Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of cable as we know it?

The end of cable as we know it?

Time Warner is trying to force it's LA subscribers, and all TV viewers in the LA area to pay $4 a month for a Dodgers channel. DirectTV says they don't want to force all of their subscribers to pay for a channel they might not want, and want to offer it on an a la carte basis. Link below:
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...#axzz2z6gNfB2H

If DirectTV wins this case, it could ultimately lead to the end of being forced to pay for every channel you don't want when paying for cable, and having everything a la carte. Personally, I haven't paid for cable ever since I moved out on my own, roughly two years ago now. I live on Netflix and MLB.tv. But if I could pay for just a sports package, or just for certain sports channel, I would consider making the switch. For those interested in further discussion on the topic, it was the focus of an episode of the "Effectively Wild" podcast this week, which is a podcast I would recommend to everyone anyway.

Anyway, I was curious about this boards thoughts on this matter. How do you watch TV/sports/the Reds? Do you think the great TV Revolution is nigh? Would you appreciate being able to pick and choose your channels? Discuss!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The end of cable as we know it?

The overall question may be better suited for the non-baseball forum, but I worry what this will mean for the expected cash grab from the next local TV deal for the Reds.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

I heard Jim Bowden talking about this on the radio yesterday. The gist of what he was saying is that he deal on the table for the Dodgers from Time Warner is a bad deal. He was saying that the Dodgers made a bunch of salary commitments to build the best team they can (and have the highest payroll in baseball) and they need a good TV deal to support that spending. The Dodgers could always go back to the days of Frank McCourt.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I heard Jim Bowden talking about this on the radio yesterday.
    You lost me right there
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

6. Likes:

Larkin Fan (04-18-2014), Raisor (04-18-2014), RedFanAlways1966 (04-18-2014), Tom Servo (04-18-2014)

Internet viewing is coming fast, IMO. Most of what I watch is via the Internet. MLBTV,Netflix,YouTube etc.... If you could watch ESPN via the Internet without having it tied to your cable I would probably drop my TV. I can see in the very near future people paying for what they want to watch via Internet and dropping their cable/satellite. I know I am very close to doing that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I grew up without cable, I can do this

9. Likes:

Big Klu (04-23-2014), Number_Fourteen (04-18-2014), pahster (04-19-2014)

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I guess that I only watch 4 to 7 channels (98% of the time). I pay for god knows how many. Has to be cheaper if I only had the 4 to 7 channels that I watch.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

And I feel fine.

We ditched cable 5 years ago when we bought our current home. We only get 10 channels- 5 are NH PBS, 4 are VT PBS, and the 10th is ABC. I watch a lot less than I used to. I can now stream the free MLB.com game on the tv through the Blu-Ray or computer. I miss watching some things but not as much as I would have were it not for the internet.

12. Likes:

Dan (04-19-2014), KittyDuran (04-18-2014)

direct tv has a bi yearly meeting with the board of directors and the CEO and they usually invite a few installers to this meeting, its usually the installers that rate the best and have the best quota numbers....last year at the meeting they only invited 4 installers from the entire USA so its a pretty big deal and they are required to sign a contract stating they will not disclose the details to anyone....they also invite a handfull of other people but I am not sure of who they are and why they are there.....any how, on to the point of my post.....one of the 4 installers they invited was my cousin from Las Vegas....he makes major coin just from being an installer....but he works his tail off and normally works 7 days a week and 16 hours a day....he loves it....he lives in a small 1 bedroom rental and his goal is to pay cash for a country home back in Ohio in a few years.....

I was talking to him at Christmas this past year and he said at the meeting one of the items they discussed was the future direction of DTV.....he said they will want to eventually become 100$ ala carte programming where you get online and click the channels you want and you pay for just those channels alone.....there opinion is they will make more money in doing that because each channel will be a different price depending on popularity....To me, it seems like they would have a hard time making more money but I am sure they have researched it through and through so I am sure they know what they are talking about.....

another area they are wanting to go is the full wireless feature....basically you'll have one box that is hooked up to the dish and then you can have TV's spread throughout your house that will either have something built into the TV or you will have to plug in something through a USB port or a HDMI port, however they go about it....but the idea is to move away from the boxes and wires that you are forced to have now....you wont even have to have a client box,it will all be wireless.....the downside to that is Direct Tv will need a ton of cloud storage and that is something they do not have at the moment but I guess its what they are working towards for the future....

