Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Who made the BIGGER Mistake? Bryce Harper or Manager Matt Williams?

Re: Who made the BIGGER Mistake? Bryce Harper or Manager Matt Williams?

Yeah, I think Harper is overrated and I think they still take him. Machado has spent more time on the DL than the field, and Harvey has already missed a season due to TJ. Sale on the other hand is fantastic, but I think they still take Harper over him.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    He's still only 21? It feels like he's been in the league for 5 years already.
    If I'm not mistaken he was on the cover of Sports Illustrated as a 16 year old amateur, so your feeling isn't far off.

Edit: I wasn't mistaken
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-...tionals-032715

Google the internet for the keywords "Bryce Harper bust" and you're met with about 492,000 results in less than half a second. Obviously, we all know how Google works, so this isn't to say that there are nearly half a million instances of people calling Harper a bust, but it doesn't take long to find countless examples of people ready to write off the 22-year-old as a "bust." Even the players think he's overrated.

Of course, terms like "overrated" and "bust" are entirely subjective. Maybe, through one person's eyes, anything less than Mike Trout makes Harper a bust. A player can be considered "overrated" and still be very good. But is it at all fair for Harper, who's still never faced a pitcher younger than himself, to be hit with a bust label already? After all, he's still nine months younger than Kris Bryant -- who three MLB executives would already choose over Harper to build a franchise around -- and Harper has 55 career homers and 10 Wins Above Replacement under his belt.

To be fair: Yes, given the expectations, last year was a disappointment for Harper. Last year was supposed to be the year when he finally stayed on the field for 150 games and put it all together. Instead, he missed 57 games due to thumb surgery and struck out more than ever, while dropping more than 50 points off his isolated slugging percentage. For many bust-labelers, that was the last straw.

But if history is any indication, it's way too soon to write off a young talent who's already proven he can hit major-league pitching, and hit it well

5. Likes:

dougdirt (03-30-2015),Tom Servo (03-30-2015)

I picked up both Harper and Bryant in my FBB draft last night.

I also snagged Cueto and Votto FWIW.

My only Cardinal is John Lackey.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

Harper 'struggling' with a .768 OPS last season and people getting on his case has actually has made me like him more.

So has this.

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-30-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    I picked up both Harper and Bryant in my FBB draft last night.

I also snagged Cueto and Votto FWIW.

My only Cardinal is John Lackey.
    Wow. Must only be like 4 teams in your league lol

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Wow. Must only be like 4 teams in your league lol
    12-team league.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

Turn Off Ads?