Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 609

Thread: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

  1. #106
    Member Chuckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,517

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure. That's on him though. If he was so worried about the runner stealing, he messed up by throwing breaking balls. If you are so worried about a runner, breaking balls are a terrible idea. It's just confusing on his part. Worry about the runner, then throw breaking balls. You can get away with that if Jay Bruce is on first. But not Hamilton. If you knew you were throwing breaking balls, why worry so much about holding him on? We are getting off topic some, but the logic there doesn't make much sense from Liriano. He should have thought it through some more.
    Haha. It's as if you don't understand the psychological effect an incredible baserunner can have on a pitcher. It's easy to say "It's on the pitcher though." No, it's because Billy is a menace once he gets on base and most pitchers in baseball would be distracted by him.

    Funny how you make fun of the notion that David Holmberg's 14.46 ERA is nothing to worry about because it's only April. But you have no trouble downplaying Hamilton's value during the same month.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,198

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Yes, the Reds had a higher OBP last year with Choo.
    But comparing the 2014 Reds strictly to the 2013 Reds is a bit of a fallacy.

    It's more important to compare their performance relative to the rest of the league for the current year. The 2014 Reds don't play games against the 2013 Reds.
    A lot of people are trying to make this about Choo vs. Hamilton because they miss Choo. I could just as easily say the difference between scoring this year vs last year, and OBP this year vs last year is Dusty Baker vs Bryan Price...

    Let that marinade for a second. It's time for us to start missing Dusty and fire up threads on why Price is an inferior manager ASAP.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

    Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

  4. #108
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    537

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Haha. It's as if you don't understand the psychological effect an incredible baserunner can have on a pitcher. It's easy to say "It's on the pitcher though." No, it's because Billy is a menace once he gets on base and most pitchers in baseball would be distracted by him.

    Funny how you make fun of the notion that David Holmberg's 14.46 ERA is nothing to worry about because it's only April. But you have no trouble downplaying Hamilton's value during the same month.
    It's easy to attribute Hamilton's speed as having an adverse affect on pitcher's but there's really been no empirical evidence that concludes so. Actually, the results have shown to be pretty negligible.

  5. #109
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,198

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    It's easy to attribute Hamilton's speed as having an adverse affect on pitcher's but there's really been no empirical evidence that concludes so. Actually, the results have shown to be pretty negligible.
    There must be TONS of data available on which to base that study on...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

    Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

  6. #110
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    537

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    There must be TONS of data available on which to base that study on...
    Here's one on fastball usage with SB threats.

    http://www.billjamesonline.com/stats72/

  7. #111
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,354

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    A lot of people are trying to make this about Choo vs. Hamilton because they miss Choo. I could just as easily say the difference between scoring this year vs last year, and OBP this year vs last year is Dusty Baker vs Bryan Price...
    Good lord.

  8. #112
    Chicks dig the wRC+ villain612's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,069

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    A lot of people are trying to make this about Choo vs. Hamilton because they miss Choo. I could just as easily say the difference between scoring this year vs last year, and OBP this year vs last year is Dusty Baker vs Bryan Price...
    Attachment 7014
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    At least the Reds are wearing camo so nobody can see how bad they're playing.

  9. #113
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,198

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    Here's one on fastball usage with SB threats.

    http://www.billjamesonline.com/stats72/
    So fastball usage is the only indicator? You don't think it affects a pitchers tempo and rhythm when he's constantly throwing over to first to hold the runner? That's obviously just one factor.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Good lord.
    Was kinda the point.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

    Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

  10. #114
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,936

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    People on Facebook are tearing apart Billy Hamilton because of his ugly swing today.
    What about those beauties Joey Votto takes several times a season? He just took one today in AB #2 while whiffing.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  11. #115
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,843

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    What about those beauties Joey Votto takes several times a season? He just took one today in AB #2 while whiffing.
    If Hamilton can hit like Votto not sure anyone will care.

    Except people talk about Votto's ugly swings quite often so never mind
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  12. #116
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,936

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If Hamilton can hit like Votto not sure anyone will care.

    Except people talk about Votto's ugly swings quite often so never mind
    Never mind exactly. Big Leaguers take ugly swings. Nothing to see here, but I guess since its "not ready for prime time" Billy Hamilton, its blowing up FB.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  13. #117
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,694

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    He may not be hitting but he has a 19.4 UZR/150 and he only costs $500K.

  14. Likes:

    malcontent (04-21-2014),REDREAD (04-21-2014)

  15. #118
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,694

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    Here's one on fastball usage with SB threats.

    http://www.billjamesonline.com/stats72/
    Yeah but there's a chasm of difference between "base-stealing threat" and Billy Hamilton. It's like analyzing every player that hit 20+ HRs then saying "aha, I find that pitchers don't change their approach that much for HR hitters, ergo nobody ever pitched around Barry Bonds in his prime." Tell me the percentage of fastballs thrown when Rickey Henderson, Vince Coleman and Lou Brock were on first base and I'll listen, because that's the league Billy Hamilton's in.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 04-21-2014 at 12:27 AM.

  16. Likes:

    Old school 1983 (04-21-2014)

  17. #119
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    37,329

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Yeah but there's a chasm of difference between "base-stealing threat" and Billy Hamilton. It's like analyzing every player that hit 20+ HRs then saying "aha, I find that pitchers don't change their approach that much for HR hitters, ergo nobody ever pitched around Barry Bonds in his prime." Tell me the percentage of fastballs thrown when Rickey Henderson, Vince Coleman and Lou Brock were on first base and I'll listen, because that's the league Billy Hamilton's in.
    Billy Hamilton isn't in some different world than guys like Mike Trout or Dee Gordon or Michael Bourne (a few years ago at least). The idea that Billy Hamilton is just so much faster than everyone else in baseball is one of the biggest misnomers going around. He is less than a tenth of a second faster than the other fastest dudes in the game. Your eyes can't even tell. If you weren't told he was timed faster and had to choose between him and Dee Gordon on who is faster, a lot of people would pick Gordon because you can't actually tell by simply watching them run unless they are racing each other.

  18. #120
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,694

    Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Billy Hamilton isn't in some different world than guys like Mike Trout or Dee Gordon or Michael Bourne (a few years ago at least). The idea that Billy Hamilton is just so much faster than everyone else in baseball is one of the biggest misnomers going around. He is less than a tenth of a second faster than the other fastest dudes in the game. Your eyes can't even tell. If you weren't told he was timed faster and had to choose between him and Dee Gordon on who is faster, a lot of people would pick Gordon because you can't actually tell by simply watching them run unless they are racing each other.
    The Bill James stat I responded to used 30+ steals as it's demarker. Yes, Hamilton's in a different world than that. He's an elite baserunner, one of the fastest ever, so that stat is useless.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25