Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto hitting 2nd today

Votto hitting 2nd today

Joey Votto is hitting in the second slot in manager Bryan Price's lineup for Saturday's game against the Cardinals.
    It's the first time that Votto's hit second since the 2008 season. With his focus set on getting on base, as opposed to driving in runs, it actually makes sense to hit him higher in the lineup. Brandon Phillips will hit in the third slot, with Todd Frazier hitting fifth. Apr 12 - 8:58 AM
    Source: MLBlogs.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto hitting 2nd today

I was just going to post this. I think this will be great. His phenomenal OBP will get him on to be driven in=more runs scored for the team!

Quote Originally Posted by 90SeasonDreamin View Post
    I was just going to post this. I think this will be great. His phenomenal OBP will get him on to be driven in=more runs scored for the team!
    I hope so. Something has to be done to shake up this lineup, because it's obviously not working the way it's been so far.

I approve of the move and thought this should've been done a couple of games ago. Of course, Votto also seems to take way too many pitches IMO. First inning today sees him let two hittable pitches go by and then he swings at one in the dirt to strike out.

Sort of amazing how Votto got a nice extra bases hit (assisted by the wind) when he just went up there hacking!

almost through 6 and same ole' same ole'
    Bowled 9 300 games, semi-retired!

Nothing like bowling a 300 game

I think part of the strategy is if BHam gets on, Votto sees nearly 100% fastballs

With Hamilton batting .147, Cozart .065, Bruce .158, then with Votto, Frazier, Ludwick all at .250; we are lucky to have scored the runs we have !!!

Quote Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
    With Hamilton batting .147, Cozart .065, Bruce .158, then with Votto, Frazier, Ludwick all at .250; we are lucky to have scored the runs we have !!!
    Look on the bright side, the pitching has been stellar. The strokes will come soon.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
    People always loved to blame Brook Jacoby or Dusty for this team's horrific approach at the plate, which I always thought was ridiculous.

It's not the coaches. We just need better players.

Every one of the players Scotly named will hit better. I agree the offense needs adjustments, maybe a deal to bring another solid hitter (using pitching) but these guys are not going to continue to hit from .065 to .250 either. As Tracy notes, this start is showing that it was not Jacoby or Dusty. I like every single Reds hitter as an individual player, either for bat or defense but they have a lineup of pretty similar hitters (except for Votto). Low OBP medium power types with Bruce being the only one with enough power to override OBP concerns.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Every one of the players Scotly named will hit better. I agree the offense needs adjustments, maybe a deal to bring another solid hitter (using pitching) but these guys are not going to continue to hit from .065 to .250 either. As Tracy notes, this start is showing that it was not Jacoby or Dusty. I like every single Reds hitter as an individual player, either for bat or defense but they have a lineup of pretty similar hitters (except for Votto). Low OBP medium power types with Bruce being the only one with enough power to override OBP concerns.
    Agreed. They have to get better. That's the only way for them to go at this point.

I would just like to see a better approach from some of these guys, specifically Cozart and Frazier. Those 2 get themselves out far too often.

I think Mez is going to play a big part in this offense.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Turn Off Ads?