Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Stats Through 20 Games, 2014

Reds Stats Through 20 Games, 2014

Reds went 6-4, now trail Brewers by 5.5 games in third place in Central with 9-11 record. Reds +14 run differential one of better marks in NL, second to Brewers in Central. Reds 4-5 at home and 5-6 on road. Reds 2-7 in one run games, one of worst marks in MLB. No extra innings games as yet. ESPN ExWL (expected won-lost based on run differential) for Reds is 12-8. Reds' injured players continue to return, Sean Marshall back and Partch down.

Offense - Reds spike in OPS now third in NL with .732. Reds also third in BA .262 and OBP .326. Reds fourth in SLG at .406. Reds tied for 7th-8th in runs scored with 83, so OPS hasn't yet quite translated to high level of runs scored. Reds with 20 homers which is 7th-8th with Pirates leading NL at 27. Reds obviously with more steals this year, second in NL with 20 (trail LA). Reds wRC+ is 103 third in NL. Reds position player WAR (including defense and base running) second in NL at 4.4, trailing Rockies.

Reds catchers with complete turnaround so far Mesoraco with 37 ABs and 1.517 OPS and .541 BA. Pena with 30 ABs and .845 OPS. Mes tied for team league with Bruce with 12 RBI, despite Mes only playing in half the team's games. Votto at .922 OPS with near usual OBP level, .422, and a .500 SLG, hitting .292 BA. Bruce and Frazier both over .800 OPS with, respectively, .817 and .815. Then drop down to lower .700s (Heisey .732, Ludwick .728). Phillips with .644 OPS, Hamilton .532, Cozart .428.

Hamilton with 8 steals so far adding new dimension to Reds baseball. Votto 17 Ks, 15 BBs; Bruce 19 Ks, 14 BBs; Frazier 14 Ks, 9 BBs; Ludwick 15 Ks, 4 BBs; Phillips 20 Ks, 2 BBs; Hamilton 17 Ks, 3 BBs; Cozart 10 Ks, 1 BB. Running total of Cozart/Heisey PAs to BBs -- so far, combined 109 PAs and 2 BBs.

Pitching - Tale of two pitching staffs. Starting staff with 8-7 W-L record and fifth best (NL) 2.75 ERA. Bullpen with 1-4 W-L record and league worst 5.77 ERA. Overall staff with 8th best 3.50 ERA (NL). Overall BAA is .224 fourth lowest in NL. Overall team pitching K rate is 7.78 per nine innings, fourth from lowest in NL. Overall walk rate 3.56 per nine, only DBack allowing more. Overall team FIP is second highest in NL at 4.36. xFIP a bit better at 3.80, fourth highest. Pitching WAR (Fangraphs) for Reds is 12th in NL at 0.2.

Reds relievers have lowest pitching WAR in NL at -1.0, highest FIP 5.73, highest xFIP 4.87, 9th highest LOB rate at 74.1%; lowest K rate at 7.21; highest BB rate of 5.56. Thankfully for Reds bullpen innings pitched is fewest in NL at 43.2. Bullpen ERAs on current staff include Hoover 13.50, Ondrusek 11.25, Christiani 4.70, Parra 4.66. Lecure with 1.13. Among qualified starters, Simon at 0.86 ERA tied for second best in NL, Cueto with 1.38 is fifth best in NL and two complete games. Cueto leads NL in CGs and innings pitched.

Fielding -- Reds second in NL in UZR rating with 9.3, have fewest errors in NL with 8, highest FPCT with .989, and best DER (MLB.com) in NL at .734.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-23-2014 at 09:49 AM.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-23-2014), Boss-Hog (04-23-2014), dubc47834 (04-23-2014), joshua (04-24-2014), marcshoe (04-23-2014), PepperJack (04-23-2014), Raisor (04-23-2014), REDREAD (04-23-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Stats Through 20 Games, 2014

97 wins

2012 9-11
    2014 9-11
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

5. Likes:

reds44 (04-23-2014), villain612 (04-23-2014)

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

No surprise that the bullpen has been a problem, considering it has been comprised of what should be the Louisville Bats bullpen for the first two weeks of the season.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Awesome to see Billy hitting the ball well and getting on base the last 2 weeks, but his K/BB ratio is a little troubling.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Awesome to see Billy hitting the ball well and getting on base the last 2 weeks, but his K/BB ratio is a little troubling.
    Hamilton has been overmatched in some games, I think his K/BB rate will improve. Phillips/ K/BB rate has been surprisingly poor this year. Some others perpetually have a problem in this area.

Glad to see Frazier and the catchers displaying good K/BB rates so far. Catchers combined 13 Ks, 8 BBs. And Bruce who is being more selective and, I think, it will eventually pay off for him.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-23-2014 at 10:37 AM.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-23-2014)

not impressed with phillips so far. has a slow start defensivly too.

billy looks bad at the plate very often but his numbers the past week arenīt bad... good to see (would like to see him bat at the end of the lineup though)

bruce getting some hits after a slow start (he looks good on the plate, lots of hard hit balls and he takes some walks )

votto getting better after slow start

rocco and pena with amazing starts! great to see catchers produce offensivly (rocco should bat at the top of the lineup)

cozart getting some hits (still not great numbers but heīll get better)

ludwick doing ok, frazier is streaky but not bad

pitching is great!
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The switch to Hamilton from Choo in CF isn't going to help OBP numbers, but it is going to dramatically help with team defensive metrics.

