Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan O"Dowd out as Rockies GM

Dan O"Dowd out as Rockies GM

The Million Dollar Question: How did O'Dowd manage to retain his job for so long?

DENVER -- Dan O'Dowd resigned Wednesday as the Colorado Rockies' general manager after a mostly unsuccessful tenure.

His time at Coors Field reads like this: 15 years, four winning seasons, two postseason appearances.

O'Dowd wasn't the only team executive to resign Wednesday. Senior vice president Bill Geivett followed him out the front office door after Colorado's fourth consecutive losing season.

The Rockies are starting fresh from within, appointing Jeff Bridich to run the show. Bridich has served as the team's senior director of player development since 2011.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...ger-15-seasons
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dan O"Dowd out as Rockies GM

And they still didn't fire him, he quit on his own!
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Suddenly, for the first time in a long time, the competition for worst GM in baseball is wide open. I like to think that O'Dowd resigned because he finally developed a sense of shame.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

5. Likes:

757690 (10-08-2014)

I wonder if this means Cargo and Tulo will be available this off season.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Would you want to be the new GM that traded Tulo?

CarGo, maybe. I bet Tulo is there forevers.
    Suck it up cupcake.

8. Likes:

757690 (10-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Would you want to be the new GM that traded Tulo?

CarGo, maybe. I bet Tulo is there forevers.
    That sounds right. New GM's like to make statements with house-cleaning moves. But moving Tulo would get him strung up.

Not sure about CarGo's health, but he strikes me as a Walt-like pick-up.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

The thing I don't get about the Rockies is that in theory it seems so simple. Whoever they put out there on offense will tear it up cause they are playing half their games in hitter's paradise. So just trade high on a few of those guys to get some pitchers who can strike guys out and eat some innings. But every year the Rox end up with more and more emerging hitters and worse and worse pitch to contact starters who also seem to always get injured.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Great. Two expensive, injury-prone guys signed to long term deals. They'd fit right in here in Cincinnati.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

12. Likes:

757690 (10-08-2014), dwyerbrg (10-09-2014)

O'Dowd got the long rope because the owners are just wretched here in town. You should hear local sports radio. Eek.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Great. Two expensive, injury-prone guys signed to long term deals. They'd fit right in here in Cincinnati.
    Trade one injury prone, long term, expensive deal pitcher (Homer) for one injury prone, long term, expensive deal hitter (either Cago or Tulo).

Obviously, there'd be more to the deal, but that's a good starting point, imo.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

15. Likes:

M2 (10-08-2014), Revering4Blue (10-09-2014), Rojo (10-09-2014)

Trade one injury prone, long term, expensive deal pitcher (Homer) for one injury prone, long term, expensive deal hitter (either Cago or Tulo).

Obviously, there'd be more to the deal, but that's a good starting point, imo.
    I like that idea. That's the only way the Rox are going to get a veteran pitcher on a LTC. I also maintain that Homer being locked up makes him the Reds' most interesting trading chit.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The thing I don't get about the Rockies is that in theory it seems so simple. Whoever they put out there on offense will tear it up cause they are playing half their games in hitter's paradise. So just trade high on a few of those guys to get some pitchers who can strike guys out and eat some innings. But every year the Rox end up with more and more emerging hitters and worse and worse pitch to contact starters who also seem to always get injured.
    The Rockies have spent most of their history fretting about building a team that can win in Colorado, and they end up with teams that can't win anywhere. Just find good ballplayers and let the rest sort itself out.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I like that idea. That's the only way the Rox are going to get a veteran pitcher on a LTC. I also maintain that Homer being locked up makes him the Reds' most interesting trading chit.
    I doubt the Reds think that, however. I think they are committed to Homer until the end of the contract. But I agree with you, he's they're most interesting trading chip. If they can move that contract, improving is a lot easier.

I doubt the Reds think that, however. I think they are committed to Homer until the end of the contract. But I agree with you, he's they're most interesting trading chip. If they can move that contract, improving is a lot easier.
    It really comes down to risk tolerance and work avoidance. They probably don't want to consider moving Bailey because a lot of work went into cutting that deal. That's the work avoidance part. It also would put the organization under fire in terms of keeping at least two of Cueto/Latos/Leake. That's the risk tolerance part.

What they really should be viewing Bailey as is an asset. Maybe he's an asset they keep or maybe he's an asset who gets them what they need in terms of position players. They'd be crazy not to kick the tires on his market value when everyone is coming at them for pitching this winter.

20. Likes:

757690 (10-08-2014), Boss-Hog (10-08-2014), Revering4Blue (10-09-2014)

Well, If I'm the Rockies new GM, my pitching philosophy is starters with devastating fastballs and any slower pitch that looks like a devastating fastball. I'm less inclined to find guys with a ton of movement, because, that doesn't happen for 81 games for them. Pitchers that change speeds, that's the key.

Is Homer that guy? Cueto?

Or is it Latos? (answer, it is Latos.) He's the guy with the big overhand motion and downhill pitching style. He's younger than most everyone else on the staff. If you could do a sign and trade or give the rockies a window, then IMO he's the best option. Hitters go to Denver to be reborn, pitchers go there to die.

So, If I'm the Reds, I'd deal Latos for a significant bat, but I'd offer Leake.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?