Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Enough of Zach Cozart?

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Enough of Zach Cozart?

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Cabrera posted a WAR under 2 last year and his defense is declining. Giving up resources to replace Cozart with Cabrera is a step back.
    He's only 28. I'd venture the bat comes back around. I agree that the defense would take something of a hit.

One more argument for targeting Didi, IMO.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Cabrera posted a WAR under 2 last year and his defense is declining. Giving up resources to replace Cozart with Cabrera is a step back.
    Most likely true. Certainly true about his defense, but it's still acceptable IMO. The question is his bat. Considering how much he's owed...I'd pass. But I STILL inquire with the Indians about dealing for one of their SS farm-hands. They've got an over-abundance and almost certainly willing to deal.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

4. Likes:

Redeyecat (04-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    When Davey came up he couldn't hit his way out of a wet bag. He became a decent hitter and I think it as due to the guys around him on that great team.

I said he was a terrible hitter when he came up (70-72).

He became a very good hitter because Big Klu worked on him every day. Him and Cesar were his special projects.

Plus he bulked up for 150 to at least 170 by eating more food here in the states than he was in Venezuela. He was only 20 when he came up so he filled out.

Alex Gonzalez released by Tigers today. Option?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    No!!!!!!!!
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

8. Likes:

Crumbley (04-20-2014), Old school 1983 (04-20-2014)

I guess I'm one of the only ones that are fine w/ a mostly all-glove stud of a SS who can occasionally provide some pop out of the 8-hole.

10. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (04-20-2014), cincyinco (04-21-2014), CySeymour (04-20-2014), DocRed (04-20-2014), redsmetz (04-20-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (04-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    If the Reds DFA's Cozart right now, the Tigers would be the first team calling the Reds.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

12. Likes:

NCCardfan (04-20-2014), Old school 1983 (04-20-2014), Redeyecat (04-20-2014)

It seems like guys always have a break out game right after these types of threads are started. I hope that was the intention.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

14. Likes:

redsmetz (04-20-2014)

[redacted]

Shocked that the name "Stephen Drew" has not been mentioned at all in this thread. I was never particularly high on him, but if June rolls around and the draft pick comp disappears, do the Reds even give him a sideways glance? Or is it a foregone conclusion that Detroit swoops in?

Drew hitting at the top of the order could enable Price to move Hamilton down to the 8 spot, and give us a fantastic bench piece in Cozart. Is it even worth entertaining? It's not as if there's anyone waiting in the wings for the future.

Cozart has gone from I-11 to I-53 today.

Nice game for Cozart.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I woke up this morning after having a dream that the Reds re-signed Bailey to a 5-yr $100MM deal. I hope I'm wrong.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

OMG, it's almost like players will eventually regress/ingress to their level given a larger sample size.

19. Likes:

Always Red (04-20-2014), Brutus (04-20-2014), cincyinco (04-21-2014), powersackers (04-20-2014), Razor Shines (04-20-2014), Redeyecat (04-20-2014), RedlegJake (04-20-2014), RedsfaninMT (04-20-2014), Rockermann (04-21-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (04-21-2014)

The good field no hit shortstop, as a type, is as old as the hills. It's a very common type of player and whether the guy is a regular depends on the team, its philosophy, etc.

In Cozart's case, he doesn't exactly fit the bill because he has good power. Usually a good field no hit shortstop is more of a slap hitter.

The problem with Cozart has been his inability to come up with a reasonable OBP. The Reds decided to keep him this year and hopefully he can get his OBP at least to .300 or a bit higher. If he can't, it's a big minus.

One thing I haven't seen with this new hitting coach is any indication that patience is being emphasized with guys like Cozart and Heisey. Bruce on the other hand, has shown more patience this year.

At this stage, since Zack started poorly at the plate, we're probably in for a few more good hitting days, like today. He isn't this bad, so he'll catch up to the norm. Just wish the norm got him on base a bit more.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-20-2014 at 08:46 PM.

21. Likes:

Red Raindog (04-20-2014), Redeyecat (04-20-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (04-21-2014)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    Shocked that the name "Stephen Drew" has not been mentioned at all in this thread. I was never particularly high on him, but if June rolls around and the draft pick comp disappears, do the Reds even give him a sideways glance? Or is it a foregone conclusion that Detroit swoops in?

Drew hitting at the top of the order could enable Price to move Hamilton down to the 8 spot, and give us a fantastic bench piece in Cozart. Is it even worth entertaining? It's not as if there's anyone waiting in the wings for the future.
    I think it is assumed his cost will be the first hurdle -- his draft pick (at this time) is the second hurdle and the stats that say he isn't really much of an improvement over status quo is the third hurdle -- and lastly -- his health
    Last edited by Red Raindog; 04-20-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: typos
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

23. Likes:

Redeyecat (04-20-2014)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    T
    The problem with Cozart has been his inability to come up with a reasonable OBP. The Reds decided to keep him this year and hopefully he can get his OBP at least to .300 or a bit higher. If he can't, it's a big minus.
    Actually, it would be a "big average".

Turn Off Ads?