Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dog Fight That is the NL Central Division

The Dog Fight That is the NL Central Division

It was tough enough before Pittsburg jumped into the fray, but the forgotten Brewers have now rejoined! This is insane. Four potential 90 win teams in the same bracket. Where are the wins going to come from?

The long ignored NL Central is reluctantly being recognized by the talking heads. But we are still not getting our due in TV game coverage. Note: all four Yanks/Sawx games were televised nationally last weekend, more than the NL Central combined. Does this not mean that we are shorted on TV revenue? How does that work?

But I digress. In pure baseball terms this promises to be a very unusual, intriguing season. Since 3 teams is the most the Central can send to the playoffs, who will be the odd man out?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Dog Fight That is the NL Central Division

Rockies were 10-4 on this date last season. It's just two weeks so I would give the Brewers a little time before saying they make the division even tougher than last.

4. Likes:

Trajinous (04-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Rockies were 10-4 on this date last season. It's just two weeks so I would give the Brewers a little time before saying they make the division even tougher than last.
    TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    It was tough enough before Pittsburg jumped into the fray, but the forgotten Brewers have now rejoined! This is insane. Four potential 90 win teams in the same bracket. Where are the wins going to come from?

The long ignored NL Central is reluctantly being recognized by the talking heads. But we are still not getting our due in TV game coverage. Note: all four Yanks/Sawx games were televised nationally last weekend, more than the NL Central combined. Does this not mean that we are shorted on TV revenue? How does that work?

But I digress. In pure baseball terms this promises to be a very unusual, intriguing season. Since 3 teams is the most the Central can send to the playoffs, who will be the odd man out?
    Unfortunately, I think we are left out unless we add another bat somewhere. This offense isn't good enough to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Unfortunately, I think we are left out unless we add another bat somewhere. This offense isn't good enough to cut it.
    Well, let's just wait and see.

We've seen upticks for C, 3B, 2B, and LF so far.

Billy or Zack need to improve - we can afford one black hole, not two.

8. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (04-17-2014)

If you can give up on the season because the offense didn't hit in a few games, I can be gung ho because a lot of guys have been hitting in the last few games. Seriously - it all evens out. Votto and Bruce will be Votto and Bruce. Mes could very seriously break out. Phillips is going good. Ludwick has been clipping and Frazier has his moments. Cozart will be weak. Hamilton is the wild card. Heisey and Bernadina are a good OF backup tandem. Roger adds another speed guy beside Billy. This isn't going to be a mammoth offense but it won't be a 1-2 run disaster either.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-17-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (04-17-2014)

Sucks to be the Cubs.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

Gapper (04-17-2014)

They call me "chef"

But the Cubs stole Sappelt and Wood from us! And we're stuck with Nick Massett 2!

(See. We can still inflate the lowly Cubs if it means it will put our team down.)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

For all the noise about the Reds lack of hitting this year, and the inability of said hitting leading to the Reds being unable to compete this year in the Central. you won't find another team in the Central with a better OBA, SL% or OPS than the Reds. And only the Brewers have a better ERA.

The demise of the Reds has been greatly exaggerated.

There is a reason why everyone says baseball is a marathon, not a sprint.

I'm guessing it has something to do with it being true.

15. Likes:

M2 (04-17-2014),Old school 1983 (04-17-2014),RadfordVA (04-18-2014),Red Raindog (04-17-2014),RedlegJake (04-17-2014),REDREAD (04-17-2014),redsmetz (04-17-2014),Trajinous (04-17-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (04-17-2014)

Lot of one run losses. That can turn around.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-17-2014)

Yanks/Sox, large TV audience and interest nationwide (not from me). Reds/Pirates, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    .... Note: all four Yanks/Sawx games were televised nationally last weekend, more than the NL Central combined. D...
    This is a major, major peeve of mine. Why is every Yankees / Red Sox game treated like some sacred religious event? The world has to stop turning so we can all watch the Yankees play the Red Sox !!! Oh my god!! Does it get any more exciting than the Yankees / Red Sox? !! I can hardly breathe!!!

Now somebody hand me a barf bag.

20. Likes:

NCCardfan (04-17-2014),RedlegJake (04-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    This is a major, major peeve of mine. Why is every Yankees / Red Sox game treated like some sacred religious event? The world has to stop turning so we can all watch the Yankees play the Red Sox !!! Oh my god!! Does it get any more exciting than the Yankees / Red Sox? !! I can hardly breathe!!!

Another pet peeve of mine is lifetime local residents who root for the Yankees or Red Sox rather than the Royals (here in the KC area). Same idea applies anywhere, though. Unless you hail from NY or Boston, why the heck do you root for them? Because you might be a front running, band wagon jumping, fair weather sort of person....

I grew up in the Cincinnati area and will always be Reds fan first no matter what. And I've been living here for going on thirty years so I will always support the Royals as my AL team, win or lose. Being a fan isn't finding a winning team to root for - it's sticking with your team no matter what.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 04-17-2014 at 10:30 AM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-17-2014),Bob Borkowski (04-17-2014),Boss-Hog (04-17-2014),Mike Honcho (04-18-2014),OC_Red (04-17-2014),Old school 1983 (04-17-2014)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    For all the noise about the Reds lack of hitting this year, and the inability of said hitting leading to the Reds being unable to compete this year in the Central. you won't find another team in the Central with a better OBA, SL% or OPS than the Reds. And only the Brewers have a better ERA.

The demise of the Reds has been greatly exaggerated.

There is a reason why everyone says baseball is a marathon, not a sprint.

I'm guessing it has something to do with it being true.
    Here's a weird one, by third order wins, Reds are 3rd best in the NL, behind only Washington and Milwaukee.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post

Those games are usually pretty fun to watch, though.

Turn Off Ads?