Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

In a universe where the reds could have afforded choo, I might have been ok with Hamilton making the team and playing cf, because it would have allowed choo to go to lf, and Hamilton to bat 8th or 9th and infrequently tableset in front of choo while improving the team defense.

In this universe, i still think Hamilton in AAA would have been the better route.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds CFers are currently 15th out of 15 in OPS (NL only)

Bright side: there is room for improvement!

Through 17 games 2014: 66 RS, 60 RA
    Through 17 games 2013: 93 RS, 65 RA

Maybe there's something to this Choo vs. Hamilton thing?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Through 17 games 2014: 66 RS, 60 RA
    Through 17 games 2013: 93 RS, 65 RA

Maybe there's something to this Choo vs. Hamilton thing?
    It's also not helping that our shortstop is "hitting" .111/.143/.148.

I really like Choo and wish he was still on our team.

But not at 7 years, $130 million (he turns 32 this year).
    Last edited by villain612; 04-20-2014 at 10:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

7. Likes:

malcontent (04-21-2014),Old school 1983 (04-20-2014),REDREAD (04-21-2014),Wonderful Monds (04-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post

FWIW....currently, as a team, the Reds rank 12th in the NL in total runs, but 3rd in OBP.

It seems like hitting with RISP is more of a problem right now than OBP. No?

9. Likes:

REDREAD (04-21-2014)

It's 3 weeks in to the season. Billy Hamilton has less than 100 career major league PA. Just wanted to remind people.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

11. Likes:

markymark69 (04-20-2014),Old school 1983 (04-20-2014),REDblooded (04-20-2014),Screwball (04-20-2014),Wonderful Monds (04-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    It's not about April. He hasn't hit since AA. I'm a huge doubter and it has nothing to do with what he's done in 3 weeks in April. It has everything to do with the fact that he couldn't hit when promoted to the higher level and was then promoted again in spite of it. Watching him flail away is reinforcing what his AAA numbers are showing.

He had 4 hits today. I still contend that any random minor leaguer can be given an every day job in the big leagues and have a good day every 10 to 15 games or so. He starts getting on base regularly and I'll reconsider my opinion, but characterizing things as being based on 3 weeks in April is incorrect. He was a suspect going into the off-season and had things been handled properly, somebody else would have been brought in as a stopgap CF and Hamilton would have entered Spring Training with zero chance at a big league job. A couple good months in AAA would get him a look and strengthen the roster by making the stopgap a bench player.
    Hamilton didn't fail in AAA, he just didn't dominate like he did in other minor league seasons. If he puts up those same AAA numbers in the majors, with his speed and defense, he's very close to a league average CF. And guess what? Since his first three games, he's put up those numbers here in the bigs. Or, to look at another way, his career MLB numbers are also very similar.

Hamilton hasn't had just one good game every ten days. For the past two weeks, he's gotten on base in 8 of his last 10 games, at the .304 clip every one was expecting. For his MLB career, he's gotten on base in 12 out his last 15 games. Those first three games are skewing everyone's perspective. Hamilton is producing as expected.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Through 17 games 2014: .319 OBP
    Through 17 games 2013: .346 OBP

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/200...your-lineup-by
    Yes, the Reds had a higher OBP last year with Choo.
    But comparing the 2014 Reds strictly to the 2013 Reds is a bit of a fallacy.

It's more important to compare their performance relative to the rest of the league for the current year. The 2014 Reds don't play games against the 2013 Reds.
    Last edited by villain612; 04-20-2014 at 11:23 AM.

14. Likes:

Raisor (04-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    The 2014 Reds don't play games against the 2013 Reds.

Which saves Cozart the embarrassment of going 0-10 in a game.

16. Likes:

malcontent (04-21-2014),RedTeamGo! (04-20-2014)

Mesoraco's vast improvement over Hanigan should offset the downgrade from Choo to Hamilton.

And since we're ready to write off Billy due to a poor April, I suppose Mesoraco for MVP is a legit possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    Which saves Cozart the embarrassment of going 0-10 in a game.
    He'd probably get a homer off Ondrusek or Hoover at least.

19. Likes:

Ironman92 (04-20-2014),Marc D (04-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It's 3 weeks in to the season. Billy Hamilton has less than 100 career major league PA. Just wanted to remind people.
    I hope that's sarcasm because we've been reminded of that about every 8 posts since the thread started.

And yeah, I actually did run the numbers on that. ;-)
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure. That's on him though. If he was so worried about the runner stealing, he messed up by throwing breaking balls. If you are so worried about a runner, breaking balls are a terrible idea. It's just confusing on his part. Worry about the runner, then throw breaking balls. You can get away with that if Jay Bruce is on first. But not Hamilton. If you knew you were throwing breaking balls, why worry so much about holding him on? We are getting off topic some, but the logic there doesn't make much sense from Liriano. He should have thought it through some more.
    Hamilton is so disruptive he confuses pitchers into throwing the wrong pitch.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

22. Likes:

Chuckie (04-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Hamilton didn't fail in AAA, he just didn't dominate like he did in other minor league seasons. If he puts up those same AAA numbers in the majors, with his speed and defense, he's very close to a league average CF. And guess what? Since his first three games, he's put up those numbers here in the bigs. Or, to look at another way, his career MLB numbers are also very similar.

Hamilton hasn't had just one good game every ten days. For the past two weeks, he's gotten on base in 8 of his last 10 games, at the .304 clip every one was expecting. For his MLB career, he's gotten on base in 12 out his last 15 games. Those first three games are skewing everyone's perspective. Hamilton is producing as expected.
    Tablesetter/lead-off hitter with a .308 OBP against AAA pitching. That's failing and not worthy of a promotion to the same role in the major leagues.

I'm not one of those posters who says he'd be happy with Hamilton at a .300 OBP. I think that would be grounds for him being sent to AAA. He has a .254 OBP and his .304 in the last 10 days is even a smaller sample size and basically doesn't change the impression that the .308 in AAA is an anomaly and that we should expect better. It reinforces that he's a minor leaguer who isn't ready.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?