Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Injury updates- Phillips, Marshall, Chapman, Schumaker

Reds Injury updates- Phillips, Marshall, Chapman, Schumaker

For those who did not venture into the game thread:
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...me-back-spasms
    CHICAGO -- Cincinnati Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips left Friday's game against the Chicago Cubs because of back spasms.

Phillips appeared to get hurt swinging and missing during in the first inning. After a visit from manager Bryan Price and a trainer, Phillips singled.

Phillips struck out in the third, and the Reds said they replaced him with Ramon Santiago in the bottom half as a precaution.
    Hopefully he will get some heat and treatment, avoid photo-bombing anyone, and be better in a day or two. the cold weather today could not have helped if he tweaked his back.
    Last edited by klw; 04-18-2014 at 06:24 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Injury updates- Phillips, Marshall, Chapman, Schumaker

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin
    Aroldis Chapman threw his second bullpen session on Thursday and it had good results, Reds manager Bryan Price said. He has been given the green light to participate in pitcher's fielding practice and pitch in live batting practice. ...Price said. "I know there was a question asked when we're at home about, 'When is he going to be capable of doing [pitcher's fielding practice] and doing anything on the field where he could be in harms way?' And he's been given the green light to do all that. Our concern initially was anything that might come up and bounce and hit him in the face, and if he would be at a higher risk for further injury, and he's been given the clearance on that. So he's a full-go in the regard. ..."I don't know if we can really answer that question until he goes out and faces hitters in a game situation," Price said. "That could be here in the next 10 to 12, 14 days that we see that, but I guess everybody's different.
    Sean Marshall
    Marshall said. "I threw a bunch of games in Arizona down there, and then extended spring. I was pitching just about every other day down there, so just feeling good bouncing back nice. Had back-to-back appearances in Louisville Tuesday and Wednesday -- those felt good, arm strength was good, ball was spinning well and I felt good. I had yesterday off, and I don't know what the plan is for this weekend." Manager Bryan Price said Marshall could debut at some point during the Cubs series.
    Skip Schumaker
    • Outfielder Skip Schumaker is with the team in Chicago, the first time this season he's joined the Reds for a road trip. Schumaker, who is recovering from a dislocated shoulder suffered March 21, has started to swing the bat. "He's not quite ready to play in games yet, he's still doing a lot of work on getting his shoulder at full strength and getting all the soreness out," Price said. "He's getting better every day. He went from hitting off the tee to getting in the cages and swinging the bat. He's able to take ground balls, he's going [through] all of his throwing stuff, his running. So it's a real positive step."
    Last edited by klw; 04-18-2014 at 06:24 PM. Reason: I hope skip returns so I can learn how to spell his name

4. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (04-19-2014)

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

My question is who gets sent down (or released) when these guys are ready? Schumaker would mean Santiago, Soto, or Bernadina goes...I'm guessing Bernadina, but Soto might be a possibility since he has options.
    When Marshall is ready it's either Christiani or Ondrusek. I'd prefer losing Ondrusek, but I don't know if he has any options left. Regardless, when Aroldis is ready they'll both be gone anyway. Our bullpen should be pretty crowded when Latos, Chapman, and Marshall are all back. I wonder if they might trade Simon or Lecure for a bat? Then again, hoover has had a really bad beginning so they might even send him down even though he's kind of a proven commodity.
    Any thoughts?

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    My question is who gets sent down (or released) when these guys are ready? Schumaker would mean Santiago, Soto, or Bernadina goes...I'm guessing Bernadina, but Soto might be a possibility since he has options.
    When Marshall is ready it's either Christiani or Ondrusek. I'd prefer losing Ondrusek, but I don't know if he has any options left. Regardless, when Aroldis is ready they'll both be gone anyway. Our bullpen should be pretty crowded when Latos, Chapman, and Marshall are all back. I wonder if they might trade Simon or Lecure for a bat? Then again, hoover has had a really bad beginning so they might even send him down even though he's kind of a proven commodity.
    Any thoughts?
    I'd send Hamilton down when Schumaker comes back. Partch went down today for Marshall. I'd deal Ondrusek for a PTBNL when Chappy returns.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Marshall now up - Partch down
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Phillips was moving around today like his back was still bothering him. I really hope this isn't a play through it type of injury, where 6 weeks down the line it comes out he's been hurt the whole time.

9. Likes:

malcontent (04-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Phillips was moving around today like his back was still bothering him. I really hope this isn't a play through it type of injury, where 6 weeks down the line it comes out he's been hurt the whole time.
    I thought about that, too. Sometimes you help the team more by taking a couple days to fully heal. When Santiago is your likely replacement, though, that can be hard to see.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Turn Off Ads?