Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are umpires ignoring instant replay?

Re: Are umpires ignoring instant replay?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    I watched it about 10 times. Sanchez caught the ball before Bernadina even slid. I'm not disputing your first statement at all. It clearly gives the catcher the advantage. I imagine as this all unfolds, 3rd base coaches will have to get a little more conservative. Bernadina just ran into an out. The point is, if the throw is on the other side of the plate the catcher can't block the plate, catch the ball and then tag the runner. If the throw is on the money the catcher is going to be in position to catch the ball and hinder the runners ability to score. That's what he is supposed to do. Not sure any of us really want to see catchers get lit up behind the plate. It never made much sense to be able to do that at home but not any other base anyway. Most fans prefer their players not to get injured, I would guess. I don't have a problem with the rule. Don't run into outs is the bottom line. If you have no chance to score, what are you doing?

Bum
    Here's a screen shot. Bernadina is sliding into home before Sanchez has the ball. Clear as day. And Sanchez camped out at home, blocking the plate the entire time, never moving, never giving Bernadina a path to the plate.

Sanchez should not be able to block the plate until he has the ball. Then he can move to block the plate. He can't camp out there and wait for the ball to get to him, like he did yesterday. At all other bases, the fielder must give the runner a path to the base.

Attachment 7007
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Here's a screen shot. Bernadina is sliding into home before Sanchez has the ball. Clear as day. And Sanchez camped out at home, blocking the plate the entire time, never moving, never giving Bernadina a path to the plate.

Sanchez should not be able to block the plate until he has the ball. Then he can move to block the plate. He can't camp out there and wait for the ball to get to him, like he did yesterday. At all other bases, the fielder must give the runner a path to the base.

Attachment 7007
    Last response. Sanchez has the ball prior to Bernadina needing a line to the plate. Bernadina does not contact Sanchez until well after Sanchez has caught the ball. I understand as fans of the Reds, we want another run, but this play really isn't even close. The rule just doesn't pertain to this play. If Bernadina was making contact with Sanchez in this play, where the ball is in the picture, then you have an argument.

4. Likes:

RedsBrick (04-17-2014)

Yes, cause as we know MLB teams and it's players are really struggling financially...
    Yes, cause as we know, players are the only ones that get paid via the money made at games.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Yes, cause as we know, players are the only ones that get paid via the money made at games.

Nice.

Last response. Sanchez has the ball prior to Bernadina needing a line to the plate. Bernadina does not contact Sanchez until well after Sanchez has caught the ball. I understand as fans of the Reds, we want another run, but this play really isn't even close. The rule just doesn't pertain to this play. If Bernadina was making contact with Sanchez in this play, where the ball is in the picture, then you have an argument.
    I'm not sure we're seeing the same picture, lol. Bernadina is less than a third of a second from reaching the plate, and Sanchez doesn't have the ball. If the rule is that catcher can block the plate until the runner is actually at the plate, then it's the dumbest rule imaginable. This allows a catcher to block the plate all the time, which will only lead to more collisions.

8. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-17-2014),kbrake (04-17-2014),Trajinous (04-17-2014)

I agree RMR, I've said all along that the way to avoid collisions is to rule interference whenever there's contact in a situation like that. Then catchers would stop venturing into the baseline.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I'm not sure we're seeing the same picture, lol. Bernadina is less than a third of a second from reaching the plate, and Sanchez doesn't have the ball. If the rule is that catcher can block the plate until the runner is actually at the plate, then it's the dumbest rule imaginable. This allows a catcher to block the plate all the time, which will only lead to more collisions.
    Watching same play. You don't like the rule as it is. Sanchez has the ball, then Bernadina slides into him. He's out. Where did Sanchez interfere with Bernadina prior to him catching the ball? Bernadina never broke stride and there was zero contact prior to Sanchez catching the ball. When Bernadina got to the plate Sanchez had the ball and tagged Bernadina. He wasn't waiting on the ball, he was waiting on Bernadina...I am at a loss to the controversy here; this play isn't close. It's an easy out and an easy call.

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I agree RMR, I've said all along that the way to avoid collisions is to rule interference whenever there's contact in a situation like that. Then catchers would stop venturing into the baseline.
    It should be pretty simple. A catcher is not allowed to obstruct the entire plate. The catcher has to have both legs on the pitchers side of home plate. They can get enough plate coverage to make a tag regardless of where the runner slides to. If you watch the play in which Billy Hamilton scores on the short pop up, you will see Yadi out in front of the plate trying to make the catch and then the tag. He has full plate coverage and if the ball beats the runner he is going to tag Hamilton.

