Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Actually the question is would the 2014 reds be best served by Hamilton learning at AAA instead of making outs in major league games. The answer lies in whether or not you believe the Reds have a better alternative for CF. I think a Skippy/Heisey platoon would contribute more run production and the Reds would be better off without Hamilton in the line-up. There is still plenty for him to learn at AAA. There may be a time when he's mastered AAA and the only way for him to improve is to face major league pitching, but I don't think he's close to there yet, so the decision to put him in the line-up shouldn't be about his development, it should be about who gives the Reds the best chance to win. I don't think that's Hamilton at this point.
    I tend to agree with you there mth. I realize it's still very early in the season (small window), but what I've seen of Hamilton at the plate isn't impressive. And I'm starting to tire of all the waving of the bat (fake bunt attempts).

.318 .425 .470 .895

Guess whose numbers those are?

Choo.

I don't want to start another Choo discussion. At least not to any great degree. But simply stated - this FO somehow "deluded" themselves, for what ever reason(s)... and some fans too ... in thinking (rationalizing) that losing Choo (production) wouldn't be so bad to this team in 2014, could be offset to a certain degree (not as disastrous), IF Hamilton, due to his exceptional speed on the base paths, could match just a fraction of Choo's numbers.

Subjectively - the loss of Choo, especially at lead-off, is going to weaken this offense this year. Unless some other players step up.

And that doesn't mean we can't contend, aren't going to be a competitive team... but, at least in my mind, it puts a huge question mark on this team that will only be answered as the season progresses.

Last .... we all understand it's April (and early). A lot of hitters, even established ones, struggle during this month. That's pretty much a given. And it very well could be that, as time (season) progresses, Hamilton will start to show some improvement. I'm not discounting that.

But he better.

.214 .254 .286 .540

If he is still putting up numbers similar to these, or even just a very slight improvement, say by the end of June, then this FO needs to do some "rethinking" IMO. Because at some point it's gonna start getting in that kid's head.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-20-2014 at 05:12 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

In a universe where the reds could have afforded choo, I might have been ok with Hamilton making the team and playing cf, because it would have allowed choo to go to lf, and Hamilton to bat 8th or 9th and infrequently tableset in front of choo while improving the team defense.

In this universe, i still think Hamilton in AAA would have been the better route.

Reds CFers are currently 15th out of 15 in OPS (NL only)

Bright side: there is room for improvement!
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Last edited by junkhead; 04-20-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Through 17 games 2014: 66 RS, 60 RA
    Through 17 games 2013: 93 RS, 65 RA

Maybe there's something to this Choo vs. Hamilton thing?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Through 17 games 2014: 66 RS, 60 RA
    Through 17 games 2013: 93 RS, 65 RA

Maybe there's something to this Choo vs. Hamilton thing?
    It's also not helping that our shortstop is "hitting" .111/.143/.148.

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

I really like Choo and wish he was still on our team.

But not at 7 years, $130 million (he turns 32 this year).
    Last edited by villain612; 04-20-2014 at 10:46 AM.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

9. Likes:

malcontent (04-21-2014), Old school 1983 (04-20-2014), REDREAD (04-21-2014), Wonderful Monds (04-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post

FWIW....currently, as a team, the Reds rank 12th in the NL in total runs, but 3rd in OBP.

It seems like hitting with RISP is more of a problem right now than OBP. No?
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

11. Likes:

REDREAD (04-21-2014)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

It's 3 weeks in to the season. Billy Hamilton has less than 100 career major league PA. Just wanted to remind people.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

13. Likes:

markymark69 (04-20-2014), Old school 1983 (04-20-2014), REDblooded (04-20-2014), Screwball (04-20-2014), Wonderful Monds (04-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    FWIW....currently, as a team, the Reds rank 12th in the NL in total runs, but 3rd in OBP.

It seems like hitting with RISP is more of a problem right now than OBP. No?
    Through 17 games 2014: .319 OBP
    Through 17 games 2013: .346 OBP

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/200...your-lineup-by
    Another way to look at things is to order the batting slots by the leveraged value of the out. In plain English (sort of), we want to know how costly making an out is by each lineup position, based on the base-out situations they most often find themselves in, and then weighted by how often each lineup spot comes to the plate. Here's how the lineup spots rank in the importance of avoiding outs:

#1, #4, #2, #5, #3, #6, #7, #8, #9

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    It's not about April. He hasn't hit since AA. I'm a huge doubter and it has nothing to do with what he's done in 3 weeks in April. It has everything to do with the fact that he couldn't hit when promoted to the higher level and was then promoted again in spite of it. Watching him flail away is reinforcing what his AAA numbers are showing.

He had 4 hits today. I still contend that any random minor leaguer can be given an every day job in the big leagues and have a good day every 10 to 15 games or so. He starts getting on base regularly and I'll reconsider my opinion, but characterizing things as being based on 3 weeks in April is incorrect. He was a suspect going into the off-season and had things been handled properly, somebody else would have been brought in as a stopgap CF and Hamilton would have entered Spring Training with zero chance at a big league job. A couple good months in AAA would get him a look and strengthen the roster by making the stopgap a bench player.
    Hamilton didn't fail in AAA, he just didn't dominate like he did in other minor league seasons. If he puts up those same AAA numbers in the majors, with his speed and defense, he's very close to a league average CF. And guess what? Since his first three games, he's put up those numbers here in the bigs. Or, to look at another way, his career MLB numbers are also very similar.

Hamilton hasn't had just one good game every ten days. For the past two weeks, he's gotten on base in 8 of his last 10 games, at the .304 clip every one was expecting. For his MLB career, he's gotten on base in 12 out his last 15 games. Those first three games are skewing everyone's perspective. Hamilton is producing as expected.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Through 17 games 2014: .319 OBP
    Through 17 games 2013: .346 OBP

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/200...your-lineup-by
    Yes, the Reds had a higher OBP last year with Choo.
    But comparing the 2014 Reds strictly to the 2013 Reds is a bit of a fallacy.

It's more important to compare their performance relative to the rest of the league for the current year. The 2014 Reds don't play games against the 2013 Reds.
    Last edited by villain612; 04-20-2014 at 11:23 AM.

17. Likes:

Raisor (04-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    The 2014 Reds don't play games against the 2013 Reds.

Which saves Cozart the embarrassment of going 0-10 in a game.

19. Likes:

malcontent (04-21-2014), RedTeamGo! (04-20-2014)

Mesoraco's vast improvement over Hanigan should offset the downgrade from Choo to Hamilton.

And since we're ready to write off Billy due to a poor April, I suppose Mesoraco for MVP is a legit possibility.

21. Likes:

Big Klu (04-20-2014), REDblooded (04-20-2014), REDREAD (04-21-2014), SirFelixCat (04-20-2014), Wonderful Monds (04-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    Which saves Cozart the embarrassment of going 0-10 in a game.
    He'd probably get a homer off Ondrusek or Hoover at least.

23. Likes:

Ironman92 (04-20-2014), Marc D (04-20-2014)

Turn Off Ads?