Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Stephenson

All Things Stephenson

I figured I would start a thread about Stephenson. This is the thread where we will rejoice when he dominates and weep when he gets dominated.

I noticed (thanks to texasdave's fantastic updates) Stephenson gave up 7 walks tonight and a grand slam. Are these last two starts just a fluke occurance or is something possibly wrong with him? What is his velocity looking like?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: All Things Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I figured I would start a thread about Stephenson. This is the thread where we will rejoice when he dominates and weep when he gets dominated.

I noticed (thanks to texasdave's fantastic updates) Stephenson gave up 7 walks tonight and a grand slam. Are these last two starts just a fluke occurance or is something possibly wrong with him? What is his velocity looking like?
    location, location, location. He's getting the Ks.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

He had 0 Ks in his last start and only 3 tonight I believe.

Doug Gray ‏@dougdirt24 3h
    Robert Stephenson has 6 walks tonight in 4.1 innings. He isn't able to throw anything for strikes tonight. Bouncing FB and CV all night.

Or it might be good to revisit this thread of discussion of his time in Pensacola. Goes to show we should not put too much stock in "control" before a guy even gets to AA. Now he certainly has time but to say he was clearly ahead of Bailey at the same point was just wrong IMO

Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Stephenson is better at age 20 than Bailey was. The stuff is better, the control is better. Bailey certainly pitched very well in AA, which is where I am sure some will give him the edge, but he was walking nearly 4 batters per 9 innings in AA that season. While we certainly won't get a chance to see Stephenson get nearly as many innings, I just can't fathom him walking that many hitters. He is in the zone too much.

He was walking under 3 in 13 high A starts that season. Seems silly to compare AA numbers to Stephenson when he has only made 4 starts above Low A so far. Stephenson walked 3.9 in 8 Dayton starts last year so he is certainly capable of missing the zone for a period of adjustment.

The quote I was contesting was Stephenson has "clearly outperformed" Bailey at this stage when both are really quite similar. Hopefully Stephenson reaches his peak quicker than Bailey.

Also of note Stephenson is 3 months older than Bailey in their same age season
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ght=stephenson

I asked if it's dead arm period for the young kid?

I actually like when a young prospect struggles a bit in the minors. Forces them to realize that they still have a lot to learn. If they sail through the minors with no bumps in the road, they'll likely be too cocky when they reach the majors, and think they don't have to learn or improve anymore. Not to sound like an inspirational speaker, but failure is an important part of success.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

9. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (04-17-2014),RedlegJake (04-17-2014)

Anyone catch this story?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/...&vkey=news_cin

Don't know anything about this Bernie Pleskoff guy, but he thinks Stephenson's control and command issues limit his ceiling to a #3 starter.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Don't know anything about this Bernie Pleskoff guy, but he thinks Stephenson's control and command issues limit his ceiling to a #3 starter.
    Meh...Stephenson at this point is a work in progress. Bernie Pleskoff doesn't know what he'll become and neither do you and I.

I did read, however, that at this point in his career he gets flustered and frustrated when he has to work out of jams. Which makes sense, I guess...he probably doesn't have much experience being less than dominant.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Bounced back a bit tonight.

5 IP 1 ER 7 K 3 BB

Anyone watch?

I just took a look at the Pensacola gameday and saw he seemed to pitch pretty well. Lutz went for the cycle.

Bounced back a bit tonight.

5 IP 1 ER 7 K 3 BB

Anyone watch?
    Yes. He relied on his fastball, which gained velocity over the course of the outing. Was up to 94 and touched 96 by the end, according to the announcer. He rarely spotted the curve for a strike. He's got a ways to go yet, IMO. Reminds me a bit of early Bailey. Overpowering fastball, but big 11-5 curve is going to be tough to get called for strikes in the bigs. Development of a third pitch (see Homer's splitter) will be crucial.

15. Likes:

HokieRed (04-22-2014)

Are the walks officially a problem for some of you yet? I listened to excuses early in the year but the walks just won't let up.

No need to get defensive as I mention this...I'm just concerned about what the problem may be.

This is just in my head, and I know all the scouts, doug, experts, etc disagree, but....

At this point, to me personally, with all of these walks he is not an "elite" pitching prospect, and is not a top 100 talent.

He will not be an "elite" pitching prospect again until he can string together multiple outings where he keeps his walks under control.

At this point I will be surprised if he is a successful major league starting pitcher. Maybe he will end up being a closer. That can change if gets his stuff under control, but that is how I am looking at him personally.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Are the walks officially a problem for some of you yet? I listened to excuses early in the year but the walks just won't let up.

No need to get defensive as I mention this...I'm just concerned about what the problem may be.
    They are definitely a concern for me. I think it sets him back from 2015 to 2016 for an eta and really to 2017 or 2018 before he's a reliable version of himself.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Turn Off Ads?