Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 413

Thread: Enough of Zach Cozart?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    95

    Enough of Zach Cozart?

    While I try to stay positive, it seems the ship has sailed on the Reds anemic hitting shortstop. We spent far too many seasons watching and waiting on the whiffing Drew Stubbs to turn it around to not become a bit sick to our stomachs watching another bad movie in Cozart. The man is 28 and he is what he is. A non-hitting shortstop on a team with 3 consistent hitters. Moving Hamilton to short and placing Heisey in CF would provide some offense that this team lacks.

  2. Likes:

    mu4103 (05-14-2014)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,046

    Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

    Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    While I try to stay positive, it seems the ship has sailed on the Reds anemic hitting shortstop. We spent far too many seasons watching and waiting on the whiffing Drew Stubbs to turn it around to not become a bit sick to our stomachs watching another bad movie in Cozart. The man is 28 and he is what he is. A non-hitting shortstop on a team with 3 consistent hitters. Moving Hamilton to short and placing Heisey in CF would provide some offense that this team lacks.
    Hamilton is not a SS, that ship has truly sailed.

    A week of BHam at SS for the Reds, and you'd be begging for Cozart again.

  5. Likes:

    Cursh14 (04-20-2014), dougdirt (04-19-2014), Larkin Fan (04-19-2014), marcshoe (04-19-2014), mth123 (04-20-2014), PepperJack (04-19-2014), Razor Shines (04-19-2014), Redeyecat (04-19-2014), The Operator (04-20-2014), Trajinous (04-19-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (04-19-2014)

  6. #3
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,466

    Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

    I don't want Hamilton's legs anywhere near a runner sliding to breakup a double play. Cozart isn't the answer at short but neither is Billy.

  7. Likes:

    dougdirt (04-19-2014), Old school 1983 (04-19-2014), PepperJack (04-19-2014)

  8. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    95

    Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

    I doubt I would ever be begging for a return of Cozart.

  9. #5
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,046

    Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

    Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    I doubt I would ever be begging for a return of Cozart.
    How about if you had a SS who made 35-40 errors a year? Cozart has had 14 each of the last two years.

    I'd also like an upgrade offensively from the SS position, but I don't think BHam is the answer.

  10. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    95

    Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    How about if you had a SS who made 35-40 errors a year? Cozart has had 14 each of the last two years.

    I'd also like an upgrade offensively from the SS position, but I don't think BHam is the answer.
    You act as if Cozart is a Gold Glove shortstop, which he is not. If this team had a 1 through 6 line up of proven hitters, then maybe we could afford Cozart batting his weight. We do not have that however, but we have little options aside from Hamilton.

  11. #7
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,371

    Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

    Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    You act as if Cozart is a Gold Glove shortstop, which he is not. If this team had a 1 through 6 line up of proven hitters, then maybe we could afford Cozart batting his weight. We do not have that however, but we have little options aside from Hamilton.
    So benching Cozart and starting BHam at short and putting Heisey in center puts a proven hitter in our lineup? Hamilton is even worse than Cozart is, and Heisey hasn't proven he's an every day player. Sure, we'd all like an upgrade at short with the bat. So would 90-95% of other MLB teams, however.

  12. Likes:

    919191 (04-20-2014), Always Red (04-19-2014), dougdirt (04-19-2014), dubc47834 (04-19-2014), Mike Honcho (04-20-2014), PepperJack (04-19-2014), Redeyecat (04-19-2014), RedlegJake (04-19-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (04-19-2014)

  13. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    95

    Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

    Hamilton has upside, Cozart doesn't.

  14. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    199

    Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    How about if you had a SS who made 35-40 errors a year? Cozart has had 14 each of the last two years.

    I'd also like an upgrade offensively from the SS position, but I don't think BHam is the answer.
    What Always Red said. Hamilton is a supreme liability at SS, the Reds organization had him stuck in Bakersfield (high 'A') trying to get him to become a SS. That experiment has ended and rightly so. JMHO

    Cozart is what he is, an above average fielder and a below average hitter. The Reds can thrive with him in the lineup but as stated earlier, others have got to start hitting. BH will figure out MLB pitching sooner rather than later and Bruce and Frazier will not be hitting at the Mendoza line all season. Chillax and step away from the ledge - Cozart isn't Larkin but there are a LOT worse options out there.

  15. Likes:

    Always Red (04-19-2014), dwyerbrg (04-21-2014), REDREAD (04-21-2014)

  16. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    95

    Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

    Quote Originally Posted by NCCardfan View Post
    What Always Red said. Hamilton is a supreme liability at SS, the Reds organization had him stuck in Bakersfield (high 'A') trying to get him to become a SS. That experiment has ended and rightly so. JMHO

    Cozart is what he is, an above average fielder and a below average hitter. The Reds can thrive with him in the lineup but as stated earlier, others have got to start hitting. BH will figure out MLB pitching sooner rather than later and Bruce and Frazier will not be hitting at the Mendoza line all season. Chillax and step away from the ledge - Cozart isn't Larkin but there are a LOT worse options out there.
    Explain to me how you can do worse than a .150 hitting shortstop?

  17. #11
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,447

    Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I don't want Hamilton's legs anywhere near a runner sliding to breakup a double play.
    This. After seeing his legs in person last season, I came away feeling certain that my arms are thicker than his legs. And I don't have especially thick arms.

    Those legs of his need to be kept far away from collisions on the basepaths.
    /r/reds

  18. #12
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,046

    Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

    Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    You act as if Cozart is a Gold Glove shortstop, which he is not. If this team had a 1 through 6 line up of proven hitters, then maybe we could afford Cozart batting his weight. We do not have that however, but we have little options aside from Hamilton.
    Strawman. I never said Cozart was GG, it's not black or white, there are shades of grey. But Cozart is a major league SS. No way BHam can play the position.

  19. Likes:

    Redeyecat (04-19-2014)

  20. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,373

    Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

    We don't have a better option...so until then this is moot.

  21. Likes:

    GAC (04-28-2014)

  22. #14
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,150

    Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

    There are other options besides Hamilton, who, I agree, is in the OF for good.

    If your organization doesn't have a single other guy who can field the ball well at SS and hit better than a typical starting pitcher, that's a bad sign.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  23. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    95

    Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Strawman. I never said Cozart was GG, it's not black or white, there are shades of grey. But Cozart is a major league SS. No way BHam can play the position.
    We are going to have to agree to disagree on Cozart being a major league SS.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25