Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is JJ Hardy a good ceiling comp for Zack Cozart?

Re: Is JJ Hardy a good ceiling comp for Zack Cozart?

I feel about Cozart the same way I felt about Stubbs and Patterson - I would be cool with never seeing them bat again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's a good comp for Cozart: Chris Gomez
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Here's a good comp for Cozart: Chris Gomez
    Gomez' OBP skills were much better than Cozart's.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Gomez had a career .325 OBP. I'd be elated if Cozart could approach that.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Gomez had a career .325 OBP. I'd be elated if Cozart could approach that.
    I agree, the fact Gomez was much better at getting on base than our shortstop just made me vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    He's less valuable than Hardy, and I happen to think Hardy is vastly overrated. Cozart is heading for a third straight year with a sub .290 on base percentage. Great-glove, no-bat middle infielders are obtainable for next to nothing every offseason. Unless the Reds believe Cozart will blossom into a better hitter (I'm skeptical), then he's been a colossal waste of our time.
    I agree that it's unlikely that he will turn into a consistent 300+ OBP hitter, but I'd hardly call him a waste of time.
    The great glove, no hit middle infielders that are readily available.. those are the guys the Reds have used as backup infielders.. They are horrible offensively, even compared to Zach.
    Zach has filled the SS position adequately (not a star, but adequately) while he's been here for very little money. He's been a farm system success. I don't want the Reds to pay him 10 million/year, but he's a useful player, better than a dumpster dive SS.

Not trying to be a jerk, but here's the list of SS that signed in the offseason last year.
    I don't see any that are comparable/better to Zach that wouldn't break the budget.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/freeagents/_/position/ss
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

9. Likes:

RadfordVA (04-16-2014)

Maybe if he simplified his approach and sacrificed power he could up his OBP. His glove work is so solid.

JJ Hardy has been very injury-prone so I bet the overall numbers aren't far off from each other.

Over/Under: 3 months

Cozart will not be in a Reds uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Hardy had 26 HR during his age 24 season, Cozart has 29 for his career.
    Cozart homers 2.2% of at bats and Hardy homers 3.4% of at bats for careers. Power not that great of a difference. Full season that would equal out to about 5 hr difference. XBH% 8.2 to 7.8.

Cozart's problem to me is he a free swinger who does not put the barrel on the ball enough to make hard contact. Too many easy outs. Just a .280 BABIP for a guy who has decent speed and doesn't walk is a bad recipe.
    Last edited by RadfordVA; 04-16-2014 at 10:48 AM.

If Cozart had a career season it would look something like Hardy's career averages - .260/.312/..427. Cozart's good with the glove, but Hardy's better (immaculate set of hands and he's deserved the GGs he won). Of course, the worry with Cozart isn't that he's never going to get to that Hardy ceiling, it's that he's going to fall apart at the plate. He's having a terrible start to the season and his plate approach is so poor in general that it's a legitimate concern he might not be able to get himself right. It's entirely possible the Reds will have to endure Cozart this season, keeping him buried in the #8 spot and trying to pretend his glove makes up for all those outs. I won't be surprised if upgrading at SS becomes priority #1 as we get into the summer.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

15. Likes:

HokieRed (04-16-2014)

Ceiling comp. Not that that thrills me in the least, but at least it's there.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Both are slick fielding, low OBP guys with a good amount of pop. Cozart has the better glove where Hardy has more pop. Neither is likely to OBP much over .310. Their minor league numbers look similar, granted Hardy cracked the bigs at a younger age.

Is JJ Hardy who we should be hoping Zack Cozart becomes? If he doesn't make big strides toward that in 2014, should we look to sign Hardy this offseason?
    Zack Cozart has a "good amount of pop"? Really? Please explain more because I don't know any non Reds fan who follows baseball who would describe him that way.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Zack Cozart has a "good amount of pop"? Really? Please explain more because I don't know any non Reds fan who follows baseball who would describe him that way.
    I think he means good amount of pop for a SS (t-9th for SS HR in 2013, t-7th in 2012).
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?