In the picture above Sanchez is going to block the plate regardless of whether he has the ball or not. He makes no attempt to give Bernadina an open path to the plate. This is the type of catching that MLB should not want. They shouldn't want a catcher setting up making a collision unavoidable.

12. Likes:

Watching same play. You don't like the rule as it is. Sanchez has the ball, then Bernadina slides into him. He's out. Where did Sanchez interfere with Bernadina prior to him catching the ball? Bernadina never broke stride and there was zero contact prior to Sanchez catching the ball. When Bernadina got to the plate Sanchez had the ball and tagged Bernadina. He wasn't waiting on the ball, he was waiting on Bernadina...I am at a loss to the controversy here; this play isn't close. It's an easy out and an easy call.

Bum
    I have a problem with the rule. It doesn't prevent collisions at the plate the way it is written. The only way to do that fairly is to prevent the catcher from blocking the plate with his body until he has the ball. By allowing him to block the plate while waiting for the throw allows for just as many collisions.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I am not at all opposed to the replay but I think it is being used a bit to much or there are to many instances where managers are taking a slow walk out to the umpire waiting for his guys in the dugout to watch the replay and see if it is worth challenging. I think we are going to see more and more managers doing this on every remotely close play which is going to drag the game on and make this replay system a bad thing IMO. Something needs to change.
    The challenge system is unnecessary anyway. Just do what the NHL does and have someone following along the whole time and if there's an error have them buzz in.

15. Likes:

Trajinous (04-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The challenge system is unnecessary anyway. Just do what the NHL does and have someone following along the whole time and if there's an error have them buzz in.
    I could live with that but keep in mind you will still have controversy or gamesmanship involved when for example a runner is called out on a close play and the pitcher wants to hurry and throw the ball before the play is reviewed similar to what happens with a QB in the NFL with a potential play under review. Then under this scenario the batter plays his game and wont get in the box till the play is reviewed. Just alot of things to consider.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Even Sanchez is quoted as saying he thought Bernadina would be called safe after replay:

Speaking to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Sanchez said: "No one knows exactly what's going on. Everyone's confused. It's creating more nonsense than it should. Personally I'd rather go back to the way it was. I'll take that hit right there, roll over, cross my fingers and hope nothing bad happens. That play right there, when he called him out, I was like, well, I was blocking the plate and they're going to call him safe."

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I could live with that but keep in mind you will still have controversy or gamesmanship involved when for example a runner is called out on a close play and the pitcher wants to hurry and throw the ball before the play is reviewed similar to what happens with a QB in the NFL with a potential play under review. Then under this scenario the batter plays his game and wont get in the box till the play is reviewed. Just alot of things to consider.
    That's true. Though I think that has to do with coaching challenges and the booth can still initiate a review and call a play dead even if the ball has been snapped (such as certain situation like 2 minute warning.) That's what I'd have baseball do.

Here's the rule. Basically, they've taken away the baserunner's ability to blast the catcher. The catcher can still block the plate. Seems that the runner can still slide in hard feet-first (like breaking up a double play), but that seems foolhardy seeing the catcher has on shin guards, helmet, mask, etc. But you never know, someone might do it.

I think that if they want to eliminate the collisions completely, they need to tweak the rule to say the catcher has to give a lane open to the plate. That would make it fair.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...r_mlb&c_id=mlb

OFFICIAL BASEBALL RULE 7.13

COLLISIONS AT HOME PLATE
    1. A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate). If, in the judgment of the Umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the Umpire shall declare the runner out (even if the player covering home plate loses possession of the ball). In such circumstances, the Umpire shall call the ball dead, and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the collision.

Rule 7.13 Comment: The failure by the runner to make an effort to touch the plate, the runner's lowering of the shoulder, or the runner's pushing through with his hands, elbows or arms, would support a determination that the runner deviated from the pathway in order to initiate contact with the catcher in violation of Rule 7.13. If the runner slides into the plate in an appropriate manner, he shall not be adjudged to have violated Rule 7.13. A slide shall be deemed appropriate, in the case of a feet first slide, if the runner's buttocks and legs should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. In the case of a head first slide, a runner shall be deemed to have slid appropriately if his body should hit the ground before contact with the catcher.

2. Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score. If, in the judgment of the Umpire, the catcher without possession of the ball blocks the pathway of the runner, the Umpire shall call or signal the runner safe. Notwithstanding the above, it shall not be considered a violation of this Rule 7.13 if the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner in order to field a throw, and the Umpire determines that the catcher could not have fielded the ball without blocking the pathway of the runner and that contact with the runner was unavoidable.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Those shin guards are all the catcher needs now to be emboldened to block the plate. No fear of being mowed down, and no fear of the spikes. They will continue to block the plate in this manner until the rule is called as it is written. I don't blame them. I would too.

Turn Off Ads?