Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of cable as we know it?

Re: The end of cable as we know it?

I broke out in laughter when I read the part about DirecTV standing up for the customers. This isn't about protecting the customers... it's about DTV trying to leverage down the price that Time Warner is asking. They're using the add-on option as leverage to do that.

That said, I don't really see how this is any different than a run of the mill situation we see half a dozen times a year with one channel or another. I do believe a la carte is coming at some point, but it won't happen until congress stops taking lobbyist money from the industry to keep the FCC regulations as such that MVPDs can't force these packages on consumers. Even when we do eventually get it, as others have mentioned, it's not likely to be the cost-cutting measure people talk about. The price per channel will go way up and most people will not save much (if any) money.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Likes:

REDREAD (04-23-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

A la carte will mean the death of 100+ small channels that no one watches but that you "have to" pay for now under a package. If 985 people nationwide order the Seventh Day Adventist Channel, it's not going to survive. I'm probably fine with that, free market and all.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The premise of this thread is far too optimistic. DirecTV doesn't want to sell service on an a la carte basis. If most people paid their cable/satellite provider only for the ~5 channels they watch, their bill would be maybe 20% of what it is now.

No business anywhere looks for ways to offer customers an 80% price cut. That is especially true of a business that has invested many millions of dollars over the years in ensuring that it is regulated as lightly as possible by the government.
    /r/reds

We're at least 10+ years away from any drastic change in cable TV pricing. The deals are long term and don't expire for a very long time across the entire nation. Same goes for blackouts, don't expect those to go away anytime soon. We need all of the media contracts to expire

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    A la carte will mean the death of 100+ small channels that no one watches but that you "have to" pay for now under a package. If 985 people nationwide order the Seventh Day Adventist Channel, it's not going to survive. I'm probably fine with that, free market and all.
    I doubt that's true. The 985 people that want to watch the Seventh Day Adventist channel will still pay for the channel at a higher rate. There might be some channels go under, but not as many as you probably think.

Let's take a hypothetical channel that is yielding 30 cents a month for 80 million subscribers currently ($24 million); Even if only 10 percent of those 80 million want to watch the channel, they'd only need to collect $3.00 a month (10 cents a day as they'd like to point out) in order to supplement the revenue. Not really a tall order IMHO.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Cablw tv as it stands now is like Blockbuster video from a few years back. They continue to try to squeeze money out of their existing market while not realizing the landscape is changing.

Pretty soon, they'll go one step too far in demanding money and the teeter-totter will tip the other way and they'll be a dinosaur in the tar pit.

Like a old boss told me "don't name your farm animals" i.e. don't fall in love with your products. Look for new stuff to obsolete them because that is what your competitors are doing right now.

Pay attention to the open sky

9. Likes:

757690 (04-18-2014), bagz (04-18-2014), KittyDuran (04-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Until they jacked up the price of the more popular channels so that having only the few more popular ones would end up
    costing the same as or more than having the entire package now. Maybe that would not be possible or I am too cynical, but I am not sure that a la carte would be much cheaper. The cable companies are not going to try to change their model in order to make less money after all.
    That seems to be the conventional wisdom. There are very few channels that I won't watch at all. Every once in a while there's a show on a particular channel that I don't watch that I am interested in.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

11. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-19-2014)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Cablw tv as it stands now is like Blockbuster video from a few years back. They continue to try to squeeze money out of their existing market while not realizing the landscape is changing.
    I disagree slightly. They know darn well the landscape is changing and they're fighting tool and nail to stop it. Comcast lobbies like heck to protect it's investments.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Cable TV is just like the land-line telephone and Blockbuster Video --> Obsolete. Cable TV will die a slow death as more and more people finally realize they don't need it.

I canceled my cable TV a while back and don't miss it at all. I use an antenna, a Roku box with Netflix, MLB.tv and sometimes Hulu+ and Amazon Prime. I get so many good tv shows that I could never watch everything I want to watch. I get 100,000 movies. I get all the baseball I can handle. I can watch all this programming not only on my TVs but also on my computer, my tablet and my phone anywhere I happen to be, not just at my house. It is much better than subscribing to cable or satellite TV and it costs half as much (or less).

In the near future nobody will care about TV channels anymore. You will be selecting individual tv shows rather than subscribing to channel packages. This will increase the amount of programming available because it will make it much cheaper and easier for companies and even individuals to produce shows. Companies won't have to produce full lineups of shows, but can produce just one show if they like. It opens up the "airwaves" to the masses to distribute their own content to hundreds of millions of consumers on the Internet.

The TV landscape is evolving rapidly and the cable companies are going to have to change their ways quickly or they will die out. They won't go to a la carte pricing because they want to, they will do it because they have to. Even that won't be enough to save them. Cable and satellite technology is old technology and is rapidly becoming obsolete. This isn't the 1980's anymore.

I'm wondering why HBO isn't a steaming service.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'm wondering why HBO isn't a steaming service.
    They do have a streaming service, HBO GO.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    And I feel fine.

We only get 10 channels- 5 are NH PBS, 4 are VT PBS, and the 10th is ABC. I watch a lot less than I used to.
    10 channels and 9 are PBS? I can understand why you watch less.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

17. Likes:

The Operator (04-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    10 channels and 9 are PBS? I can understand why you watch less.
    Yeah but I get all the Rick Steeves marathons a man could want.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    You lost me right there
    We joke about him, but that is a decent show. He's in the perfect place for him.
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/24/14. I promise.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    they are required to sign a contract stating they will not disclose the details to anyone....they also invite a handfull of other people but I am not sure of who they are and why they are there.....any how, on to the point of my post.....one of the 4 installers they invited was my cousin from (snip)
    If you're going to re-post info that's supposed to be under NDA on a public message board, you probably shouldn't include enough detail to make it possible to identify your cousin and get him fired.
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?