBA, one player can make you relevant and two can make you a title contender, so tanking to get one of those players is a viable option. In baseball, no one player (or even two) can have that impact. So, there is less incentive to go after those top picks.

Teams instead go into "rebuilding mode" and attempt to stock up as many prospects in their system and hope that enough of them become good major leaguers that they can contend. If it works, you can do some winning (like the Reds with Cueto/Votto/Bruce). If it doesn't, sell them and try again.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Revisiting. So would you rather be a Marlins fan or an Astros fan? The Marlins have, thus far, been the best team in baseball when playing at home.

And when Fernandez pitches, their fans are coming out in droves. It's like Dontrelle Willis 2003 all over again (except that Fernandez is likely going to be a stud for 15 years).
    Last edited by Boston Red; 05-06-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Revisiting. So would you rather be a Marlins fan or an Astros fan? The Marlins have, thus far, been the best team in baseball when playing at home.
    I'd say Astros cause you probably figure Loria is going to trade off some of those guys once they get expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Still early, but....still the 11-24 Stros over the first place Marlins? Who have the NL's second best run differential? Can't see it.

Turn Off Ads?