Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of cable as we know it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The end of cable as we know it?

Time Warner is trying to force it's LA subscribers, and all TV viewers in the LA area to pay $4 a month for a Dodgers channel. DirectTV says they don't want to force all of their subscribers to pay for a channel they might not want, and want to offer it on an a la carte basis. Link below:
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...#axzz2z6gNfB2H

If DirectTV wins this case, it could ultimately lead to the end of being forced to pay for every channel you don't want when paying for cable, and having everything a la carte. Personally, I haven't paid for cable ever since I moved out on my own, roughly two years ago now. I live on Netflix and MLB.tv. But if I could pay for just a sports package, or just for certain sports channel, I would consider making the switch. For those interested in further discussion on the topic, it was the focus of an episode of the "Effectively Wild" podcast this week, which is a podcast I would recommend to everyone anyway.

Anyway, I was curious about this boards thoughts on this matter. How do you watch TV/sports/the Reds? Do you think the great TV Revolution is nigh? Would you appreciate being able to pick and choose your channels? Discuss!

Re: The end of cable as we know it?

The overall question may be better suited for the non-baseball forum, but I worry what this will mean for the expected cash grab from the next local TV deal for the Reds.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I heard Jim Bowden talking about this on the radio yesterday. The gist of what he was saying is that he deal on the table for the Dodgers from Time Warner is a bad deal. He was saying that the Dodgers made a bunch of salary commitments to build the best team they can (and have the highest payroll in baseball) and they need a good TV deal to support that spending. The Dodgers could always go back to the days of Frank McCourt.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I heard Jim Bowden talking about this on the radio yesterday.
    You lost me right there
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

5. Likes:

Larkin Fan (04-18-2014),Raisor (04-18-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (04-18-2014),Tom Servo (04-18-2014)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    You lost me right there
    We joke about him, but that is a decent show. He's in the perfect place for him.

Internet viewing is coming fast, IMO. Most of what I watch is via the Internet. MLBTV,Netflix,YouTube etc.... If you could watch ESPN via the Internet without having it tied to your cable I would probably drop my TV. I can see in the very near future people paying for what they want to watch via Internet and dropping their cable/satellite. I know I am very close to doing that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

For a Level Playing Field

I guess that I only watch 4 to 7 channels (98% of the time). I pay for god knows how many. Has to be cheaper if I only had the 4 to 7 channels that I watch.

And I feel fine.

We ditched cable 5 years ago when we bought our current home. We only get 10 channels- 5 are NH PBS, 4 are VT PBS, and the 10th is ABC. I watch a lot less than I used to. I can now stream the free MLB.com game on the tv through the Blu-Ray or computer. I miss watching some things but not as much as I would have were it not for the internet.

10. Likes:

KittyDuran (04-18-2014),WrongVerb (04-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    And I feel fine.

We only get 10 channels- 5 are NH PBS, 4 are VT PBS, and the 10th is ABC. I watch a lot less than I used to.
    10 channels and 9 are PBS? I can understand why you watch less.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

12. Likes:

The Operator (04-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    10 channels and 9 are PBS? I can understand why you watch less.
    Yeah but I get all the Rick Steeves marathons a man could want.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    And I feel fine.

We ditched cable 5 years ago when we bought our current home. We only get 10 channels- 5 are NH PBS, 4 are VT PBS, and the 10th is ABC. I watch a lot less than I used to. I can now stream the free MLB.com game on the tv through the Blu-Ray or computer. I miss watching some things but not as much as I would have were it not for the internet.
    I stopped watching cable about 1.5 years ago. For years I'd have it on but one day I realized there wasn't anything that I was watching that I couldn't do without. So I canceled and save about $60/mo. I stream all kinds of stuff through Netflix and watch baseball on mlb.tv. Other stuff I want to watch like The Daily Show and Cosmos are streamed as soon as the episodes have been broadcast.

MLB.tv, just to keep this post somewhat relevant, has to be the best value out there. (At least until Netflix opens up their entire library for streaming.)
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Until they jacked up the price of the more popular channels so that having only the few more popular ones would end up
    costing the same as or more than having the entire package now. Maybe that would not be possible or I am too cynical, but I am not sure that a la carte would be much cheaper. The cable companies are not going to try to change their model in order to make less money after all.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I guess that I only watch 4 to 7 channels (98% of the time). I pay for god knows how many. Has to be cheaper if I only had the 4 to 7 channels that I watch.

16. Likes:

Big Klu (04-23-2014),Hoosier Red (04-18-2014),Joseph (04-19-2014)

MLB.TV would be incredible if not for the blackouts...

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If you could watch ESPN via the Internet without having it tied to your cable I would probably drop my TV.
    This is where I am, too. I am huge into college sports so obviously ESPN controls much of what I watch on TV. If it wasn't for that, I think I could go with local over-the-air plus internet plus netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I grew up without cable, I can do this
    I did too, but I also only saw the Reds when Joe Garagiola & Tony Kubek had them on some Saturday afternoon. Also, I listened to 9-10 of my college football team's games on radio, with 1-2 televised during the year. Now, I can watch any game I want pretty much.

So how I grew up doesn't necessarily gauge where I want to be today.......

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    This is where I am, too. I am huge into college sports so obviously ESPN controls much of what I watch on TV. If it wasn't for that, I think I could go with local over-the-air plus internet plus netflix.

I did too, but I also only saw the Reds when Joe Garagiola & Tony Kubek had them on some Saturday afternoon. Also, I listened to 9-10 of my college football team's games on radio, with 1-2 televised during the year. Now, I can watch any game I want pretty much.

So how I grew up doesn't necessarily gauge where I want to be today.......
    No doubt... I have DirectTV myself and I ain't giving it up!!

Turn Off Ads?