Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are umpires ignoring instant replay?

For a Level Playing Field

Re: Are umpires ignoring instant replay?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Those shin guards are all the catcher needs now to be emboldened to block the plate. No fear of being mowed down, and no fear of the spikes. They will continue to block the plate in this manner until the rule is called as it is written. I don't blame them. I would too.
    Makes me think of all the times Craig Biggio and Barry Bonds got HBPs on the front elbow. Despite the fact a lot of the pitches were thrown over the plate (just high).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Here's the rule. Basically, they've taken away the baserunner's ability to blast the catcher. The catcher can still block the plate. Seems that the runner can still slide in hard feet-first (like breaking up a double play), but that seems foolhardy seeing the catcher has on shin guards, helmet, mask, etc. But you never know, someone might do it.

I think that if they want to eliminate the collisions completely, they need to tweak the rule to say the catcher has to give a lane open to the plate. That would make it fair.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...r_mlb&c_id=mlb
    The more I think about it, the more I'm of a mind that if its not ok for a runner to barrel into a player at any other base, it should not be ok for him to do it at home. And defenders are allowed to block the base with the ball at all other bases and it works out just fine.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I'm of a mind that if its not ok for a runner to barrel into a player at any other base, it should not be ok for him to do it at home. And defenders are allowed to block the base with the ball at all other bases and it works out just fine.
    Your allowed to barrel into a fielder blocking a base. There is no rule against it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Your allowed to barrel into a fielder blocking a base. There is no rule against it.
    Except no one does, so apparently its news to everyone. I see a few roll blocks at second, but probably about a ratio of 1:10,000 for home plate runner barrelling over the catcher blocking home plate.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mZ3uyi9.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	7010
    Called fair, challenged, wasted time, not overturned. What are they looking at?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Again, what are they looking at? Yunel Escobar struck out on a 4-2 pitch after they'd already reviewed it specifically to figure out the count.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/min/...&vkey=news_min
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Makes me think of all the times Craig Biggio and Barry Bonds got HBPs on the front elbow. Despite the fact a lot of the pitches were thrown over the plate (just high).
    I don't think Biggio wore a guard like Bonds did. I didn't like that he put it out there but I respected him for not wearing a guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't think Biggio wore a guard like Bonds did. I didn't like that he put it out there but I respected him for not wearing a guard.
    Interesting, Chip, b/c there are images with it and without it. I am guessing he did it later in his career. The pic below looks like it did not help lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mlb_g_biggio_275.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	7039

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...d_x.htm?csp=34
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?