Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Leake, Best of the Bunch?

Mike Leake, Best of the Bunch?

Of the five starters in the Reds rotation (counting Latos and not Simon), Mike Leake could be the best of the bunch before their careers are all said and done. He doesn't have the power arm, but he can pitch and has a huge ticker. Not bad with the bat in his hands either.

2. Likes:

jimbo (04-16-2014),Redeyecat (04-16-2014),REDREAD (04-16-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mike Leake, Best of the Bunch?

Best hitter maybe
    Go BLUE!!!

5. Likes:

DocRed (04-21-2014)

Health will be the ultimate decider.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

7. Likes:

Donder (04-16-2014)

I think he is a lower risk signing than either Latos or Cueto.

9. Likes:

joshua (04-16-2014)

What Mike Leake has going for himself, above all else, is durability. He's extremely athletic and not a max effort guy. He reminds me of Mark Beuhrle. He's more of a Beuhrle-lite, but he's got so much movement and good command such that he could have an awfully long career.

I would not be surprised if when all is said and done, he winds up with more career WAR than any of the other Reds starters.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-16-2014 at 01:50 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

11. Likes:

jimbo (04-16-2014),joshua (04-16-2014),Old school 1983 (04-16-2014),Redeyecat (04-16-2014),REDREAD (04-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    What Mike Leake has going for himself, above all else, is durability. He's extremely athletic and not a max effort guy. He reminds me of is Mark Beuhrle. He's more of a Beuhrle-lite, but he's got so much movement and good command such that he could have an awfully long career.

I would not be surprised if when all is said and done, he winds up with more career WAR than any of the other Reds starters.
    He reminds me of that Brandon Arroyo guy.
    Go BLUE!!!

13. Likes:

KittyDuran (04-15-2014)

As much as I like Mike Leake, if he has a good year, do we potentially use him as trade bait to bring in another bat?

Obviously lots of factors come in to play here, particularly how healthy Mat Latos is going to be. But I think its a fair question.
    The guy has performed well and has no injury issues currently.

(I'm not necessarily advocating this move but I think it's worth a discussion, considering we all know the offense is our weakest point and we have a lot of depth at starting pitching and will be unable to keep everyone longterm)
    Last edited by villain612; 04-15-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

15. Likes:

KittyDuran (04-16-2014)

Of Cueto, Latos, and Leake, I think Leake has the best chance to stay a Red.

He is likely cheaper and more durable than the other two.

17. Likes:

CmdrCody (04-21-2014),joshua (04-16-2014),Old school 1983 (04-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    What Mike Leake has going for himself, above all else, is durability. He's extremely athletic and not a max effort guy. He reminds me of is Mark Beuhrle. He's more of a Beuhrle-lite, but he's got so much movement and good command such that he could have an awfully long career.

That's a great way to put it.

Again, not necessarily saying we should trade Leake but here's one way to look at it:

We're not keeping Cueto, Latos, and Leake. At least one is going to have to go.

To me, if Leake continues to have a strong year, he will have the most trade value since he will not have an injury history like the other two, plus he'd also have more years under team control to offer (correct me if I'm wrong someone). I guess my argument is, if we're gonna lose at least one of our 3 really good pitchers, should we trade the guy with max value to make sure we get something back that addresses a major team concern?

Someone smarter than me throw this around in your brain...

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Of Cueto, Latos, and Leake, I think Leake has the best chance to stay a Red.

He is likely cheaper and more durable than the other two.
    Which begs the question, what would a Leake deal look like? I have no clue.

21. Likes:

Redeyecat (04-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Again, not necessarily saying we should trade Leake but here's one way to look at it:

To me, if Leake continues to have a strong year, he will have the most trade value since he will not have an injury history like the other two, plus he'd also have more years under team control to offer (correct me if I'm wrong someone). I guess my argument is, if we're gonna lose at least one of our 3 really good pitchers, should we trade the guy with max value to make sure we get something back that addresses a major team concern?

Leake will be free agent eligible after next year. Yep, that went fast.

23. Likes:

villain612 (04-15-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Leake will be free agent eligible after next year. Yep, that went fast.
    Haha. Thanks.

I thought it was just Cueto and Latos who were FA after 2015. My bad.

I was about to chime in, but you just eliminated me.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

26. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-16-2014)

Haha. Thanks.

I thought it was just Cueto and Latos who were FA after 2015. My bad.
    Yep. A purge is coming.

Turn Off Ads?