Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Leake, Best of the Bunch?

Re: Mike Leake, Best of the Bunch?

After the Bailey deal, the Reds are looking at trying to keep Cueto, Latos, and Leake. I don't envy Walt and the FO one bit. One of them, or maye two will have to go.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would let Latos go. Elbow problems = no thanks

4. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-16-2014),RadfordVA (04-16-2014),RedlegJake (04-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Which begs the question, what would a Leake deal look like? I have no clue.
    It has already been decided: 2 years $16M total. You clearly weren't paying attention.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-16-2014),KittyDuran (04-16-2014)

Leake is the only one I'd consider giving a long term contract to, for the reasons RMR detailed. But I'm against all long term deals to pitchers during their free agent years.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    At least it's not his shoulder, and his value is super low until he comes back, and pitches with success.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    After the Bailey deal, the Reds are looking at trying to keep Cueto, Latos, and Leake. I don't envy Walt and the FO one bit. One of them, or maye two will have to go.
    They just have to hope Stephenson is ready to start 2015. That way they can negotiate with all of Latos/Cueto/Leake, hope to extend one of them, trade one, and keep the other to see how 2015 plays out.

Sounds simple really.

10. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (04-16-2014),Old school 1983 (04-16-2014)

Pitchers get hurt. Latos' injury isn't even major (yet). Cueto missed almost all of last year. It's very likely Bailey has a major injury before his deal runs out. It happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-16-2014),Tommyjohn25 (04-16-2014),westofyou (04-16-2014)

I may sound like a broken record but I'd absolutely lock Leake up. He offers stability that Cueto/Latos don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Best hitter maybe
    For what it's worth....

http://notanotherbaseballblog.wordpr...seball-2014-2/

A few pitchers can swing the stick a little bit, however. Here is my non-scientific list of the best hitting pitchers currently playing as we start of the 2014 season:

1. Mike Leake. I now rank Leake as the best hitting pitcher in MLB. While Leake batted only .190 with a .469 OPS last year, his career batting average of .251 and .604 career OPS in 227 major league at-bats makes him the most accomplished hitter of those pitchers who were major league active in 2013. Leake doesn’t hit with much power and he hasn’t walked much since his 2010 rookie season, but he’s dangerous if a base hit means a run. Mike also had his best year as a major league starter in 2013, so he’s on course to get many more batting opportunities in the future.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

15. Likes:

Redeyecat (04-16-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (04-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Pitchers get hurt. Latos' injury isn't even major (yet). Cueto missed almost all of last year. It's very likely Bailey has a major injury before his deal runs out. It happens.
    I know, you are right that it isn't major (yet), but I would probably still let Latos and Cueto go. If Cueto pitches lights out the first half and the Reds are not looking like they are in contention I would trade him. Not giving Latos and Cueto huge contracts and proceeding with Bailey, Cingrani, Leake, Stephenson and whoever of Lorenzen, Travieso, Contreras, Holmberg, Lively, etc for the 5th spot is not a bad plan. May be able to get a really good bat for Cueto at the deadline. Latos, although the elbow problem is not a major issue yet, may turn into one, and he is going to get really expensive. I think Latos is great and enjoy watching him play, but letting a big market pay him to be on the DL may be the best course of action for the future.

So the thesis of the thread is that Leake could be the best starter of the Reds current rotation if the best guys get hurt and have shorter than expected careers? Uh, ok.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

18. Likes:

Razor Shines (04-17-2014),The Operator (04-16-2014),TRF (04-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    So the thesis of the thread is that Leake could be the best starter of the Reds current rotation if the best guys get hurt and have shorter than expected careers? Uh, ok.
    I definitely do not think Leake has the natural talent the others have, but he is certainly a solid pitcher that I think can be a Bronson Arroyo type.

Curious: What would your plan be with Cueto, Leake, and Latos moving forward with their impending free agency after 2015?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    As much as I like Mike Leake, if he has a good year, do we potentially use him as trade bait to bring in another bat?

Obviously lots of factors come in to play here, particularly how healthy Mat Latos is going to be. But I think its a fair question.
    The guy has performed well and has no injury issues currently.

(I'm not necessarily advocating this move but I think it's worth a discussion, considering we all know the offense is our weakest point and we have a lot of depth at starting pitching and will be unable to keep everyone longterm)
    He IS another bat already. :O)

Seriously though, Leake is a guy I try to sign long term. My main reason is a bit different than others. Most starting pitchers are power pitchers. That trend is becoming even more exaggerated in recent years. I want to have a solid finesse pitcher in the rotation to off set the other guys. To throw a change of pace at an opponent. The fact that he plays excellent defense and carries a VERY solid stick are just bonus points to keeping him around long term.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-16-2014 at 09:06 AM.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (04-16-2014)

I'm glad it's not my job to decide who to keep, let walk, or trade.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

23. Likes:

CySeymour (04-16-2014),KittyDuran (04-16-2014)

I definitely do not think Leake has the natural talent the others have, but he is certainly a solid pitcher that I think can be a Bronson Arroyo type.

Curious: What would your plan be with Cueto, Leake, and Latos moving forward with their impending free agency after 2015?
    It wouldnt be to sign Leake to a long term contract as an alternative....

If Latos is healthy, the reds have to lock him up. I'd explore extending Cueto as well. He'll entering his age 30 season in 2016 and really this season ought to give the Reds a great sense of wether he'll be as fragile as his smaller frame historically suggests.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?