Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is JJ Hardy a good ceiling comp for Zack Cozart?

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Is JJ Hardy a good ceiling comp for Zack Cozart?

Quote Originally Posted by dwyerbrg View Post
    Except the Reds are paying him next to nothing. So that, to me, doesn't qualify as a colossal waste of time.
    Waste of time in the sense that franchises only get so many windows of time when they have a combination of elite pitching, Joey Votto, Shin Soo Choo, etc.

You're right that he's not a waste of money. Just a waste of a roster spot for an organization purporting to be a contender for a world championship.

I see the argument that other franchises blow a lot of money on shortstops; ergo, we should be pleased as punch with Cozart making the league minimum and burping up a sub .290 obp. I'm not pleased.

Jose Iglesias fields his position and gets on base. His 2013 salary was $2 million. The Tigers got him for Avisail Garcia and Brayan Villareal. Not much.

Nick Franklin is probably available from Seattle now.

Grant Green was available in 2013 for Alberto Callaspo.

Jake Elmore has been on the waiver wire.

Maybe you don't like these guys, but trust me, there are guys out there that you like better than Cozart who wouldn't cost us an arm-and-a-leg.

The only way I figure Cozart makes sense is if the Reds believe he's going to become something eventually. I don't see it; but I didn't see Homer Bailey amounting to anything either. If they just have him because he's cheap, then that's a good enough reason.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

2. Likes:

Benihana (04-19-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Waste of time in the sense that franchises only get so many windows of time when they have a combination of elite pitching, Joey Votto, Shin Soo Choo, etc.

You're right that he's not a waste of money. Just a waste of a roster spot for an organization purporting to be a contender for a world championship.

I see the argument that other franchises blow a lot of money on shortstops; ergo, we should be pleased as punch with Cozart making the league minimum and burping up a sub .290 obp. I'm not pleased.

Jose Iglesias fields his position and gets on base. His 2013 salary was $2 million. The Tigers got him for Avisail Garcia and Brayan Villareal. Not much.

Nick Franklin is probably available from Seattle now.

Grant Green was available in 2013 for Alberto Callaspo.

Jake Elmore has been on the waiver wire.

Maybe you don't like these guys, but trust me, there are guys out there that you like better than Cozart who wouldn't cost us an arm-and-a-leg.

The only way I figure Cozart makes sense is if the Reds believe he's going to become something eventually. I don't see it; but I didn't see Homer Bailey amounting to anything either. If they just have him because he's cheap, then that's a good enough reason.
    I've been thinking Elmore would be an upgrade over Cozart. Elmore actually got on base at a really good clip when in the minors. Not all BA driven, either.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

5. Likes:

cincinnati chili (04-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If Cozart had a career season it would look something like Hardy's career averages - .260/.312/..427. Cozart's good with the glove, but Hardy's better (immaculate set of hands and he's deserved the GGs he won). Of course, the worry with Cozart isn't that he's never going to get to that Hardy ceiling, it's that he's going to fall apart at the plate. He's having a terrible start to the season and his plate approach is so poor in general that it's a legitimate concern he might not be able to get himself right. It's entirely possible the Reds will have to endure Cozart this season, keeping him buried in the #8 spot and trying to pretend his glove makes up for all those outs. I won't be surprised if upgrading at SS becomes priority #1 as we get into the summer.

I don't disagree that upgrading SS should be one of the top priorities, along with upgrading the OF.

If they do it in season, trading for Nick Franklin or signing Strphen Drew immediately after the draft would be the two best options. If they wait until the offseason, Hardy could likely be an interesting option on a 2 or 3 year deal. I wonder what Franklin would cost in a trade, or what Drew will cost if he's still available in June- certainly there will be strong competition for his services at that point.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I don't disagree that upgrading SS should be one of the top priorities, along with upgrading the OF.

If they do it in season, trading for Nick Franklin or signing Strphen Drew immediately after the draft would be the two best options. If they wait until the offseason, Hardy could likely be an interesting option on a 2 or 3 year deal. I wonder what Franklin would cost in a trade, or what Drew will cost if he's still available in June- certainly there will be strong competition for his services at that point.
    Franklin isn't a shortstop.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Franklin isn't a shortstop.
    I just saw he has a career .943 fielding percentage as a shortstop in the minors. Had no idea he struggled so much. http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=frankl001nic
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

I still think it would hard to upgrade Cozart and I don't think Drew or Franklin do it. Even with his lousy start Zack is on pace for 32 doubles and 73 rbi's. He is hitting 8th and his glove is solid.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Turn Off Ads?