Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Gammons: Bench tore cover off the ball in 75 WS

Ex-Tree

Gammons: Bench tore cover off the ball in 75 WS

After a Brewer tore the cover off the ball in last night's game with Pittsburgh, Peter Gammons mentioned on Twitter this morning that Bench did the same thing in game 7 of the 75 World Series. Says it kept the Sox from completing a double play, which led to the historic Perez blast off the Bill Lee eephus pitch. Has anyone heard that story before?
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Gammons: Bench tore cover off the ball in 75 WS

For those who don't know what Rex Argos is talking about....here it is.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/1149321...r-off-the-ball

Unreal.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

I'm thinking Roy Hobbs.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Red Sox Nation: Always with the excuses.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

6. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (04-19-2014)

From an ESPN article:

An out later, Bench pulled a Lee sinker into the ground for what appeared to be an inning-ending double play to Burleson. "There are some things you just can't allow to happen," said Rose. "At that moment, a double play was one of them." He sent himself into a kamikaze orbit toward Doyle. "He saw me coming for ten feet in the air," Rose later chortled. "I made sure of it." He wanted his take-out slides to go to Cooperstown with his base-hit records.

Doyle had another problem besides Rose. The baseballs used then were made in Haiti, and once in a while the force of the bat would literally tear the cover off a ball. "The cover had almost entirely torn off when Bench hit it," Doyle revealed the next spring. "When I went to get rid of it to first, it just flew out of my hand." Utility infielder Bobby Heise retrieved the ball in the dugout, an unenviable trophy that Doyle would keep. The only postseason opportunity of Doyle's career was not one bathed in heroics, for he had lost another Bench double-play ball in the whiteness of Bench's uniform in game five.
    Perez then hit his HR off of Lee who was told not to throw any junk to Perez.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

8. Likes:

Always Red (04-19-2014), Old school 1983 (04-19-2014)

Bench hit is at 1:24:22.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NXPJK4FO7Hg

10. Likes:

Always Red (04-22-2014), Falcon7 (04-21-2014)

That's neat to read. I spoke to Denny Doyle on the phone this past Summer. He's a friend of the family through a cousin of my Dad's. He runs a baseball school in Florida and was kind to give me some tips for dealing with college/pro scouts that are scouting my stepson.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Didn't look like the cover came off to me.

Look at the first toss from the SS to the 2B... You can see the cover flapping open.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Check out the George Foster AB that follows Perez' HR (two batters after Bench). He and Bill Lee play head games with each other. Lee tries to quick-pitch (to an extent) and Foster keeps calling time and stepping out. One time the umpire allows the pitch and calls it a strike while Foster is standing outside the batters box. Foster calls time before the 1st pitch a couple/few times. Then Lee's 1st pitch almost hits Foster and George glares (and might say something) to Lee. And guess what? The umpire did not run in between and act like a WWE ref as they do today. Different era of course.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Turn Off Ads?