Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pena should be Cueto primary catcher.

Re: Pena should be Cueto primary catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones1 View Post
    Have you watched his starts? Zero walks today and worked both sides of the plate better than ive ever seen him. The cutter is really working well and hes using much more this yr. Price said they have great chemistry and that pena worked both sides of the plate very well. Nobody wanted to see mesoracos bar in the lineup vs a good lefty more than I but ive watched cueto pitch and it was the most well rounded game ive ever seen as brutus said you should open your mind a little bit cause I think youre gonna see this for awhile.
    It's amazing Cueto hasn't had an ERA above 2.82 since 2010 when you consider Pena just got here!

Maybe Cueto's just really good, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Also noticed the way pena would go to one leg so he could get down low for the curveball and change up in the dirt. Have not seen mes do that with cueto. Listen this is not a bash on Mes the guy could and may well be the best catcher the reds have had since bench but after watching pena catch cueto today it looked so much different than when mes caught him. Can mes pick up the things cueto like that pena did? Yes im positive he can but that might take some time and I see this tandem being the norm for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It's amazing Cueto hasn't had an ERA above 2.82 since 2010 when you consider Pena just got here!

I'll make sure to revisit this thread when pena is catching cueto most of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

And that era has nothing to do with mesoraco either.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I think that Cueto would even pitch this well if I were catching.
    Not only that, but you'd probably get a thread started suggesting YOU should be Cueto's new personal catcher!

Look, I'm not closed-minded enough to not acknowledge that some guys might work better together than others. But it has been 3 starts for Cueto. And is it worth taking Mesoraco's bat out of the lineup to do such a thing? There is no way to know that right now.

And that era has nothing to do with mesoraco either.
    Exactly. It has nothing to do with the catcher and has everything to do with Cueto. I'm glad we agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Wow the two just work very well together with great chemistry. Love Mes's bat but Cueto looked very uncomfortable with him catching in his last outing.
    Is this Tracy Jones?

Because if so you still owe me an apology from the Redszone 2005 Gathering where I told you that Barry Bonds hit leadoff for the Pirates in late 80s and some in 90/91 and you remarked about how I was a Panama City guy and didn't know anything. I want my apology Tracy!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...zone+gathering
    Last edited by Puffy; 04-16-2014 at 07:33 PM.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

9. Likes:

dougdirt (04-16-2014), marcshoe (04-17-2014), Raisor (04-17-2014), SirFelixCat (04-16-2014), westofyou (04-17-2014)

No. Taking away ABs from Mesoraco is a bad move, outside the occasional rest for Mes. It's only been a few games and silly to denote Pena as Cueto's catcher.

11. Likes:

marcshoe (04-16-2014), Tom Servo (04-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Over/under on posts until someone brings up catcher-ERA? I'll take the under on 25.
    I say it will be brought up in post #6.

I'm curious if Fangraphs has ever done the validity of catcher's ERA. Anyone seen an article like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    I'm curious if Fangraphs has ever done the validity of catcher's ERA. Anyone seen an article like that?
    I don't know if Fangraphs has done it, but other places have and it's not worth the ink or pixels you see it on.

I don't think any of our Starters should work exclusively with any Catcher not named Mesoraco. (The Galaxy SIII changed 'Mesoraco' to 'El Dorado').
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    I was a catcher and I always thought the whole pitcher/catcher relationship was one of those folklore things that doesn't really matter. The catcher's really just sitting holding up his glove. How does that matter? I guess a pitcher would be the only one to really know.

Besides it always seemed like a way for everybody to blame me somehow if the pitcher had a bad game.
    I was a pitcher and made it to the college level. My catcher for my summer ball league I preferred much more to my HS catcher that I had that also went to play college ball at the same place. I was mostly effective because of my off speed stuff, curveball, slider and change-up. My summer ball catcher understood this and our game plan was great. I mixed up my pitches a lot with him.

My very good friend from HS and college called fastball about 85% of the time. The only time he'd call off speed was when I had two strikes on the guy. I think there is definitely a little something to the relationship between the pitcher and catcher.

17. Likes:

malcontent (04-16-2014)

Literally 30 seconds after leaving this thread earlier today, I had gone over to Facebook. The very first post in my timeline was a friend who attended last night's Yankees' game lamenting how the scoreboard posted this:

Name:  10268628_10101855630353781_7504514295710855081_n.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  92.1 KB

Funny timing, to say the least.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I guess when you hit .154/.185/.192 it is ok to put your "catchers ERA" on the scoreboard. I mean, come on. The guy has family.

20. Likes:

Brutus (04-17-2014), Hoosier Red (04-17-2014), Kingspoint (04-22-2014), Mitri (04-17-2014), reds44 (04-17-2014), Wonderful Monds (04-17-2014)

Turn Off Ads?