Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who made the BIGGER Mistake? Bryce Harper or Manager Matt Williams?

Re: Who made the BIGGER Mistake? Bryce Harper or Manager Matt Williams?

I think it's ironic that Williams benched Williams for being lazy, because benching a guy to punish him is a very lazy way to manage, in my opinion.

Williams should have done what GAC recommended and had a long talk with Harper, in front of his teammates, then made Harper help the clubhouse guy pack up all the equipment after the game, or had Harper come in early and run sprints the next day. Taking a player out of a game as punishment punishes the rest of the team more than it does the individual player. It's a lazy way to manage.

It does remind me of one of my favorite classic Mickey Mantle stories. During Mantle's rookie year, Billy Martin convinced Mantle to go out drinking after the game, and they had such a great time that they missed the team bus to the Boston for a double header the next day. They spent hours trying to find a way to get to Boston, but ended up having to take a cab, driving in the middle of the night. They arrived at Fenway right as batting practice was about to start. Seeing that they were hungover, Yankee manager Casey Stengel went up to the two and informed them that to reward them for their hustle to get to the park on their own, he was starting both of them in both games of the double header and they were playing every inning.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-21-2014),joshua (04-20-2014),Raisor (04-20-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Busting your butt down the first base line is 99% of the time not worth it. If a guy throws the ball away, you are going to be safe either way. If not, you are out. This isn't little league where there are guys playing short and second who can barely throw the ball the distance required to get it to first base. It seems that the little league mentality stretches to the big leagues where this hustle to first effort is going to be rewarded more than three times a season. It won't be. But man, do people sure get mad over it.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-21-2014),Larkin Fan (04-29-2014),Raisor (04-20-2014),Razor Shines (04-21-2014),reds44 (04-21-2014),Tom Servo (04-20-2014),westofyou (04-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Busting your butt down the first base line is 99% of the time not worth it. If a guy throws the ball away, you are going to be safe either way. If not, you are out. This isn't little league where there are guys playing short and second who can barely throw the ball the distance required to get it to first base. It seems that the little league mentality stretches to the big leagues where this hustle to first effort is going to be rewarded more than three times a season. It won't be. But man, do people sure get mad over it.
    Yep, it's just like "use two hands to catch the ball" which originated when gloves didn't exist or were tiny leather lumps, or you were in little league. Hustling when talent wanes is always a credo, as it gains knowing when to hustle and when not to. It's part of being a professional. If it upsets the manager then he should take it private.

Help clean the clubhouse? Give me break, that's little league mentality in a professional atmosphere

7. Likes:

Raisor (04-20-2014),Razor Shines (04-21-2014),StillFunkyB (04-20-2014)

I pretend to mess up at work occasionally (just so my coworkers think I'm human. I'm not btw) I'm glad my boss doesn't make me clean out the break room.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Harper made the only mistake.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

If this were BP would we have a problem with the way this was handled. All winter long all I heard was how he didn't hustle...now its ok not to hustle. We cant have it both way fellas!!!

11. Likes:

markymark69 (04-20-2014)

Doug, I'm not saying he needs to sprint out every ball no matter where the ball is hit, but he can put forth some kind of effort. Most guys at least jog down the line thru first base, Harper never even made it to first. Just my opinion tho man!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Doug, I'm not saying he needs to sprint out every ball no matter where the ball is hit, but he can put forth some kind of effort. Most guys at least jog down the line thru first base, Harper never even made it to first. Just my opinion tho man!
    This is a key point in this play. Williams didn't punish Harper for not hustling, he punished him for not finishing the play. Harper gave up on it, and headed back to the dugout before he was out.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I've read Harper had been nursing a sore quad. If that's the case I wouldn't want him running hard on a popup.

Discipline and accountability is a fantastic attribute of leadership. It's about 1% as important as confidentiality, however.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

16. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-20-2014)

“We made an agreement,” Williams said. “He and I made an agreement. This team made an agreement that when we play the game, that we hustle at all times, that we play the game with intensity and the willingness to win. As it turned out, his spot came up. Kevin Frandsen put on a nice at-bat against [Trevor] Rosenthal. But his spot came up with the ability to win the game. That’s a shame for his teammates.”
    Harper said he “absolutely” understand Williams’s decision and “I respect what he did. It’s part of the game.”
    “I unequivocally support the manager’s decision 100 percent,” General Manager Mike Rizzo said.
    1. Williams said he made the right decision.
    2. Harper said Williams made the right decision.
    3. GM Rizzo said Williams made the right decision.

Seems like the only people up in arms about the situation are certain posters here at RZ. I'm not sure how Williams had any other choice: If you make a team rule, how do you then excuse your superstar the first time he breaks said rule?

Add the Creeper to the list who agree with Williams. Welsh just mentioned it on today's broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I've read Harper had been nursing a sore quad. If that's the case I wouldn't want him running hard on a popup.
    If he cant jog out a play to first base he shouldn't be out there!

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    If he's hurt, maybe he shouldn't be in there anyway.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    But the 1% could happen in a game you wind up winning. Teams often go to the playoffs or go home depending on the outcome of a single game. It matters.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?