Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

You can listen to the entire thing here, and the Reds specific stuff begins at about 30 minutes in and goes through the next 20 minutes, including an interview with Bryan Price.

Ravech gets his turn to talk about Billy Hamilton, and I am paraphrasing here:

"doesn't present a great challenge for any pitcher that has skill"
    "currently unable to hit fastballs or any breaking balls, where are we led to believe he can figure that out"
    "If I were in Bryan Price's shoes, privately, I would be worrying that this experiment isn't going to work"

Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

And?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    And?
    let's hope he is wrong --
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

I'd kinda like to see him stop trying to bunt for a hit. That (amongst other things) just doesn't seem to be working.

5. Likes:

traderumor (04-18-2014)

Well it's currently tough to argue with the first point. I don't think any pitchers get nervous about Hamilton until he is actually on first base. But to push back on Ravech, why shouldn't we believe that he can figure the hitting out? He's young and he's never faced this level of competition before. He's likely never going to be an amazing hitter, but he has improved as he has come up through the minors, so there is reason to believe that he can do that in Cincinnati. He may need to spend some time in AAA, but I'm not nearly as worried as Ravech seems to be

7. Likes:

marcshoe (04-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You can listen to the entire thing here, and the Reds specific stuff begins at about 30 minutes in and goes through the next 20 minutes, including an interview with Bryan Price.

Ravech gets his turn to talk about Billy Hamilton, and I am paraphrasing here:

"doesn't present a great challenge for any pitcher that has skill"
    "currently unable to hit fastballs or any breaking balls, where are we led to believe he can figure that out"
    "If I were in Bryan Price's shoes, privately, I would be worrying that this experiment isn't going to work"
    I can't believe that Ravech destroys Shelby Miller by saying that he doesn't have any skill.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

9. Likes:

Beltway (04-19-2014),Larkin Fan (04-18-2014),LexRedsFan (04-24-2014),M2 (04-18-2014),marcshoe (04-18-2014),OnBaseMachine (04-18-2014),powersackers (04-18-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (04-18-2014)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I've got a lot of faith in Hamilton's hitting.

I do agree with what someone here mentioned about him faking bunt and taking too many strikes, though.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

On Hamilton, from what I see his early struggles are tied to his patient approach - which is good. I'd rather he watch a few fastballs early on in the season and, like Price mentions, get a feel for how people are pitching him. Billy's an astute player. He will start to emerge at some point and he'll definitely improve on his fastball hitting by then.

12. Likes:

M2 (04-18-2014),Old school 1983 (04-18-2014),Rojo (04-18-2014)

cant say that I disagree with any of that??? Billy has not showed me that he can make the needed adjustments yet.....in that same regard, we need to see him for an entire year before we can truly make those statements and have them hold any weight.....Billy has been over matched, but billy has also seen some of the national leagues best pitchers in his first month....

with that said, I can live it if he continues to give us above average defense in CF and he continues to give pitchers fits while on the base paths...lets revisit this thread in 4 months

14. Likes:

bagz (04-18-2014)

Ravech gets kind of cranky a lot...he didn't used to seem that way to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Ravech gets kind of cranky a lot...he didn't used to seem that way to me.
    Get off my lawn!

While I don't believe spring training is proof of anything, I do believe it showed that Billy Hamilton is more than capable of hitting a fastball. It's the off-speed stuff he has issues with, like most young players.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-23-2014),Old school 1983 (04-18-2014),REDREAD (04-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    While I don't believe spring training is proof of anything, I do believe it showed that Billy Hamilton is more than capable of hitting a fastball. It's the off-speed stuff he has issues with, like most young players.
    Is pitching easier to hit in ST?

I know guys like Votto use it to work on their craft, so their numbers aren't always good, but it just seems like a lot of Punch and Judy hitters rake in the spring .

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Is pitching easier to hit in ST?
    Yes, it is. Guys aren't throwing as hard in March as they are in April (nor are they throwing as hard in April as they are in May). They also aren't working on certain things. They are locating their pitches better in April.

He hasn't even had 70 at-bats in the majors yet. To make any kind of judgment at this point can't have any validity as far as I'm concerned.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (04-21-2014)

Turn Off Ads?