Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Good Cause" to quit job?

"Good Cause" to quit job?

I need some advice, particularly from someone who may be familiar with employment law.

I will try to keep this short and brief.

3 Sundays ago, while managing a liquor store I work at, a former employee came in for beer. He had been hanging out shooting the breeze for awhile with us.. When he was getting ready to leave there ended up being a dispute over whether he had paid for the beer or not(he did not). This dispute, unfortunately, turned physical. With threats of violence made against me and my family by this person. No police were involved.

Fast forward to today, after I am led to believe this issue is done and over, he shows up today inebriated. Starts verbally assaulting me again, making additional threats against me and once again my family.

My employer said this person had been talked to, and thought things were resolved. I told my employer today that I don't know how much more of this I can take before I quit.

My question is, if I were to quit for this reason, is it "good cause" and could I file for unemployment until I found a new job?

I've worked here for almost 6 years, so I'm not trying to be a lazy bum.. But I have a wife, 2 kids now, one born a few weeks ago.. So I'm really just starting to be more cognizant of my safety and future of my family. I'm currently the only source of income because my wife was laid off shortly before we knew she was pregnant and has yet to regain employment anywhere(and her unemployment has since expired). Hence the importance of having some income right now.

So, there you have the quick and dirty... Hope some folks here can give me some advice. I'm not feeling to safe around my workplace lately.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "Good Cause" to quit job?

what state are you in?

and I would also be sending out resumes at this point regardless of the other issues.
    Last edited by Ravenlord; 04-14-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added thoughts
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Hate to hear this. I'm a novice at things like this, but would it be possible to ban him from the premises and call the police if he trespasses? For some people (your run of the mill loudmouths) that would work, though with others it could certainly escalate matters.

I'd think it a good idea to start getting some of this on record. Is there video?
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Rojo's right. in cases like this, police records and paper trails are your greatest assets.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I deal with security in my place of work. Generally, a customer who is threatening should be considered at face value- a threat to the safety and well being of the employee. From my perspective, managing the building, it's my responsibility to do whatever I can (representing the business) within reason to provide a safe environment for my employees. Of course, if some drunk rushes in and punches an employee, there's not much we can do to prevent that. However, if they do it a week later, we certainly have failed. The attorneys among us can weigh in on the legal issues here- that is, whether a company is liable if the guy returns and attacks you while at work.

Where I work the guy would be banned and he would be notified by the police that further entry in the building will result in arrest for trespass.

We also make it clear to our employees that if they feel threatened at work, there is nothing preventing them from calling the police. A threat to their physical safety is not a company matter at that point, but rather a police matter. Call the police, get them involved.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

You can drink in a liquor store?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I'm in Colorado. I've already been looking for new work for a few months now.

This situation is complicated because this person is a former employee and(now former) friend. There is video evidence of the physical altercation from 2 weeks ago - just pushing and shoving.. No punches thrown.

You cannot drink in a liquor store. He was drinking before he came in.

The fact that he is a former employee and friend makes things complicated. He still helps out at the store from time to time - for instance, when my daughter who about 3 weeks old was born.

If I honestly thought involving police wouldn't already escalate matters, I would have called them long ago. I'm just in a hard spot as far as how to get this resolved.

At this point I'm giving serious consideration to just quitting, even if I do not qualify for unemployment, but that's certainly not a decision I want to rush into, hence I'm hoping to get some additional advice.

Can't seem to find out if this would qualify under general "Good Cause" eligibility.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Assume that you're going to find another job so soon that you don't have to worry about unemployment benefits, and then go get the new job. Don't look back.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    I'm in Colorado. I've already been looking for new work for a few months now.

This situation is complicated because this person is a former employee and(now former) friend. There is video evidence of the physical altercation from 2 weeks ago - just pushing and shoving.. No punches thrown.

You cannot drink in a liquor store. He was drinking before he came in.

The fact that he is a former employee and friend makes things complicated. He still helps out at the store from time to time - for instance, when my daughter who about 3 weeks old was born.

If I honestly thought involving police wouldn't already escalate matters, I would have called them long ago. I'm just in a hard spot as far as how to get this resolved.

At this point I'm giving serious consideration to just quitting, even if I do not qualify for unemployment, but that's certainly not a decision I want to rush into, hence I'm hoping to get some additional advice.

Can't seem to find out if this would qualify under general "Good Cause" eligibility.
    I don't know about Colorado but my dad used to own a business and he would tell me that you had to majorly foul up to be denied unemployment. Of course that was many years ago and the people in question were fired rather than quit. I would think that if the store can't guarantee your safety you shouldn't be denied unemployment if you quit. But if you do quit, file for unemployment but also try to get some job even if it's temporary. When I've gone on unemployment it has always messed me up come this time of year (tax time).

You live in Colorado and you have experience managing a liquor store so maybe you could manage a weed store.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Colorado? Get a job at one of the new weed clinics. Pot heads are much more mellow and less angry than drunks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

13. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-22-2014), joshua (04-15-2014), Kingspoint (04-15-2014), KittyDuran (04-15-2014), RedFanAlways1966 (04-15-2014)

Yeah, I wouldn't just sit around and collect unemployment... I've been looking for a new job for a couple months now. I am just curious as to i could use the insurance that it provides due to a new mouth in the family to feed and my wife not being able to start work for another 3 weeks or so.

-Hunter S. Thompson

It seems to be a lot easier to find a new job while employed. Looking for a job while unemployed is miserable. And, it can be depressing. I'm not in your shoes, but I'd try to hang on until you find a better position somewhere.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    It seems to be a lot easier to find a new job while employed. Looking for a job while unemployed is miserable. And, it can be depressing. I'm not in your shoes, but I'd try to hang on until you find a better position somewhere.
    Some recent studies show that human resource personnel discriminate against people applying for a job who don't have a job. Someone with zero experience and working will get hired over someone with loads of experience who isn't currently employed. What's great about that is that you don't have to let them contact your current employer (for the obvious reasons that one's current employer doesn't need to know that you're looking....and they can fire you later if you lied about being employed when/if they do follow-up investigations, and then you don't get unemployment benefits).

Well, I walked out on my job today.

I didn't say I quit, but things got heated between me and my boss. He refuses to get involved in the slightest with the situation. I feel he should be backing me 100 percent and helping me resolve this issue one way or another. So, it's come to a fundamental disagreement on the problem and how it gets fixed.

So I walked out.

Never done that before in my life. Luckily, I have the support of my wife. She backs me 100 percent. And that's all I can really ask for. The safety of me and my family is the most important thing, bottom line.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?