another future item they want to get into is having actual flat screen TV's that you can purchase from them....that way all the software you will need for the wireless viewing will all be installed onto the TV that they sell you or that you lease through them....with this feature, they want to create a TV that is a one stop shop for everything....it will be a TV, a computer that is stand alone and not just a mirror....the thinking here is that they would like people to be able to control their lives through the TV set...pay your bills? turn on the TV.....watch a movie? turn on the TV....write a term paper? turn on your TV.....purchase an app for your phone? turn on your TV? back up your phone to itunes or to Kies or any online service? turn on your TV.

Direct TV wants to move into the future and corner the market on not only doing it all through your TV but doing it all without having to have 3 different boxes and 12 wires running in every direction....they want everything built right into the TV or the ability to plug in just 1 small box into the HDMI or similar to have your current TV become the one stop shop for everything.....

thats why I continue to stay with Direct TV....they continue to come out with new technology every year it seems....IMO, they are the leaders, are the pricey? yeah a little, but I think its worth for all they do and all the give you for free if you just call in and talk to them...

14. Likes:

Joseph (04-19-2014), WVRedsFan (04-22-2014)

If I lived outside of the blackout zone, I wouldn't have cable. But I do and I need to watch Reds games. And it sucks to have to pay so much for a bunch of channels I don't even think about watching simply so I can watch Reds games.

16. Likes:

Beer&Bourbon (04-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If I lived outside of the blackout zone, I wouldn't have cable. But I do and I need to watch Reds games. And it sucks to have to pay so much for a bunch of channels I don't even think about watching simply so I can watch Reds games.
    There are ways.....I live about 30 miles from GABP and I watch every game through MLB.TV. MLB.TV cost me about what one month of Directv was costing is before we dropped. Between a cheap antenna, Hulu, Netflix and MLB.TV, we haven't missed pay TV much if at all.
    Last edited by mole44; 04-18-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If you could watch ESPN via the Internet without having it tied to your cable I would probably drop my TV.
    This is where I am, too. I am huge into college sports so obviously ESPN controls much of what I watch on TV. If it wasn't for that, I think I could go with local over-the-air plus internet plus netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I grew up without cable, I can do this
    I did too, but I also only saw the Reds when Joe Garagiola & Tony Kubek had them on some Saturday afternoon. Also, I listened to 9-10 of my college football team's games on radio, with 1-2 televised during the year. Now, I can watch any game I want pretty much.

So how I grew up doesn't necessarily gauge where I want to be today.......

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    This is where I am, too. I am huge into college sports so obviously ESPN controls much of what I watch on TV. If it wasn't for that, I think I could go with local over-the-air plus internet plus netflix.

I did too, but I also only saw the Reds when Joe Garagiola & Tony Kubek had them on some Saturday afternoon. Also, I listened to 9-10 of my college football team's games on radio, with 1-2 televised during the year. Now, I can watch any game I want pretty much.

So how I grew up doesn't necessarily gauge where I want to be today.......
    No doubt... I have DirectTV myself and I ain't giving it up!!

Quote Originally Posted by mole44 View Post
    There are ways.....I live about 30 miles from GABP and I watch every game through MLB.TV. MLB.TV cost me about what one month of Directv was costing is before we dropped. Between a cheap antenna, Hulu, Netflix and MLB.TV, we haven't missed pay TV much if at all.
    Yeah, I could run it through some back channels and all of that jazz. I have Hulu, Roku and Netflix and that is where I watch 90% of my non-sports television. It's that ESPN and FS Ohio that keeps me paying TWC.

Until they jacked up the price of the more popular channels so that having only the few more popular ones would end up
    costing the same as or more than having the entire package now. Maybe that would not be possible or I am too cynical, but I am not sure that a la carte would be much cheaper. The cable companies are not going to try to change their model in order to make less money after all.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I guess that I only watch 4 to 7 channels (98% of the time). I pay for god knows how many. Has to be cheaper if I only had the 4 to 7 channels that I watch.

22. Likes:

Big Klu (04-23-2014), Hoosier Red (04-18-2014), Joseph (04-19-2014)

Turn Off Ads?