Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade Watch: David Price

Trade Watch: David Price

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...vid-price.html

According to that article, the Rays are setting up their garage sale with some high ticket items, the obvious being David Price. There was another article posted today on fangraphs speaking about the sense behind a Price-to-Cardinals trade in exchange for Taveras. The Cardinals have been putting players on the DL as often as I drink bottles of wine. Acquiring Price for 1.5 years would not block any major prospects for the long-term but it would provide them a formidable 1-2 punch for the second half of the season + postseason. Being a Reds fan, the thought of the Cardinals acquiring Price makes me queasy.

That said, the price for Price will not be cheap and would likely start with Taveras. Not many other clubs can match that caliber of player to give the Rays in return. The Fangraphs article also mentioned that a Price and Zobrist deal for Taveras + makes more sense so the Cardinals can distance themselves from a potential Kozma V.2.

While we dont know for sure if the Cardinals will acquire Price (or others), the writing is on the wall that Price's time in Tampa is limited and the Cardinals certainly have a place to put him.

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I woke up this morning after having a dream that the Reds re-signed Bailey to a 5-yr $100MM deal. I hope I'm wrong.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade Watch: David Price

Man Pills

If the Cards want to give away their best hitting prospect for a starting pitcher, when their problem is hitting, then go ahead.

5. Likes:

membengal (06-25-2014), Tom Servo (06-24-2014)

They call me "chef"

It will probably be David Price + 2015-2017's Allen Craig for Taveras and some dudes who will never become Allen Craig.
    Cincinnati Reds 2014 W-L Record: 76.6-85.4*

Cincinnati Reds 2015 W-L Record: TBA

*UPDATED: 2/11/2014

My guess is Price goes to the Dodgers. Probably for Joc Pederson and somebody else.

Pederson-Jennings-Myers would make a hell of an OF.
    Almost as good as Winker-Hamilton-Bruce
    Go BLUE!!!

I still would love to see the Reds pick up Zobrist. He'd be a perfect fit on the bench for this team.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

Mark me down as someone that would be ecstatic if the Cardinals traded away one of the best hitting prospects in all of baseball for a 1.5 year rental.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Mark me down as someone that would be ecstatic if the Cardinals traded away one of the best hitting prospects in all of baseball for a 1.5 year rental.
    Would you feel the same way if they extended him, as the Cards tend to do when they acquire a big name?

See Matt Holiday, Jim Edmonds and Scott Rolen as key examples.
    Go BLUE!!!

Yup, I would be OK with that. I have a feeling David Price is going to fall apart by 30. He has not been very good this year, and has regressed the last 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Agreed wholeheartedly. If they are willing to do that go at it. I'd rather they have Price. Especially because I see their struggles going forward to be far more in the hitting department than the pitching.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

As I was looking at Price's numbers, I would love to hear a theory on why he is striking folks out at a blistering rate but is more hittable also. He has a K/9 over 10, but it looks like he's being hit hard when contact is made. Theories?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Bryan Price for David Price, straight up. Maybe we could track down Joe Price and include him in the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Would you feel the same way if they extended him, as the Cards tend to do when they acquire a big name?

See Matt Holiday, Jim Edmonds and Scott Rolen as key examples.
    With all of the cheap young pitching in their system, this seems foolhardy. Unless of course they could center a deal around pitching prospects and hang on to Taveras. I doubt that, though.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    As I was looking at Price's numbers, I would love to hear a theory on why he is striking folks out at a blistering rate but is more hittable also. He has a K/9 over 10, but it looks like he's being hit hard when contact is made. Theories?
    He's throwing "too many" strikes. It means more strikeouts and fewer walks, but it also means more hittable pitches. That said, I think his ERA also reflects a bit of bad batted ball luck.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

17. Likes:

ac084c (06-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If the Cards want to give away their best hitting prospect for a starting pitcher, when their problem is hitting, then go ahead.
    Their problem has been hitting, yes. But Garcia and Wacha to the DL with shoulder issues, Miller leaving the game yesterday due to back issues, and Joe Kelly (who was only supposed to miss 1-2 starts) still out with a hamstring injury indicates that they're going to start having starting pitching issues as well.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

Turn Off Ads?