Hamilton has a positive UZR rating so far in the early going, whereas Choo's UZR was quite negative with the Reds last season.

This could help explain why the Reds are now near the top of the NL in defensive metrics, and first in some of them.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (04-25-2014)

Billy is looking better and while he looks overmatched on some pitches he just bounces right back. He does not seem to get rattled by a bad AB or bad swing, it's more like watching him learn pitch by pitch.

Cozart, despite his bad start, is on pace for 32 doubles and 73 rbi's. He is climbing though. Season (thru 18g) OPS .428/ last 14: .646 /last 7 .714

Hoover and Ondrusek have been the bullpen woes. Those two have been horrible early. How long do you keep going to them if this continues? Baker was really stubborn about sticking with struggling players, how long will Price trot them out if they keep getting hammered? It's early but we just hit the 1/8th mark of the season. Can they afford to go through the next 20 games waiting for their mechanics to shake out? Diaz, Hyde, and Partch are all pitching well in Louisville.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

14. Likes:

REDREAD (04-25-2014)

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

Given the injuries and the tough schedule, I am still optimistic on this team.
    I said a month ago that if we ended April at .500, I'd be happy.

Our two best bullpen arms are not available in the pen right now and that's our biggest issue (Chapman injured obviously, and Simon having to start).

Offense is coming around, and a few players on the team have nowhere to go but up (Bruce especially).

Not to mention, our ace is pitching like a Cy Young award winner right now.

5 months to go.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

16. Likes:

REDREAD (04-25-2014)

When did Simon go from strong middle reliever to one of our best bullpen arms? I've enjoyed his success as a starter, but he is still only an above average middle reliever over the course of a season.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

18. Likes:

Gapper (04-23-2014), Wonderful Monds (04-24-2014)

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    When did Simon go from strong middle reliever to one of our best bullpen arms? I've enjoyed his success as a starter, but he is still only an above average middle reliever over the course of a season.
    Maybe "best bullpen arm" was the wrong description.

But I'd much rather him be pitching the 7th and 8th innings of a game than Ondrusek, Christiani or Hoover right now.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Maybe "best bullpen arm" was the wrong description.

But I'd much rather him be pitching the 7th and 8th innings of a game than Ondrusek, Christiani or Hoover right now.
    On that we agree.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Billy is looking better and while he looks overmatched on some pitches he just bounces right back. He does not seem to get rattled by a bad AB or bad swing, it's more like watching him learn pitch by pitch.

Cozart, despite his bad start, is on pace for 32 doubles and 73 rbi's. He is climbing though. Season (thru 18g) OPS .428/ last 14: .646 /last 7 .714

Hoover and Ondrusek have been the bullpen woes. Those two have been horrible early. How long do you keep going to them if this continues? Baker was really stubborn about sticking with struggling players, how long will Price trot them out if they keep getting hammered? It's early but we just hit the 1/8th mark of the season. Can they afford to go through the next 20 games waiting for their mechanics to shake out? Diaz, Hyde, and Partch are all pitching well in Louisville.
    I don't agree about the bullpen. Trevor Bell had two disastrous outings then went on the DL. Parra hasn't been good of late. Christiani hasn't pitched prime time spots, but overall not that effective.

It's more than two guys. Lecure is the only reliever who has done well steadily, excluding Brox and Marshall who just came back. And Lecure needs rest, he's not an everyday guy.

I think we are seeing the usual outcome for a pen that lost its closer, its set up man (Marshall) and a strong middle reliever (Simon). Without those three there isn't an abundance of talent in the pen.

Not sure about Logan, but Price has seen Hoover be quite successful in the past, I think he will keep using him going forward.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-23-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I can tell you that I was shocked when I looked up his numbers from last year. 133 ERA+, 1.07 WHIP, 2.42 K/BB. I think the fact that Dusty used him as the bullpen's Saint Jude (i.e., the patron saint of lost causes) colored my perception of his performance.

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-23-2014), joshua (04-24-2014), REDREAD (04-25-2014), Wonderful Monds (04-24-2014)

This might not really fit here, but I don't know if it is worthy of it's own thread, and there is not another one about offensive philosophy.

Anyways, here is a quote from Price about what he is looking for from the offense. I think it is telling about the approach that they are trying to instill in the players.

"It's great to see," Reds manager Bryan Price said. "They're all valuable pieces, but Todd is sitting more towards the middle of the lineup in that four or five spot. It's not even the power. What we're looking for is good consistent at-bats from our lineup. It doesn't have to be home runs. It doesn't have to be ringing doubles in the gap. It's just got to be good, efficient and effective at-bats. It's very encouraging to see the way he's been swinging the bat the last couple of games."

25. Likes:

REDREAD (04-25-2014)

Turn Off Ads?