Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Non-Fiction Reds and Non-Reds Baseball Books

Re: Best Non-Fiction Reds and Non-Reds Baseball Books

The Cincinnati Game by Lonnie Wheeler

2. Likes:

Roy Tucker (04-16-2014),westofyou (04-16-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I'll echo Ball Four and The Machine. I also really enjoyed Game Six by Mark Frost about maybe the most famous World Series game of all time.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Ball Four was only $1.99 for amazon kindle - I picked it up. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - looks like I have a lot of summer (as in summer, fall, winter, spring - repeat) reading ahead of me for the next couple years!!

Please feel free to continue piling on, I am a pretty quick reader so I am sure I will blow through Ball Four pretty quickly and I will be ready for the next book. I am sure others are enjoying the suggestions as much as I am as well!

I read Ball Four when I was twelve. It made me feel like I had found some secret handbook to professional baseball.

I haven't read any baseball books in a while, but one that I will always like is Men at Work, by George Will. It's easy to forget how difficult it is to play baseball at the major league level and how razor thin the margins really are. If a team misses the post season by a game, it could be the result of the most minute thing- failure to move a guy to scoring position in an April game, one bad hop, one tiny footwork error, an extra out in the first inning that brings the 2-3-4 hitters up in the bottom of the ninth. That is the context of the entire book, which describes the intensity and dedication to routines and fundamentals that is necessary to be good at the job. It gave me a greater appreciation for what it takes to play 162 games and for guys like Scott Rolen, who seemed to have mastered the art of doing it well.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

7. Likes:

RadfordVA (04-17-2014),vaticanplum (05-08-2014),westofyou (04-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I read Ball Four when I was twelve. It made me feel like I had found some secret handbook to professional baseball.

I haven't read any baseball books in a while, but one that I will always like is Men at Work, by George Will. It's easy to forget how difficult it is to play baseball at the major league level and how razor thin the margins really are. If a team misses the post season by a game, it could be the result of the most minute thing- failure to move a guy to scoring position in an April game, one bad hop, one tiny footwork error, an extra out in the first inning that brings the 2-3-4 hitters up in the bottom of the ninth. That is the context of the entire book, which describes the intensity and dedication to routines and fundamentals that is necessary to be good at the job. It gave me a greater appreciation for what it takes to play 162 games and for guys like Scott Rolen, who seemed to have mastered the art of doing it well.
    Ball Four changed my life, I read all the diary books then... Joe Pepitone's, Graig Nettles, Sparky Lyle, Jay Johnstone, Alex Karras, Bill Freehan's... none topped Ball Four, the funniest baseball book ever and edited by a Chipmunk too

Not Reds related.

The Echoing Green about the Bobby Thompson home run and surrounding events and contentions.

Koufax, A Lefty's Legacy. Superb biography.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Not Reds related.

The Echoing Green about the Bobby Thompson home run and surrounding events and contentions.

Koufax, A Lefty's Legacy. Superb biography.
    I agree, this one's excellent. Written by Jane Leavy, who also wrote "The Last Boy", the Mickey Mantle bio which I hope to read soon.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I'm currently reading Judge and Jury;The Life and Times of Kenesaw Mountain Landis. A really good biography of the first commisioner. Lots of stuff about him I never knew.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

How is the Expo book?

Do you read em all at the same time or one at a time? Keeping track of 3 books would be tough for me.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    How is the Expo book?

Do you read em all at the same time or one at a time? Keeping track of 3 books would be tough for me.
    Expo book is really good, and yes I read all at same time, also a few other non baseball books... they are all on my Kindle

Periodically throughout the year, SABR.org publishes listings of new books that are received at the SABR office.

This feature is called The SABR Bookshelf, continuing a popular section from the old SABR Bulletin.

Here are The SABR Bookshelf listings for Spring 2014:

http://sabr.org/content/sabr-bookshelf-spring-2014

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Periodically throughout the year, SABR.org publishes listings of new books that are received at the SABR office.

This feature is called The SABR Bookshelf, continuing a popular section from the old SABR Bulletin.

Here are The SABR Bookshelf listings for Spring 2014:

http://sabr.org/content/sabr-bookshelf-spring-2014

Thanks WOY for posting this. Looks like plenty of good reading. I added a few of these to my Amazon wish list.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I am about a 1/3 of the way through Ball Four, it has been excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I am about a 1/3 of the way through Ball Four, it has been excellent.
    Yeah Sureeeeeeeee

Turn Off Ads?