Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    A 10th of a second is the difference between Olympic Gold Medal's and perhaps nothing. Sprinters, runners, swimmers, etc train their tails off for those minuscule tenth's. You know what a 10th of a second is, the difference between a good and bad tag. Its the difference between taking the ball out cleanly and having to spend a little extra time finding the seems of the baseball. Its the difference between a good break and an average break to cover 1st by the pitcher.

Take a look at a stolen base and all the components that go into catching Hamilton speeding. A pitcher is more likely to throw a fastball with Hamilton on base in order to save hundredths of a second. How much attention does he pay to make sure that he can shorten Hamilton's lead. Then you need a fast pitch, a quick catch and release by the catcher, a throw on line, and then a quick tag in order to have a chance to nab Hamilton. You know when tenths of a second matter, when the opposing team is worrying about hundredths.
    I understand what you are trying to say with the whole timing thing, but here is my point. Billy Hamilton, Dee Gordon, Michael Bourne in his prime.... if they got a decent jump, their speed was so good that between the time to the plate and the catchers pop time, they there really isn't a way to catch them. Sure, perhaps Hamilton is a fraction of a tenth of a second faster than they are over that 90 feet (well, less because they are all leading off), but the point remains the same. If those guys get a decent jump there really isn't anything the combo can do to keep them from stealing the bag. Guys ARE in the same realm as Hamilton when it comes to that.

Hitters in the same realm as Bonds? Not until you go to Williams and Ruth. That is the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a fun question for everyone.

What is the breaking point for moving Billy Hamilton down in the lineup? What does his OBP need to be and on what date do you finally say that enough is enough if he doesn't improve it?

2. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (04-21-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

What is the breaking point for moving Billy Hamilton down in the lineup? What does his OBP need to be and on what date do you finally say that enough is enough if he doesn't improve it?
    If he doesn't have an OBP over .275 by the end of May it'd probably be worth it to move him down in the lineup IMO.

Billy shouldn't be leading off at all.

Put the four best offensive players in the tip four spots.

That isn't Billy yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

That isn't Billy yet.

I don't know.. You don't want all of those slow guys with high OBPs clogging the bases....

Quote Originally Posted by RedsLvr View Post
    I don't know.. You don't want all of those slow guys with high OBPs clogging the bases....

I love base cloggers and lollygaggers

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I understand what you are trying to say with the whole timing thing, but here is my point. Billy Hamilton, Dee Gordon, Michael Bourne in his prime.... if they got a decent jump, their speed was so good that between the time to the plate and the catchers pop time, they there really isn't a way to catch them. Sure, perhaps Hamilton is a fraction of a tenth of a second faster than they are over that 90 feet (well, less because they are all leading off), but the point remains the same. If those guys get a decent jump there really isn't anything the combo can do to keep them from stealing the bag. Guys ARE in the same realm as Hamilton when it comes to that.

Hitters in the same realm as Bonds? Not until you go to Williams and Ruth. That is the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

He wouldn't bat lead off for me until he could prove that he makes an out less than 67% of the time. Until then, he bats seventh. It might take two years to convince me because I'm pig headed and don't care much about "speed".
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

9. Likes:

Raisor (04-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsLvr View Post
    Because the Reds are a team full of high OBP guys?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

11. Likes:

M2 (04-21-2014),REDREAD (04-21-2014)

That isn't Billy yet.
    Joey Votto says Billy Hamilton offers him protection. Joey Votto sees more fastballs hitting 2nd with Billy Hamilton on base. Every time Billy Hamilton reaches base Joey Votto will be up next.

I like those odds.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (04-21-2014),reds44 (04-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I'm pig headed and don't care much about "speed".
    Your parents shouldn't have named you wheels.

Joey Votto says Billy Hamilton offers him protection. Joey Votto sees more fastballs hitting 2nd with Billy Hamilton on base. Every time Billy Hamilton reaches base Joey Votto will be up next.

I like those odds.
    Unfortunately unless Billy gets on more, Joey won't get that benefit.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Some just don't learn!!!

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    It's none of your business. You hear me?
    Wow. Things got out of hand quickly.

Wow. Things got out of hand quickly.
    Did you see junkhead? He killed a guy with a trident!
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

19. Likes:

elfmanvt07 (04-21-2014),M2 (04-21-2014),powersackers (04-21-2014),Raisor (04-21-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (04-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Did you see junkhead? He killed a guy with a trident!
    I love lamp.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I like those odds.
    58.3% last year for Votto on fastballs, 56.2% for his career. So far this season (for the full season, not just with Billy on base), 63.2%. Random variance? Maybe. But it is certainly worth keeping an eye on moving forward.

22. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-21-2014),reds44 (04-21-2014)

Turn Off Ads?